PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Xebsball and GDA

IronFist
01-04-2003, 12:08 AM
Why do we have such awesome taste in music?

:D

IronFist

Sharky
01-04-2003, 12:11 AM
I find myself asking myself the same question all the time.

I've just come to accept it.

IronFist
01-04-2003, 12:18 AM
You also wonder why Xebsball, GDA, and I all have such awesome music taste? :p :D

IronFist

Sharky
01-04-2003, 12:34 AM
Smartass.

I have been awake for 28 hours though, cut me some slack.

IronFist
01-04-2003, 01:37 AM
Slack granted.

IronFist

Chang Style Novice
01-04-2003, 01:40 AM
My guess: fetal alcohol syndrome.

(ducks)

I kid! I say it with love!

rubthebuddha
01-04-2003, 01:44 AM
changstyle, you are a funny, funny man. that was beautiful. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Xebsball
01-04-2003, 07:24 AM
What god didnt give me (wimmins) he had to compensate with superior auditive taste, thats all! :cool:

scotty1
01-04-2003, 09:25 AM
Any of you North / South Americans heard of Pitchshifter?

You dig?

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-04-2003, 12:44 PM
i have to thank one of my best friends jeff watson for my great taste in music. i started watching headbangers ball when i was about 6 years old and shortly afterward my entire room was plastered with those pin ups you would get in magazines like metal edge. an entire room haunted by hair bands.

when i was 7 my buddy jeff (he was 5 years older than me) decided to take a young and confused little boy under his wing and show him the way. he introduced me to anthrax and suicidal tendencies and i immediately realized how bad the winger and poison sucked. i bought my first death metal tape (obituary cause of death) at the ripe age of 9 and quickly began building my collection. i am forever greatful to my friend jeff for showing me what a pu ssy i could have turned out to be.

Chang Style Novice
01-04-2003, 01:24 PM
Bill Hicks (paraphrased): The parents of a couple ******* headbangers sued Judas Priest when their kids killed themselves. They said the evil heavy metal music drove their kids to suicide. I kinda wish they'd won. Then I could sue James Taylor for turning me into a ***** in the 70's.

IronFist
01-04-2003, 01:29 PM
For Christmas when I was in 4th grade I got an electric guitar and Steve Vai's "Passion and Warfare" on cassette tape. I had never heard of Vai, but my mom goes "the person in the music store said this is good metal guitar music." So, I guess I have whoever was working in the music store that day to thank, and my mom for being awesome and buying it.

I wonder what the odds are... most people don't even know who Steve Vai is, so it's pretty awesome that someone working in a mainstream music store would have known and recommended it.

IronFist

Chang Style Novice
01-04-2003, 01:36 PM
What Metal Album Are You? (http://quizilla.com/users/ironcity/quizzes/What%20Metal%20Album%20are%20You%3F/)

Turns out I'm Mudvayne. I've never heard Mudvayne. Guess I better get to downloading.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-04-2003, 01:37 PM
im not particularly fond of vias music, but i respect his for being an awesome fu cking guitarist.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-04-2003, 02:17 PM
sharky .... you should post more of your music if you can. i'm not a huge fan of hiphop but there are some things i like if they are catchy or particularly offencive. i still have that one song you posted a long time ago .... i know you said you did it when you were young but i was impressed none the less.

Former castleva
01-04-2003, 02:21 PM
I send cool music to Xebs...

IronFist
01-04-2003, 11:28 PM
Turns out I'm Mudvayne. I've never heard Mudvayne. Guess I better get to downloading.

CSN, I wouldn't consider Mudvayne representative of real "metal." I think they're more like "nu-metal" or whatever the hell they call it. It's like metal-influenced style that is common on rock and alternative stations. Other bands that fit this category are like... Linkin Park, Staind, Korn, Limp Bizkit, etc. Middle schoolers and High schoolers think it's metal, though :)

GDA, do you agree?

Speaking of GDA, he said:
im not particularly fond of vias music, but i respect his for being an awesome fu cking guitarist.

Right, that's cool. What have you heard? Some of his stuff I think is awesome, like, ****ing amazing awesome, and other stuff I'm just like "eh, that's cool."

GDA, have you ever heard Soilwork or Skyfire? I'm just getting into these bands now. Try these songs:

Soilwork - "Natural Born Chaos" and "The Flameout"
Skyfire - "Dimensions Unseen"

IronFist

Sharky
01-04-2003, 11:54 PM
As of the 22nd i shall have time to devote to recording some shiat. My bloody degree is getting in the way of my carreer :(

Thanks GDA

Chang Style Novice
01-05-2003, 07:20 AM
Iron Fist -

Actually, Mudvayne was also recommended to me by a thirty-year old music writer friend. He's not exclusively into metal, but his favorites are old skool stuff like Motorhead, Priest, Nuge, Slayer etc., so I give him some credibility. He's also recommended Electric Wizard, Candiria, System of a Down and Slipknot to me.

I listened to a little Mudvayne, and thought it was alright, although it didn't really push my buttons. Another band he recommended, the Liars, has turned into a big favorite, though. They're considerable closer to the early 80s punk I like a lot (Minutemen, Gang of Four, Husker Du) than they are metal, though.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-05-2003, 10:40 AM
np sharkey. i look forward to hearing more of your ****. i have an ftp through work without bandwidth limitations so just let me know if you need a place to put em up.

iron fist ... i agree with you if you were trying to be really really nice about it. i almost feel dirty for having ever liked korn at this point. i can only think of 2 of the newer metal bands that i have any respect for at all: slipknot and fear factory. simply because both of them released albums harder than the last when they had every opportunity to go the same rout as the rest of those pu ssies. in highschool i never understood why all the punks were so anal about their sh it remaining underground until i watched what happened to metal. though it was almost comical to watch the shallowers listening to the music they made fun of a week earlier cause they were told it's cool now.

i wouldnt even know the names to the songs from via i have heard. just stuff that was in friend's tape decks back in the day. i have a long boring suday ahead of me here at work so ill check out skyfire and soilwork today.

scotty1
01-05-2003, 12:02 PM
First off, nu-metal is NOT metal. but bands like Korn (1st album) and Limp Bizkit (1st album) and Deftones (all albums) were making good hard heavy as sh!t music before "the new wave" of Linkin parks were a stain in their dads pants.

Fashion, and crap bands, have conspired to ruin what was an excellent form of music. Korn rocked my world about 5 years ago (whenever Blind came out) and I'm sure they rocked yours too GDA. Just because the scene they helped create has gone down the sh!tter doesn't mean I don't respect them for what they did originally.

Have you heard even Limp's 1st album, "3 dollar bill y'all"? Raw, and nothing like their follow ups, which were sh!t.

And Fear Factory were producing industrial tinged Death metal in the early 90s. They have lost it now, unfortunately.

Bands like Coal Chamber and Linkin Park jumped on the coat tails of bands like Korn and LBizkit, who unfortunately then saw fit to water themselves down in order to make some money from "the kids" too. Shame, but I stand by the original music that was there before any baggy-trousered 13yr old.

yes, "nu-metal" is sh!te. But a couple of bands that have been mentioned have produced music in the past that would scare the bollocks off of a "nu-metal" fan.

And FYI I also like Pantera, Slayer, Sick Of It All, Biohazard (yeah, yeah) etc. And i'm not in school. :) ;)

Rant over.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-05-2003, 12:33 PM
i hear ya scotty. that's what makes me so mad about korn more than anyone. i also thought fearfactory returned to the death metal sound. someone at work gave me a bunch of mp3s saying they hated their new album but figured it would be right up my alley. i guess this was nearly a year ago, but i didnt figure they'd go back to being pusses. two of the songs are concrete and crisis. is this from an old album or something? these songs put me in mind of napalm but i guess i really have no idea when they were released.

IronFist
01-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Actually, I really like Korn's new song "Thoughtless." And Disturbed's song "Prayer" is pretty cool, too.

in highschool i never understood why all the punks were so anal about their sh it remaining underground until i watched what happened to metal.

Yeah. When cool things become mainstream they start to suck. I remember back before everyone in the world knew what anime was, too.

IronFist

scotty1
01-05-2003, 03:16 PM
GDA, I don't recognise either of those two song titles, but have you heard the album 'Demanufacture'? Its brutal, but not very organic sounding. Early FF songs like 'Self Immolation' and 'Martyr' are worth a few listens too.

If you guys like big riffs, big drums and a vocalist that can actually sing, you might like Vacant Stare, a new British band.

I though they'd be crap but they're actually really good at metal which is quite hard but also puts you in mind of good ol' fashioned rock in the way that the songs are.

Some songs are better than others though - try 'obscured' , 'intertia' and 'a head start' for a taster.

scotty1
01-05-2003, 03:19 PM
"puts you in mind of good ol' fashioned rock in the way that the songs are."

What I mean is, they don't just grind, but they actually rock, and you can sing along to their songs.

I don't mean they remind me of Bon Jovi or anything.

Not that there's anything with with a bit of Bon Jovi, in the right time and place.:D

Serpent
01-05-2003, 08:34 PM
Now you dudes are talking music!

Mudvayne have an awesome remix on the Resident Evil movie soundtrack album. In fact, that whole soundtrack is heavier than yo momma's tits.

Fear Factory know they've lost it. They split up last year. Very sad really, but they left us some incredible work.

What do you guys think of Audioslave?

Xebsball
01-27-2003, 06:52 PM
The Gods Made Heavy Metal
And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell
We Promised That We Would
When Losers Say Its Over With
You Know That It’s A Lie
The Gods Made Heavy Metal And It’s Never Gonna Die!

IronFist
01-27-2003, 07:00 PM
:D

IronFist

Machine_Phantom
01-09-2004, 08:39 PM
the grass was greener
the light was brigther
with friends surrounding