PDA

View Full Version : What Style To Start On?

Xuon
01-03-2003, 05:08 PM
Hi all im new here
I was wondering what could be the base of my fighting to start on.
Since im new to this I found some schools near my area, that teach, Jiu Jitsu, Kenpo, Karate, Judo, Street Fighting, Boxing and Vale Tudo.

Basically I want something that it's agressive, for self defense.

Regarding my body type, I used to be a soccer player, so I have the body of a soccer player :P

thx for the replies

Ohh btw, they have Pancrace too

PHILBERT
01-04-2003, 12:13 AM
Where do you live?

Since im new to this I found some schools near my area, that teach, Jiu Jitsu, Kenpo, Karate, Judo, Street Fighting, Boxing and Vale Tudo.

Define street fighting, there is no street fighting art. I'd assume that the JuJutsu, Kenpo, Karate schools would teach something of street fighting.

This is a personal choice though. Do you like being close to your opponent? Like REAL close? Like hugging them close? If so (or if not) avoid Judo and JuJutsu (Is it Japanese JuJutsu or Brazilian?) and Vale Tudo.

Boxing is probably for sport though, not a hole lot of street fighting aspects there since they don't train kicks.

This is though a personal choice, we get people here once in a while that say "What should I take?" and everyone replies "Personal choice", it's what fits you. Some people here feel that Hung Gar is there thing, other people think Choy Lay Fut, Shaolin, Brazilian JiuJitsu, etc.

What I recommend though is going to the schools, meet the instructors, see if you can take a free class there or watch one. Another thing I recommend is just appearing, never call ahead of time "Hey can I stop in and take a look?" Just appear. If the instructor won't even let you WATCH a class, walk away.

Keep note though that if you take Karate, JuJutsu, Judo, Kenpo, you'll be barefoot when you train, so respect the school when you enter and remove your shoes if you plan on walking around the training floor.

Scarletmantis
01-04-2003, 12:58 PM
It has been said that the teacher is more important to your progress in a martial art than the style you choose. I would personally make my selection as far as style goes in the following way.

1) What sort of threat do you feel you are most likely to face?
Do you expect to be attacked by larger assailants? Multiple attackers? Both? (you should ;) )

2) How would you naturally attempt to defend yourself with no training?

Would you grab your opponent? Would you push your assailant and run away? Would you punch, kick or scratch him (them)?

3) Do you want your MA to develop your natural response, or would you like to learn a different way?

Some schools of thought feel it's best to work with your natural talents, as these are what you'll fall back on in a life or death situation. Others feel that they need to "unlearn" an ingrained response because that response may be tactically inappropriate. (curling up in a ball and crying, for example)

That's all I have time for now. Good Luck!

scotty1
01-04-2003, 05:53 PM
Go for the class whose teacher trains most realistically, ie. hard sparring, covering different ranges.

"Boxing is probably for sport though, not a hole lot of street fighting aspects there since they don't train kicks."

I'd say because of the training methods boxers are better placed for self defense than a lot of MA who train kicks in an unrealistic way.

Xuon
01-04-2003, 08:47 PM
Whats the diference between Brazilian and Japanese Jujutsu or whatever its called.
Because I saw Jet Li fight and he doesn't do grapling moves or close combat, and to my knowledge he trained Jujustsu right?

scotty1
01-05-2003, 11:25 AM
Traditional jujitsu uses strikes and kicks, as well as throws and other grappling techniques, I think.

BJJ focuses mainly on groundwork, chokes and stuff, and utilises "the guard", which is kind of a base for the other techniques.

I think BJJ trains pretty hard, full contact, all of the time, although obviously they use the tap out system, whereas trad JJ probably has the same problem as every other traditional art and most of the classes probably don't spar very hard at all.

This is all conjecture on my part though, I don't much about JJ / BJJ at all.

Erm, I don't think Jet Li has ever trained JJ or BJJ! Maybe he has though, I don't know. What you see him use in a lot of his movies is movie-fu, as he trained wushu when he was a kid (kung fu with little martial application).

Can someone help me out a little here?:confused:

carly
01-05-2003, 01:44 PM
and a little boxing training can vastly improve any martial artist.
Take boxing and the street fighting school - it should be a mixed martial art - MMA - with a bit of everything.

PHILBERT
01-06-2003, 12:03 AM
Japanese JuJutsu is BJJ's grandfather. As far as it goes, I don't know how much BJJ differs from JuJutsu (does JuJutsu have similar moves as BJJ does?).

True, boxing would be better than a kicker who can't kick, but imagine if a boxer were to fight a person who knows how to kick?

It still rests upon your shoulders. You will get the boxers in here to say boxing, the BJJ to say BJJ, the Kempo to say Kempo, it's in your personal preference and the teacher. Take me, I am not a fan of BJJ because I really couldn't get it down. I tried it out for a couple months and it just wasn't sticking to me, so I dropped it.

Xuon
01-07-2003, 02:01 AM
thx for all the info guys :)
Ill think ill stick to Kung Fu and then move on to learn from other stuff, thats the most complete right?