PDA

View Full Version : speed

Tsukasa_1
01-02-2003, 04:01 PM
I was wondering what are some effective and fast methods of training to enhance speed and jumping height and distance. I currently use a weighted vest.
Any suggestions are appreciated

TjD
01-02-2003, 04:16 PM
olympic lifts - push press and cleans are very good for leg speed which correlates to jumping.

i've heard plyometrics are good for this as well - but i dont know much about them :)

and of course - jump more :D

SevenStar
01-02-2003, 10:58 PM
o lifts, plyos and sprinting.

Cheese Dog
01-02-2003, 11:27 PM
Plyometrics:
Upperbody-Claphands pushups. Everyone knows how to do these.
Lowerbody-Box jumps. Jump off a box about 18 to 24" tall and as fast as possible jump back on. Make sure you land "soft" to absorb impact. Good shoes are very important to lessen shock and you wouldn't want to do these on a hard surface like concrete. Grass or a nice wood floor or rubber gym matting are nice. Do these when you are fresh. not tired out from an hour or two of practice. Keep the sets and reps low to hit the fast twitch muscle fibers, 3 to 5 sets of 3 to 5 reps.

Tsukasa_1
01-15-2003, 06:59 PM
thanks everybody

cheese dog would you frown on using a weighted vest or not
(I understand this is supposed to be a speed exercise)

Cheese Dog
01-15-2003, 10:48 PM
I don't see any reason why you couldn't SLOWLY work up to using a weighted vest during plyometrics.

For instance, when you get to the point that regular clap-hands pushups are easy, start doing pushups where you slap your CHEST instead. You have to push considerably harder and be faster to do these. Then, when these are easy go back to clap-hands pushups with the vest.

For the lower body, start without the vest jumping only about 18" or so and gradually raise the height. When you work up to your highest drop back down to 18" and put on the vest.

Happy training,

Cheese Dog

Mizong_Kid
01-16-2003, 05:45 AM
ok so clap hand push ups.........that puts strain on the wrist.....but i guess it builds ur wrist up right? hey i have never done those before!

but i was amazed how all those wushu guys can jump and great heights and spin numerous times..... www.bilang.com

HOW HOW HOW??!?!? so by add weights to urself while you jump u are guranteed to increase ur jumping height over time??

Cheese Dog
01-16-2003, 01:05 PM
Yes, but remember the key is SLOW and GRADUAL PROGRESSION. If you push it too fast injuries occur. Take it from me--aching knees from pushing yourself to hard are no fun!

On the depth jumps raise the height at about 1" per 1 or 2 weeks. And remember to always do plyometrics first in your workout, right after your warmups. NEVER do more that 5 sets of 5 reps on these. Doing them when you are tired greatly increases your chances of injury.

Oh and if you are getting wrist strain on claphands pushups you could do knuckle pushups and fingertip pushups for a few weeks to strengthen them.

ricksitterly
01-19-2003, 06:09 PM
The best way to improve your speed would be to start grappling in jiu jitsu. The workout has proven to stimulate both fast twitch and slow twitch muscles in the entire body... not to mention that it will help burn off exess fat ( promoting more speed ). Because you want to improve speed, you must grapple people that are at least as fast as you are. When I first started doing jiu jitsu I gained up to 6 inches on my maximum jump height within 3 months. It's complicated to explain, but just try it and you'll see...trust me. Dont waste your time with all that theoretical crap they're suggesting to you. Straight grappling is what you need.

rubthebuddha
01-20-2003, 10:28 PM
jujutsu the best way to increase your speed? bull. jujutsu is simply the best way to improve your jujutsu.

pretty soon he's going to say jujutsu is the best way to improve your driving.

practice olympic lifts and plyometrics as a supplement to simply doing quickly what you want speed for in the first place. doing a lift quickly may aid the muscles, but doing the activity you want speed in quickly is the best way to do it.

SirenOfAcreLane
01-23-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by ricksitterly
Dont waste your time with all that theoretical crap they're suggesting to you. Straight grappling is what you need.

hahahahahahahaahahahahhhahahaahah

stop posting, you ****ing idiot