PDA

View Full Version : RED BOAT HUNG GAR and LEUNG TING s FIVE PATTERN HUNG KUEN

FIRE HAWK
08-19-2000, 08:25 AM
HI what is Red boat Hung Gar and what kind of Hung Gar is in these books by LEUNG TING and YUEN YIK KAI called FIVE PATTERN HUNG KUEN.Are RED BOAT HUNG GAR and FIVE PATTERN HUNG KUEN the same style. FIRE HAWK

Sihing73
08-20-2000, 08:29 PM
Hi Firehawk,

Can't be of very much help but here is what I can offer.

Red Boat is probably referring to the Red Boat Opera Troupes. These were reputed rebel factions which would travel up and down the rivers performing and maintaining contact with otehr rebels /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Due to the fact that they could travel without arousing suspicion many rebels took advantage and used them as a cover. Also, after the "destruction" of the Shaolin temple many former monks took refuge among the troupes. I believe tehy got the name Red from the colors of the boats, but hey I was'nt there so I could be wrong.

I know that some Wing Chun traces its lineage to teh Red Boats. As to the Red Boat Hung Gar I have no knowledge but if there is a connection it is probably based on the Red Boats revolutionary focus. As the the the 5-pattern hung kuen I believe this is a fmaily system based on the five animals of Tiger/Crane/Leopard/Snake and Dragon. Not sure how this fits into other arts.

Sorry I was unable to offer more.

Peace,

Dave