PDA

View Full Version : kyokushin

netfreak
01-01-2003, 05:02 PM
hey, anyone has any information on kyokushin karate that he could share...im all ears....how do you think it stacks up against 7 star praying mantis..?

Liokault
01-02-2003, 12:04 PM
Its not the style its the way you are tought, the way u train and the kind of person u are.

ok having said that Japanese=bad

Chinese=good

:D

netfreak
01-02-2003, 04:19 PM
lol......i have to admit that i was aiming for chinese martial arts myself. More traditional. Thanks bud.

NeedsPractice
01-04-2003, 09:34 PM
From my experience with it, ( i didnt stick with it for more than 6 months if that) a rather tough style of karate, at the dojo i went to you started sparring very, soon. I also got hurt very quickly. I believe the style tends to produce alot of fighters, they are very fight oriented, and without padding, so if you can last long enough it will toughen you up. They have their own tournaments, and generally speaking i respect anybody who earns thier black belt in it. I have also had experience with shorin ryu and tae kwon do. I prefer the philipino and chinese martial arts(i am staying with the chinese and philipino arts). My opinion the philipino and cmas will help you develop more fluid and continuous body movement than karate, and they also have a more relaxed mindset. Just my opinion, but it isnt what you know but how well you can use it.

shaolinboxer
01-05-2003, 09:52 AM
Many kyokushin practioners seem to be nearly insane. Have you ever watched one of their tournaments where they stand infront of oneanother blasting full power bareknuckle punches into oneanother's chests?

A dangerous style of karate because of competiton.

NeedsPractice
01-05-2003, 01:21 PM
i have never seen one of thier competitions, I have to get around to going to one, I know they have once a year at Hunter College in manhattan. Any way kyukushin wasn't for me.

Liokault
01-06-2003, 02:05 PM
I like the way the bill their art as tough and full contact but then dont allow hits to the head?

Big girls blowses!

Machimurasan
01-06-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by NeedsPractice
I have also had experience with shorin ryu and tae kwon do. I prefer the philipino and chinese martial arts(i am staying with the chinese and philipino arts). My opinion the philipino and cmas will help you develop more fluid and continuous body movement than karate, and they also have a more relaxed mindset. Just my opinion, but it isnt what you know but how well you can use it.

I lived in the PI for almost 10 years and the people there don't agree with your assessment of FMAs. The FMAs are supplementary and often the teachers are scheisters. I never ever saw anyone use FMAs in a real street confrontation. When I was there (and I am part Filipino btw) the styles folks took for real fighting were Shorin Ryu, Filipino-Chinese Kuntao/Silat, Boxing Muay Thai and now BJJ. The guys I knew who could fight on the street and in the ring were from these styles. To say that Shorin is non-Chinese and non-fluid, shows your lack of knowledge of this Ryu. Which Ryuha did you train in? Musta' been Matsubayashi.

Shorin is the only real Shaolin combatives left. At least the more Orthodox versions of it. Lates and learn...

Oh btw, KK karate (too many Ks for me), is the ultra-modern version of Shorin+Goju. It takes methods from Thai Boxing and Western Boxing. It is a modern sport oriented style. They do kata and other things besides sparring, I think (no kobudo though). In the real full-contact tourneys I entered and observed, neither they nor their harder than hard Shotokan step-bros could ever do isht. I never saw a Shotokan, Japanese Goju or KK guy do well at any tournamnet no matter the format. Maybe that's why they made K1 and other tourneys more KK friendly. Just my opinion based on actually experiencing many styles in SE Asia for the reals. KK is bad for your mind and body in the long run. And don't EVER get Okinawan Karate (Shorin/Goju/Uechi/Ryuei Ryu, etc.) mixed up with Japanese Karate like Shotokan and KK.

Okinawan MAs are VERY CHINESE, unlike the FMAs (Escrima-type) you mentioned. Lates...

NeedsPractice
01-06-2003, 09:00 PM
1.You will notice in my first post I said, its not what you know but how you well you use it.

2.Also I said in MY opinion and experience the chinese and philipino arts teach you a more fluid way of moving.

3. I said i had experience with shorin ryu and tkd, I said nothing further about shorin ryu or tkd.

I am glad you were able to find the hidden meaning in my words.

I am done with this thread. Good Luck.

Leto
01-07-2003, 08:56 AM
Hey, what's the matter with Matsubayashi style Shorin Ryu? :) It's practiced the same way as Matsumuraha, and Ko/Shobayashi. Much more fluid than Japanese styles. I learned from Matsubayashi lineage, and I met some folks in Okinawa from a Matsumura orthodox dojo...our stuff is the same, except for a couple of the advanced kata which aren't shared. :) Naihanchi and Pinan almost exactly the same.

I guess it all depends on the sensei, and the dojo, though. I've seen Shorin dojos that were pretty weak, as well. One guy teaching Kobayashi style (in Okinawa) had reduced the kata to little more than dances for children. Even children deserve better training than that.

And yes, Kyokushin is a modern Japanese hybrid style, supposedly built for tournament fighting. From what I've seen, they train hard, concentrating on competition. They have their own tournament format. It's really more of a MMA than a 'traditional' style...(though who can say what's really 'traditional' anymore...Shotokan advertises itself as 'traditional Japanese karate'. Just like BJJ could be 'traditional brazilian jiu jutsu :) )

Stranger
01-07-2003, 01:52 PM
Kyokushin back in the day did allow bareknuckle face punches. Most, if not all, of Oyama's early generations of instructors were trained this way. These guys are still teaching. Many dojos have classes in "Japanese Kickboxing" in their curriculum and provide the gear, time, and training to learn the skills of giving, avoiding, an taking (ouch) head shots- "Yo Adrienne, I can't make my hands stop shaking..."
:eek: :( :D

It is fair to note, many kyokushin dojos host instructors in other arts known for their hardcore training. One school I was familiar with offered regualr classes in Kyokushin, BJJ, Muay Thai, "Japanese kickboxing", boxing, judo, and SAMBO. Any communication I have had with people from kyokushin dojos mention similar experiences.

netfreak
01-12-2003, 09:19 AM
Well. I DID have one concern or a few. First of all, i agree with needspractice, from what i have seen, cma (7*pm) is more fluid and DOES have a more relaxed mindset. Also, if you start taking so many injuries from the beginning of training, where will your health be in the future? I thought martial arts were supposed to promote peace and health. What i'm trying to say is that i would like to study a ma that i can still practice some 20 years from now.

DragonzRage
01-21-2003, 10:11 PM
Kyokushin and its offshoots are usually regarded as hardcore fighting karate styles. They spar a lot, compete in full contact fighting, and a good number of top tier kickboxing and MMA fighters started from Kyokushin. For example, K-1 legends such as Francisco Filho and Andy Hug started as Kyokushin karate fighters. Although they had to supplement their skills by incorporating boxing and Muay Thai in order to succeed in K-1, both acknowledged Kyokushin as their base. The Kyokushin mentality is generally pretty tough, although in Kyokushin karate tournaments punching to the head is illegal.

I don't know much about 7 start praying mantis so I couldn't say how it stacks up against Kyokushin on paper. However, I would put Kyokushin above it just by virtue of the fact that Kyokushin produces fighters and has a hardcore mentality towards training and using their techniques to really fight. If i had to bet on a fight based on style alone, i would probably put my money on the Kyokushin guy any day of the week.