PDA

View Full Version : Taoist Tai Chi

Stormcrow
01-02-2003, 10:48 AM
Is Taoist Tai Chi "real" Tai Chi or just glorified new-age yoga?
I would like to study Tai Chi but I am more interested in the martial art ..not the health aspect.
There is another program offering Yang style Tai Chi. Would that be more of what I am looking for?

taijiquan_student
01-02-2003, 11:26 AM
Taoist Tai Chi looks like bullshi.t, from their website and statements about what they do and their teacher. If you're looking for a martial art, look elsewhere. It may be good for senior citizens, and improve balance to reduce falling, but that wasn't your question.
It sucks, but the chances that the other Yang Taiji program is what you're looking for are slim. Still, it would be worth it to go check it out anyway.

David Jamieson
01-04-2003, 05:01 PM
Taoist Tai Chi was introduced to North America by Mr. Moy, a Taoist master who studied the Taoist arts of health and longevity for over 40 years. By synthesizing the theory and practice of the Taoist internal arts of health, Taoist meditation, and traditional Chinese medicine, Master Moy developed a form of Tai Chi that gives special emphasis to restoring and maintaining a state of natural health and well-being.

The quote above is a statement from their website.

An observation:

Moy Lin Shin died at the age of 67.

Don't know what to say about the "longevity" factor there.

food for thought
cheers

Souljah
01-10-2003, 07:23 AM
this site should not put you off taoist taichi.
Most of the clubs that are advertised on the net are BS sites, not that the style taught is bs but but you shouldnt go solely on what you read over the net. One of the reasons you dont find alot of Daoist taichi sites is because the actual style is held very close to the chest by most practitioners.

I have seen a couple of DaoistTC sites and they all seem like someone just trying to make a buck. Real dao chi - said to come from san feng himself, is not like the stuff you see on these sites.
But then I wouldnt be allowed to tell you much more myself. Its all hush hush and stuff, and unless you know a daochi practitioner your not likely to find out much factual info about it.

Yang style or chen (if you can find it) would probably be your best bet.

Zhiu
05-07-2003, 10:36 AM
your responses everyone are really really stupid no offense to everyone who replied but i personally knew master moy and he's no bullsh*t.

and he died of mumps.

when he first came to canada he did teach the combat aspect of tc but he then changed to the health aspect.

i know his senior student he's a friend of my grandmother's. he's no master but his power is insane.

just bottom line, if you don't know the guy don't discredit it.

to tell the truth though ever since master moy died the club's been sh*t.

Brad
05-07-2003, 12:30 PM
Being an expert in health doesn't make you imune to all desease

ZIM
05-07-2003, 02:22 PM
Suffice to say: it has it's worth. Calling it 'glorified new-age yoga' is not accurate...

If you want fighting, go to other places. Instructors for that org. typically promise that they will not teach fighting aspects. Hence, the art is 'defanged' for them. Exploring that on your own is frowned upon, I'd bet?

Repulsive Monkey
05-07-2003, 04:11 PM
All those things they say their super duper Taoist Taiji does, normal Taiji does just as well (probably even better). Plus anyone who calls their Taiji "Taoist Taiji" should be avoided like the plague anyway for being simpletons, as everyone knows that Taiji derives from Taoism. If they feel the need to spell it out like everyone else's Taiji has nothing to do with Taoism then their's is probably a pile of poo, sorry but it is.

fragbot
05-07-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Brad
Being an expert in health doesn't make you imune to all desease

Hmmm, I've never spoken to a health expert before who recommended eschewing the MMR vaccine*.

Taoist Tai Chi? I thought they were toast after the Dear Leader died. Have they ever answered the most basic questions--who taught MLS his TJQ and how long was he a student?

Sigh. Last time I did some research on them, they still considered this question an unnecessary bother. If you look at their lineage link on their current webpage, it's devoid of substance. Hell, they still promote the idea that Zhang San Feng created TJQ.

Tell ya what, I'll teach you as much TJQ as they will and I'll generously do it for free. Ready. Set. Okay, lesson's finished.

*heading some jerk*** apologist off at the pass, I'll concede the vaccine doesn't provide iron-clad immunity. That being said, is it more likely he was never vaccinated or that the vaccine failed?

fragbot
05-07-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by ZIM
Suffice to say: it has it's worth. Calling it 'glorified new-age yoga' is not accurate...

It'd be a shame to needlessly insult the yoga practitioners in the world.

If you want fighting, go to other places. Instructors for that org. typically promise that they will not teach fighting aspects. Hence, the art is 'defanged' for them. Exploring that on your own is frowned upon, I'd bet?

Promise they will not teach fighting aspects?

*chuckle* I solemnly swear to never ever perform a heart transplant. Furthermore, I promise never to become pregnant.

On another forum (albeit one that's widely perceived as intolerant by some of our less-than-critical thinking members of the internal community; particularly so by those who make wildly inappropriate meta-physical claims), I've seen this group discussed in detail. One thing I remember is there was some concern about the way they carry their body during their routine and its potential for injury.

Zhiu
05-07-2003, 08:11 PM
i'm not sure about lineage but my grandmother has met MLS's sifu in hong kong when my grandfather was sick and needed help.

and i think the site is bs too but you're knocking the sifu and that's the bad thing.

learning martial arts such as tai chi will not make you immune to disease just like learning anything else won't make you immune to bullets.

i'm defending a lost cause because you people either agree or strongly disagree. i just read this post and saw them knocking the school. don't joke around you don't know how many people this has helped and i've seen it so lay off.

woliveri
05-07-2003, 08:26 PM
What about Eva Wong? I think that's her name. As I recall many years ago she wrote a book Cultivating Stillness.

http://helios.unive.it/~dsao/pregadio/articles/notes/wong.html

I thought she was a top student of Master Moy?

Zhiu
05-07-2003, 08:40 PM
personally i don't know her i know 3 of his close students including my grandma and her si hing who lives in toronto. i don't study as hard or train as often as a lot of people here mostly 20 minutes a night pushing hands with my grandma.

i'm not like some zealot for Master Moy i'll admit a lot of his students well i'd say 99% of them do it for health but that's their choice and his choice to teach so i don't see why so many people are disrespecting him.

if you train for health you still learn the mechanics if you train hard you still learn the way to generate power. you just don't know the application of the moves. the best example is my grandmother she's been doing it for 18 years and she's like a brick wall. not like i think she'd survive a fight but she can push me pretty hard for a 77 year old and she's pretty immoveable so that's my basis.

i'm sure the people who practise for combat are very good but just cause this isn't combat everyone puts on a sour face towards it

ZIM
05-07-2003, 08:51 PM
Zhiu-
I don't know if anyone's really knocking the sifu's abilities so much as the organisation left behind... for whatever reason [I thot it was a religious thing] the schools teach no martial aspects and IIRC it straightens the limbs, there is no push hands, no contact.

On the plus side, it's generally very low cost so it can't hurt, maybe for a warm-up regimen, wushu form, or initial qiqong teaching.

it really depends on what you are after..

Zhiu
05-08-2003, 02:53 PM
the new guy who runs it decided no more zhang zhong and no more push hands. some people who go know it but nobody really does it anymore. i know what you mean yeah the organization right now is kind of bad