PDA

View Full Version : Ot: Ps2

Serpent
01-01-2003, 10:08 PM
Hey dudes

What's the Sony PlayStation 2 like as a DVD player? Can it play all region DVD's? Can it play VCD's? Can it play chess?

Any and all opinions welcome.

Cheers.

Serpent
01-01-2003, 10:10 PM
Not only does this forum have a serious censorship problem, look what it did to the T in OT and the S in PS2 in the title of this thread! I wanted a d@mn capitals there and it changes it to lower case. Like a godd@mn forum can correct my spelling and grammar! :mad:

Anyway, back to the question...

Serpent
01-01-2003, 11:07 PM
Well? Come on, some of you must have PS2's!

Souljah
01-02-2003, 05:22 AM
-no it doesnt play all regions unless you get it chipped or get the multi region card.
-the standard box cant play vcd's but a couple of m8s of mine got theirs chipped (cant remember which chip) and now it does.
apparently some chips even enable it to play divx's.

YES, you can play chess just get saddle-bag ass chess 2003, its a hell of a game, bu it does do as the name implies.....

:D

hope this helps......

:cool:

soul

FatherDog
01-02-2003, 10:53 AM
Just to note; playing DVDs frequently on a PS2 will rapidly wear down the laser lens, which is about a $90 replacement if you don't have it under parts warranty.

Souljah
01-02-2003, 11:35 AM
yea my friend did that, but after his warranty ran out so he had to go get a new one......

since were talking about consoles does anyone know anything of the xbox2 and ps3?
Like when they will be released, and specs and stuff.....

Oso
01-02-2003, 12:42 PM
Does that go double for the Xbox?

I bought the xbox on a recommendation from a friend that it
was a very good dvd player as well and wanted to kill two
birds with one stone.

But, I don't want to kill it's game playability.

thanks,

Matt

FatherDog
01-02-2003, 02:45 PM
Oso: I haven't heard anything about whether or not the X-box has the same problem. The root cause, however, is the use of laser lenses that are cheaper than standard DVD lenses. They're quite suitable for use with games, but DVD's put a heavier wear on them, causing them to wear down prematurely. I suspect that the X-box may well have the same problem, since correcting it would be expensive and they lose money on the console as it is.

Chang Style Novice
01-02-2003, 02:57 PM
My recommendation:

If you want a dvd player, buy an all region one. The best are by Malata, but they're also pretty expensive. Sampo is #2 in price and quality. I got a knockoff from ebay for <$100, but it's kind of a piece of **** - it's played every disc I've put in it, though (no DIVX or VCD as of yet.)

If you want a console, also by a DVD player. In what world is Tekken Tag a better use of your time than Nights of Cabiria anyway?:p

if you want to play realistic, nerve wracking games, date a neurotic.