PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin Tiger Boxing

ope
04-25-2001, 06:40 AM
anyone here do tiger claw? if so i have a question.. when imitating the claw on the hand do you use all 5 fingers or just 3? our school has a tiger claw which the strikes are with 3 fingers.. this tiger claw is soposed to be a natural style...

joedoe
04-25-2001, 08:12 AM
When we practise tiger, we use all 5 fingers. I may be wrong but I always thought the 3 finger claw was more eagle than tiger.

-------------------------------------
You have no chance to survive - make your time.

Starbuck
04-25-2001, 05:50 PM
When I was training in Hung Gar, we did a Tiger Claw with all five fingers and also a Dragon Claw with the thumb and first two fingers.

<HR>"It takes a big man to admit he's wrong...it takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man."

ope
04-25-2001, 09:25 PM
Thanks for your info guys..

CLFNole
04-25-2001, 09:57 PM
Choy Lay Fut also does its tiger claw with 5 fingers. It is used as a downward clawing technique and also as an upward technique hitting with the palm first and then bringing the claw down.

By the way what is a natural style? For that matter what is an unnatural style?

Peace.

Kung Lek
04-25-2001, 10:51 PM
hi-

all 5 are used to form and use the Fu Jow.

the thumb and two first finger is a crane fist and is used in the same manner as a claw but it is more for grabbing and siezing tender areas and acupuncture points.

The Dragon claw is similar to tiger claw, but Tiger claw is for tearing while dragon claw is for grabbing and twisting.

Eagle Claw is yet another hand form that works similarly to tiger claw.

Anyone who is learning Hung Gar, Choy Li Fut, Fut gar or Sil Lum Kung fu and other family styles based on Sil Lum will be familiar wiht the Fu jow hand form and it's usage early in their training. It is very key as it serves as a tearing weapon and a palm striking weapon at the same time and even in the same strike.

peace

Kung Lek

ope
04-26-2001, 07:28 AM
natural style or also know as natural boxing, nature fist, Tzu Jan Men..

it is a kung fu style that is very rare... if you would like some information about it give me your email and i will try to send you some..

Kung Lek
04-26-2001, 05:46 PM
hi-

starbuck- I have heard of the handform you describe (two fingers and thumb) as being associated with dragon.

The handform was called "Dragon Seeks Pearls" and it's usage is intended for eye gouges or strikes.

It is almost exactly the same hand form as the crane fist.

peace

Kung Lek

TatewakiKuno
07-30-2001, 09:22 PM
Does anyone know where I can find some good information dealing with Tiger style.

In the state where the mind, body and soul unite to transcend the power of enlightenment, the teachings of the zen believe the human spirit embodies the ability to master any domain. The desire to challenge the mind,the drive to push the limits and the motivation to defy the status quo. For all walks of life, the search for identity and wisdom begins with the attitude of the mind...

diego
11-05-2001, 01:59 AM
Topic: im seeking all info in regards the tiger claw
diego
Member posted 11-05-01 03:40 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
how many techniques do you guys know of and that are universal in kf,in the hungga tiger crane
theres in a catstance lead outgrab and rear front claw to face;or in bow stance lead forearm inward deflect and rear side claw to jaw;or from cat wave hand deflect and lunge in bow two claw etc.
how many combos yall know of,in my style i was told always make your lead claw on the bottom when doing two claw strike...
WHATCHAKNOW

any style hung-hsing

"I finish the job with a tiger claw into the throat. Remember guys'INSERT CORNY WHITEBOY VOICE' use extreme violence against your opponents always, that will discourage them from hurting other people" kungfu site technique sec.VS?."...

honorisc
11-09-2001, 08:19 AM
The tiger/crane form has double Phoenix Eye fist. Theoretically Shantung Black Tigeruses at least one single strike using the Phoenix-Eye fist formation. I derrived that Tiger Claw as a style/system, universally includes in at least small portion(s) a Phoenix Eye fist.

Very some such, perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

diego
11-11-2001, 02:47 AM
im not clear on why? your saying.

i get what your saying

but you wrote like i asked if tiger uses pheonix and you caught me off gaurd.

so alot of tiger methods use pheonix thats cool.one of my favourite fists...

you have good info on tiger or thats it

thanks

if i throw sand in ya face;WILL YOU Blink".

Stumblefist
11-11-2001, 09:34 PM
This should probably be in Southern:

Tiger Claw: has infinitite usage in DEFLECTIVE blocking patterns which easily merge into seizing, hooking, chin-na and grappling-throwing. Favorite exercise is circular clawing, something like wax-on, wax-off.
So... tiger-claw has "soft" applications as well as hard striking and scratching.

infinet
12-31-2002, 07:27 AM
Does anyone know of any websites with info about Shaolin Tiger Boxing?

David Jamieson
12-31-2002, 07:57 AM
shaolin tiger boxing is a fairly nebulous term.

the tiger is a framework model that several styles use.
For instance, Hung Gar, Southern Shaolin (generic), 5 animals, and others all have tiger style within them as either foundations , subsets or the entire system.

shaolin tiger boxing in and of itself would be a part of a larger style/system or can be a style on it's own. I haven't heard of it being an exclusive style, but definitely tiger is incorporate into shaolin kung fu as well as other non shaolin styles.

as for sites dealing with tiger, try any number of hung gar or hung related sites, or black tiger sites or 5 animals sites, etc etc.

cheers

infinet
12-31-2002, 08:06 AM
should've provided a little more info.

I know that its based on the Shaolin Quan style, and its founder was a pupil of Chee Soo. He called the style Atado Tiger Boxing.

Unfortunatley thats all i got :(

David Jamieson
01-01-2003, 06:19 AM
well, the atado folks have a website and contact information. i don't know if any students of that school post here, but you never know. :)

here's the link to their school

http://www.geocities.com/atadokf/

cheers

David Jamieson
01-02-2003, 09:32 AM
well to make a kick/punch or block faster and more effective is a matter of practice and use.

I don't think the Shaolin arts need to much "modifying", after all as far as I know the human form is the same as it ever was and the shaolin spent a few centuries refining the martial arts to begin with. how much more modification is required i wonder.

anyway, ght, your rolling eyes point is taken :D

cheers

Djuan
12-18-2019, 12:39 PM
nice (sanctioned) video highlighting Songshan Shaolin Tiger style

I reall like the young monks description of training and definition of kung fu. no fluff or mystery skills, just hardcore, boring as walking, repetition again and again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCnZRW7IWoE&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1r1qk2uUfJ0GlAoo4K6tOflcJn1A6_CoRT47j8b NdKcB60N1Rdgozq6Bw

FUN FACT: around the age 14, so around year 1999, I saw Shaolin Vs Lama (1983) the first time and it featured moves from Songshan Shaolin Tiger. This movie played a pivotal role in my decision to look to Songshan deeper. Before then I didn't now the difference between northern and southern tigers. Most movies that showed tiger style used the southern style. I still was pretty green about "kung fu" and even navigating KFTC magazine was difficult to the uninitiated (or super noobs like me) at the time.

plus my only training as a teen was in western boxing/kickboxing and some Jeet Kune Do/Wing Chun, so when I went to enroll in my first school, and it said "Shaolin 5 Animals" I got all excited. When I went there to get orientated, I didnt see Songshan Shaolin anything, and it looked more like karate, so I bailed. Pretty sure it was a hung gar/kempo school.
Next encounter was at Shaolin-Do school, again that school had no recognizable Songshan Shaolin curriculum so I didn't go there. Finally I found a teacher, who was a student at a Vietnamese Buddhist temple in the area, they taught Vovinam, and Songshan Shaolin kung fu. He wouldn't teach me anything aside from Jibengong and wubuquan, and later xiaohong quan.

The FUN FACT is, to this day, I still haven't learned that Songshan Shaolin Tiger style :) and I've learned many forms, .....so many, and none of which are animal forms. Though Chang Hu Xinyimen Quan is Tiger based, its not solely a tiger form. So if anyone wants to teach me Songshan Shaolin WuXing, I'm up for it lol

Amituofo