PDA

View Full Version : Bagua, knee problems

iron thread
01-01-2003, 09:52 PM
Is bagua supposed to exercise my knees? After I increased my circle walking today, my knees were sore, or just hurting.

Crimson Phoenix
01-02-2003, 07:58 AM
Was it the good kind of pain, or the bad one?
Bagua walking is definitely a total workout, but definitely not one that should damage you when properly done...so if it's the good soreness coming from a dedicated and intense training, then no probs...

Anyway, all I can say is "keep your knees relaxed" and also always be sure to keep them aligned with your thigh. I believe, or at least that is what I have been taught and witnessed, that whatever stepping you do (kou bu, bai bu etc...), the changing of direction comes once again from the hips, hence the whole leg rotates on its axis to close or open the circle. I have noticed people putting too much attention on their knee, which made them tense their hips and therefore put extra tension on the knee when they would attempt to twist it when doing kou pu or bai bu...it also made them tense the muscles along their shins, which can slow your stepping or kicking too.
So just be sure to rotate the leg as one unit, and not disconnect it at the knee level, therefore creating a harmful tension in your joints. Also, when you step, always make sure you let the weight of your body rest on the front tendons of the thigh, and not on your knee instead.
I practice mud walking, but I guess the same advices can apply for other versions such a chicken stepping...

[Censored]
01-02-2003, 11:20 AM
Anyway, all I can say is "keep your knees relaxed" and also always be sure to keep them aligned with your thigh.

Thigh AND foot!

Crimson Phoenix
01-02-2003, 01:08 PM
uhh..yeah, that was kind of implied :D
Thanks for the clarification though ;)

paperweight
01-02-2003, 01:35 PM
I had the same problem when I increased circle walking too. The pain went away after 2 weeks.

Walking like you would on thin ice will make the step lighter.

iron thread
01-02-2003, 09:31 PM
Thank you for the advice. I believe it's mud stepping. I'm assuming that it's the good kind of pain, it became fine the next day and I'm ready for more.