PDA

View Full Version : Ranking system in CLF

Kymus
08-23-2000, 07:05 PM
I was just currious as to the ranking system in Choy Li Fut and the requirements to each. Any info would be most appreciated.

-Kymus-

------------------
"Crosstraining is the key"
~Sifu Rick Tucci~

CLFNole
08-23-2000, 07:37 PM
Generally Choy Lay Fut does not have a ranking system. As with most traditional CMA schools everyone wears the same color sash (color varies depending on school). The students and instructors tie their knots on the right and sifu ties his knot on the left. Some schools have belt systems, however this is American-style. In our school we use different color schemes on the logo of our shirts to show various levels.

Peace.

Kymus
08-23-2000, 08:59 PM
Very interesting. (well, for me anyways /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ). Could you explain more about the schemes on your shirts? And also, if you would, the requirements. I am very interested in CLF, but there is no school nearby /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif. So I am tryin got collect as much information as I can about it THrough discussion, books, and videos.

-Kymus-

------------------
~Sifu Rick Tucci~

nospam
08-23-2000, 10:03 PM
I would imagine that you will find a variety of distinctions from kwoon-to-kwoon. Some might use the coloured belt sash system and others no apparent ranking- but we all know where we stand /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

For my lineage, we simply have student/teacher/master. When I was a full-time student, everyone wore the same school uniform that included a mile long black sash.

CLFNole
08-23-2000, 10:23 PM
Like I said before and like Nospam also said it varies from school to school. Level systems makes people feel good by showing them they have made progress, however it does not necessarily mean their kung-fu is great it could mean that they have followed the school for along time and just moved through the system.

Our school uses blue lettering on the shirts for level 1, green for level 2 and other colors as the levels move up. Each level contaions various forms, techniques, self-defense applications, weapons applications and chinese terminology that they are responsible for learning.

I am not really into the level system, however the typical Joe on the street wants to see some type of results so we do what we feel works and still maintains some tradition at the same time.

nospam
08-23-2000, 10:40 PM
Sounds cool CLFNole.

My lineage works #1 on basics first and foremost. Then 2-person drills are introduced showing how one uses the basic concepts. I use the word concept because the basics as taught are not necessarily how they are used. There is a great degree of conditioning and technical 'hardwiring' invloved at the early stages.

Then the student moves along to their first form, which is pretty much standard. It is a short form and uses the basic movement and introduces basic fight concepts. These movements are then incorporated into the 2-person drills and various exercises. This stage takes a good year before moving on. Why? Because we are all only as good as our basic understandings. Simple really. When push comes to shove, I want my students to react on hardwired movement. This instills confidence in Self and Style. It gets too easy to become stuck on flashier moves and the odd horseshoe stuck up one's butt using it!

Interesting thing here...is that with this basic first form and related 2-person exercises, is all a student needs to learn our style.

As an instructor, you decide whether you lessen for the masses or provide more for the few /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

CLFNole
08-23-2000, 10:52 PM
Well said Nospam.

In our school we begin teaching students the basic Choy Lay Fut stances within a small form. Once they can do all of the stances, know their names in Chinese and can hold them for a period of time will they begin the 1st basic hand form.

I feel that without good basics your kung fu can only get so good. It's like building a house, if the 1st floor is made with toothpicks and the 2nd and 3rd floors are made with concrete the whole building will eventually come down.

We too like to show techniques first before they learn them in the various forms. For one it makes it easier for them to understand later and two they must learn that applying a technique in a real life situation is usually different from how it might be done in the demonstration of a form. Forms should like beautiful when performed, however when fighting it's not a beauty contest all that matters is whether or not your techique works.

Peace.

alecM
08-24-2000, 12:50 AM
CLFNOLE & nospam very well said.

Kymus
08-24-2000, 05:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CLFNole:
Level systems makes people feel good by showing them they have made progress, however it does not necessarily mean their kung-fu is great it could mean that they have followed the school for along time and just moved through the system.[/quote]

I couldn't agree more.

------------------
~Sifu Rick Tucci~

Jimbo
08-25-2000, 02:02 AM
Our school of CLF has a ranking system of colored sashes, and testing. My sifu says he himself implemented this ranking system, mainly in order to keep track of students' progress, because in our school there is so much material to learn and practice, it's not even funny. He took all the material (not just forms) and organized it into a leveled system.

Personally, I prefer a no-belt system, as far as ranking goes. When I trained northern Mantis in Taiwan, there were no rankings, only the sifu, senior and junior students. But I can also see the reason our CLF sifu created the ranking system, and since I study under him, I must follow it. Sometimes you must do things you don't always 100 percent like or agree with in order to learn any art, science, or skill.

The way I see it, though, you can tell someone's level (more or less) by working with them, or observing. Not all black sashes are at the same level. There are green sashes, and then there are "green sashes," if you know what I mean.

Also, any type of ranking, or even practice/learning of the material, will vary school to school, and some will vary considerably. Therefore, it's impossible to list a ranking order for a Chinese art within even the same system.

I tend not to judge someone's kung fu by the color of belt sash, or whether or not they were a fancy, expensive silk uniform instead of a "lowly" plain cotton uniform (which a surprising number of kung fu students do these days, esp. at tournaments). You will know by a combination of their skill and demeanor, how they issue power, rooting/mobility, understanding of skill application (very observable even when one does forms), etc.
Jim