PDA

View Full Version : Going to start bjj..

lowsweep
01-03-2003, 06:07 PM
It looks as though I'm going to have the chance to begin training in BJJ in addition to boxing (western). I am recovering from stress fractures in both legs and I am wondering if this will be a problem. Also, is there anything I should know before i start?

thanks
adam

TaoBoy
01-08-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by lowsweep
It looks as though I'm going to have the chance to begin training in BJJ in addition to boxing (western). I am recovering from stress fractures in both legs and I am wondering if this will be a problem. Also, is there anything I should know before i start?

thanks
adam

It's bloody hard work.
You will get thrashed by everyone for a while.
It's all worth it.
You'll love it.

Repulsive Monkey
01-09-2003, 10:22 AM
Can you please tell me as you seem to be affiliated to the Melbourne academy of Kung-fu & Tai Chi where the lineage for the Yang Family Tai Chi comes from? It doesn't mention it on the profile and merely says that it is taught. Looking at the syllabus for the Tai Chi forms it most certainly doesn't look like at all that it comes from the Yang family. This is why I'm questioning it as it seems like a more than obvious anomaly. Where did they priciple instructors get their Yang Family Tai Chi from may I ask???

SevenStar
01-17-2003, 07:06 PM
The stress fractures can be a problem - bjj uses leg locks and you don't want to do anything to slow the healing of your legs. Just make sure you let them know, that way they don't do any leg locks or knee bars on you.

it will be an exhausting workout - extremely exhausting. But, if you like hard training, then you'll love every minute of it.

If you have trained before and were good at what you were doing, check your ego at the door if you have one, because you will get repetitively mauled your first several months in bjj and if you have ego problems, that may lead you to leave the school.

ricksitterly
01-19-2003, 02:55 PM
You can expect to get very big and gain a lot of muscle. Jiu jitsu will make you huge!! You probably won't feel the need to lift weights anymore

TaoBoy
01-23-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Repulsive Monkey
Can you please tell me as you seem to be affiliated to the Melbourne academy of Kung-fu & Tai Chi where the lineage for the Yang Family Tai Chi comes from? It doesn't mention it on the profile and merely says that it is taught. Looking at the syllabus for the Tai Chi forms it most certainly doesn't look like at all that it comes from the Yang family. This is why I'm questioning it as it seems like a more than obvious anomaly. Where did they priciple instructors get their Yang Family Tai Chi from may I ask???

Hey RM,

The tai chi area of the website needs some attention and some of the data may be incorrect. My apologies for that.

My instructor is under the continued tuition of Master Tang Lai Wei who is one of Master Wu Bin's top students. The Yang forms taught at my school are those taught at the Beijing Wushu Institute.

I hope that answers your question.

[Sorry the reply took so long.]

Cheers.

SevenStar
04-05-2003, 11:13 PM
How's the BJJ coming along?

Budokan
04-11-2003, 11:28 AM
F*ck yes it's gonna be a problem. Good luck anyway.

scannerb2
05-06-2003, 08:35 AM
What's BJJ? Is that Jiu-Jitsu?:confused:

Robinf
05-06-2003, 10:52 AM
Brazillian Jui Jitsu, popularized in part by the Gracie family.

scannerb2
05-06-2003, 11:04 AM
Now I remember. Thanks, my man.

chen zhen
05-31-2003, 10:46 AM
How could you forget that?!

:D