PDA

View Full Version : Observing and learning

Kinjit
01-02-2003, 06:05 PM
Just thought this could make for a worthwile discussion... When observing a new technique being taught, how do you take it in? For example, if you come into a new style (or at a seminar) and you are presented with movement that isn't anything like you have done before, it can be a bit overwhelming. For the gross coreography of movement, I personally have to break it down into steps. What are the legs doing? The arms? If it's not appropiate at the moment to do the technique in the air while the instructor is demonstrating, I try to visualise and "feel" the technique in my body. Thoughts?

SevenStar
01-02-2003, 08:02 PM
depends on the complexity behind the movement. If it's simple, there may be no need to break it down. If it's not so simple , then break it down. After I know the movements, I look at the principle behind it.

straight blast
01-02-2003, 08:29 PM
Just thought this could make for a worthwile discussion...

Yeah it does actually...I was thinking about this just the other day when learning a new technique. I have a little system that works wonders for me.

First I listen to what the instructor is saying and watch his movement from every angle I can get. I try to take it in as a big picture, not "Ok, hand doing this, feet doing that" sort of thing...I try to visualise the body (and my opponent) as a whole. When I'm trying myself I like to completely empty my mind...not listening to anything, sometimes even closing my eyes while I envision the technique in my mind.

Since the principles of Wing Chun are really quite logical from a biomechanical point of view I usually start to pick them up very quickly. I'll just be there, focused but empty and bang! I'll pick it up. Sometimes it takes longer but only if I can't envision the whole picture all at once. Anyone else?

Sasha
01-02-2003, 08:42 PM
My approach:

Get stuck behind some tall guy who's positioned themselves right in front of me, jump to see over his shoulder, just in time to see the technique retracted. Repeat. Attempt technique. Trip over own feet.

dnc101
01-02-2003, 11:29 PM
Sasha- good system, and quite common in many schools! :D

I work out with martial artists from other styles. I allways look for the principles involved. You can learn it by copying, but to really execute a technique or move you have to understand the principles. Then I try to bring it back to my base. Similarities, differences? Do we do something similar? How does my style deal with this kind of move? How does my style address these principles? It's fun to work out with, say, an Escrimadore- but I practice Kenpo. Learning an Escrima move does me no good if I can't apply it in my base.

TjD
01-03-2003, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by Kinjit
Just thought this could make for a worthwile discussion... When observing a new technique being taught, how do you take it in? For example, if you come into a new style (or at a seminar) and you are presented with movement that isn't anything like you have done before, it can be a bit overwhelming. For the gross coreography of movement, I personally have to break it down into steps. What are the legs doing? The arms? If it's not appropiate at the moment to do the technique in the air while the instructor is demonstrating, I try to visualise and "feel" the technique in my body. Thoughts?

usually i just repeat it over and over until i think i either a. got it, or b. got the idea behind it - then i can practice it later until i got it :D in my classes when a new concept we drill it extensively. (there really arent any new movements anymore - just new ways of using old movements. wing chun is fairly simple in the number of hands and such)

the best way to learn a new movement is to practice it :) just like the best way to get better at old movements are to practice them

Laughing Cow
01-03-2003, 04:38 AM
I normally to the breakdown and see how the principles apply to it.
Naturally depending on how much I know about the style been shown.

After that I try to see how much of the principles of my style apply to it.

TkdWarrior
01-03-2003, 05:00 AM
well i m with others normally my teacher(tai chi) hav to show it at least 4 times, one for legs, one for arms, one for eyes n last one for whole body :D
-TkdWarrior-

Souljah
01-03-2003, 09:20 AM
for more complex moves.
Similar to what straight said, I watch my teacher to it from multiple angles, and sort of "record" what he says as each move is done (and when i try to perform it for the first time), and as I do the move (breaking it down into sections and also doing what you said about hands and legs kinjit) I hear his voice in my mind - it sounds like some cheap movie rip off but for me it works.
When I finish a form I try and compile the "recordings"
(lol-dont laugh!!) :( :cool:

Sasha
01-03-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by dnc101
Sasha- good system, and quite common in many schools! :D

Darn, I thought I might be able to patent it :)

Kinjit
01-03-2003, 05:07 PM
Thanks for replying... I believe awareness of your own body is crucial in understanding movement - another thing is having reference points. A person coming from a pure striking style will probably not have much reference for positioning and movement in grappling on the ground. Thus, by training in all ranges and under as diverse conditions as possible you develop reference points that enables you to see the underlying principles of movement and apply them in an unfamiliar situation. It might also be rambling bull**** from a beginner. :p