PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in an Acupuncturist?

Ming Yue
01-02-2003, 11:41 AM
Hello:

How can I tell if my TCM practicioner is a good one?

I have recently begun seeing a TCM practicioner because I am wanting to essentially increase my metabolism/improve my circulation. My fire doesn't burn very hot and I have fitness goals that would be better attained if my motor ran better. :)

She is very open and receptive, asked me a barrage of questions, thoroughly analyzed my body, my diet and lifestyle. Although I told her I had no prior experience with TCM (save for some articles and a book on TCM dietary concepts) She does not offer me a lot of information, and I worry that my lack of knowledge may keep me asking the right questions.

I have seen her three times. I find the sessions very invigorating, although the first time I got a little dizzy. All three times I have developed a pale pink rosy stripe about 2 inches across from my chest to my lower abdomen - not irritated, just pink and warm, lasting a few hours.

She does not manipulate the needles, just taps them in and leaves me be for 20 minutes or so. I will ask her about that at our next meeting. She has prescribed herbs which I use and I have modified my diet to be in accordance with my goals.

What should I be asking her? Can anyone suggest a book to help me understand what to expect? and finally, Can anyone reccommend a good TCM practiciouner in the Asheville, North Carolina area?

Thanks in advance,
C

Repulsive Monkey
01-02-2003, 12:12 PM
If you want to find out if shes good firt things first, ask her where she trained and if they were an accredited college.
Ask if she practices any other energy arts/martial arts etc. so that she has a genuine feeling for qi.
She probably is manipulating the needle but its so fine or slight that you're not noticing it. The 3 main needle techniques are one which just goes in on its own then another which requires constant lifting and thrusting with a twist to the needle and then theres a straightforward tonification i.e. it goes it, it does a twist and then comes out again.

Ming Yue
01-03-2003, 07:58 AM
I appreciate your help. I'll talk more with her about what I should expect and what her background is...

-C

David Jamieson
01-08-2003, 08:39 PM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0809228408/ref%3Dnosim/lksmsubsite-sub-bk-asin-20/102-9472316-9299354
The web that has no weaver.
ISBN 0-8092-2840-8

This is a pretty good book MingYue.

Also, some acupuncturists will use direct needling while others prefer the distal points of the meridians, while others still will use combinations of the two.

dependent upon your needs will generally direct the tcm prac in how they treat you.

don't be afraid to ask questions either.

cheers

Repulsive Monkey
01-13-2003, 07:55 AM
Kung Lek has selected a classic book here for you to peruse, Katchputs book is a second to none variety on Chinese medicine from a layman's point of view.

Former castleva
02-01-2003, 02:00 PM
At first and as before,make sure the doc is qualified (understanding theory on tcm besides simple needling will not hurt)
What really does not hurt,is to notice that your acupuncturist is also trained in western medicine. :)