PDA

View Full Version : The "karate chamber".

rogue
01-02-2003, 07:52 PM
Chambering the hand (http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=317)

Sasha
01-02-2003, 08:33 PM
Err... Is it just me, or is that article saying 'there are instances when your arm would happen to be in *roughly* the same position as a Karate chamber for a split second, ergo a Karate chamber is a good neutral position to keep your hands in'?

I'm not quite sure I follow the logic there, t'be honest. I might be in the position of lying on my back at some point in a fight, but it doesn't mean I'm gonna pick it as an ideal stance :P

Mr Punch
01-02-2003, 11:03 PM
Maan, I just came out of 'The Karate Chamber'... left the beotches all begging for mercy! :D

That Bubishi is one interesting book for any martial artist. Well, for me.

dnc101
01-02-2003, 11:18 PM
Sasha- it's just you. At any rate, that's not what I understood it to say.

I don't like the chamber, but for those styles that do use it I think it is a good idea to explore its applications. My style uses all those applications, but on their own as stand alone moves. If I grab his wrist to pull him into my striking zone, I anchor my elbow. A back elbow strike is a back elbow strike, which is similar but has some subtle differences. And a trap or break is a trap or break, practiced as such.

Personnaly, I like to keep a check in place instead of automatically chambering. And a properly thrown punch from point of origin is generally as powerful as from a chamber- sometimes more. It is certainly quicker and harder to deal with, and more versatile.