PDA

View Full Version : grip strength

TjD
01-02-2003, 02:29 PM
well i took a good month and a half off from the gym (2nd to last semester in college + lots of work = no time)... at least i went to all my kung fu classes

anyways, since im a scrawny ******* and would like to bulk up i've decided to do "the bear" :D and today was my first day

i ran into a bit of a problem on my 7th set of deadlift. my legs were just fine, but my grip gave out and i just couldnt hold the bar anymore :)

any suggestions for what to do to fix this? i figure i'll go out and get those wrap thingys. any other suggestions?

WinterPalm
01-02-2003, 05:07 PM
Wraps suck.
If you can't hold the weight then you can't lift the weight even if you use straps. All straps will do is phase out some muscle groups in favor of others. The grip and all related muscles are just as important at using and developing through deadlifts.
Don't cheat.

You can also check out www.ironmind.com for great grip devices. I'll suggest the Captains of Crush.

Mckind13
01-02-2003, 05:26 PM
What is the bear????

IronFist
01-02-2003, 09:35 PM
I would wager to say that with the bear program, squats would build more leg mass than deadlift.

IronFist

SevenStar
01-02-2003, 10:55 PM
bear is a training program outlined in "Power to the People".

Cheese Dog
01-02-2003, 11:13 PM
Never use wristwraps. You will end up with underdeveloped grip, hand, and forearm muscles compared to your legs and back which in time will probably lead to an injury. You'll be able to generate more power with the rest of your body than your wrists and hands can absorb.
Squeezing those grip exercisers, tennis balls, and the like can help. Also wrist curls and reverse wrist curls for the forearms. But I've found the best way to develop grip strength is to simply load a barbell with more weight than I can deadlift (use a power rack) and hold that weight as long as possible. Do that twice a week and each time try to add a few seconds to your hold. After a month or two you should be surprised at how much your grip strength has improved.

scotty1
01-04-2003, 05:57 PM
In an article I read about Malysian Kung Fu, they just squeezed something hard in sets of 30 to improve their grip.

shaolinboxer
01-05-2003, 09:45 AM
Just walking around making fists, from pinky to index finger, will improve your grip over time. Imagine rolling your fingers so far they make circles and touch tip to base (impossible since your palm is in the way). Weapons work also helps.

Former castleva
01-05-2003, 09:55 AM
Was not there a post on this a while ago?
I know there was since I posted a reply,you might want to look for it.

Lung Hu Pai
01-05-2003, 01:20 PM
for grippers, an Ivanko Supergripper might be a better bet because it has a lot of different settings to build up your grip strength. also, using a wrist roller has really helped with my grip endurance too.