PDA

View Full Version : Yulaw

Lews
01-05-2003, 09:34 AM
I know that some of you have seen the movie called "The One" with Jet Li......and for those of you versed in Hsing-i I have a couple of questions.

1.)In the prison scene where he was hand cuffed what fist and stepping technique was he using

2.)Towards the end of the movie he was fighting (Gabe):
His back was arched and he was using alot of phoenix eye fist at the end there was a double fist....What technique was this?

3.)Does anyone know of a good Hsing-i site with mpegs, movies, etc. (Besides hsing-i.com) I am especially interested in the drilling fist being shown and the crushing fist being shown.

Thanks in advance......

Currently I am taking wing chun and wanted to mix this with Hsing-i, I would really like some opinions, thanks again.

count
01-05-2003, 11:07 AM
"I'm nobody's *****..."

Check out Empty Flower (http://www.emptyflower.com/) for good info about Xinyi. Good forum too.;)

devere
01-06-2003, 12:14 PM
He was doing (I believe) Beng Quan or "Crushing Fist" in his cell. The scene was a nod to the legenary Guo Yunshen who was jailed for killing a man. He practiced his Beng Quan in his cell for 3 years while in manacles and came out better than when he went in.

The phoenix eye fist stuff he's doing looks like Bak Mei or White Eyebrow - which is a very cool style. The shoulders are rounded and the back is hollowed after throwing the punch, extending the forward fist in a almost whipping motion which is very similar to Xingyiquan.

I have xingyi clips, as Count pointed out, on my site here: http://www.emptyflower.com/video.html

count
01-06-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by devere

The phoenix eye fist stuff he's doing looks like Bak Mei or White Eyebrow - which is a very cool style. The shoulders are rounded and the back is hollowed after throwing the punch, which is very similar to Xingyiquan.
Say Dave,
If you're checking in. Are you saying that you Xinyi guys don't use the phoenix eye punch heavily in your style too? I always imagined that fist useful for Xinyi. Care to join us for a Xinyi workshop Jason Tsou is having at CSLA on the 18th? It's near where you guys practice. It's my first taste of Xinyi. We are supposed to cover 5 Elements form and 5 Elements Chikung along with Tui Na and other injury treatments.

devere
01-06-2003, 02:59 PM
Well first off, I'm assuming you mean "Xingyi" (Form-Mind) not 10-animal "Xinyi" (Heart-Mind). And no, the Hebei I learned did not use the Phoenix-Eye fist - the fist is held very tightly with all fingers in. As with any technique though, that's not to say you couldn't use the Phoenix-Eye, palm, hook or whatever depending on how you're applying it.

I haven't been down to the park in a while, but that'd be cool to check the workshop out. If you can, send me the details. david@emptyFlower.com

GLW
01-06-2003, 03:35 PM
From a Jet Li interview...

Jet has said that in that movie his goal was to pit a linear style against a circular one to show a majro contrast.

He stated that he used Xingyi quan for one character and then Bagua Zhang for the other. Then in the final fight, it was circles vs. lines....

The bad law was the Xingyiquan and the good law was the Bagua zhang....

As to which set he was doing ...don't do Xingyi myself...

But then again, Jet Li was not known for Xingyi or Bagua either so did he just pick up some for the movie or did he go out and study them for a while...don't know...

Now if it had be Fanziquan...different story

Felipe Bido
01-06-2003, 04:00 PM
Phoenix Eye fist is used in the advanced stages of Xingyi (Hebei). The power is focused in a smaller point (the knuckle) to attack vital areas.

Some masters of old times used to wear a ring in their index finger, wider than the circumference of the fist, to protect their knuckle and improve the striking while fighting using the phoenix eye fist.

count
01-06-2003, 05:13 PM
Dave,
I thought I could use the character "Xin" with the ringing intonation as in "Xing". But I guess my experience with Chinese is about on a par with my Hsing-I.:D Like I say, sometimes Sifu will show something from Hsing-I to demonstrate the difference with bagua or baji. This will be my first actual taste of it. I'll send you out more details as soon as I get them.

When I have seen any of it I have seen them using the eye of the phoenix fist often. Not necessarily to hit with the extended knuckle though but I guess that's useful. Intresting topic though. I have also seen modern wushu versions of bagua and hsing-i much like Jet Li used in the movie. A lot of it seems pretty unrealistic though. Still entertaining as hell.:p

devere
01-07-2003, 01:25 AM
I'd listen to Felipe - he knows his stuff! :cool:

Count - yes, change the spelling (and least in the English Romanization) by one letter and you're talking two different arts. Xinyi being the original art that Xingyi later sprang from.

I'd like to see some Baji from your teacher...

omarthefish
01-07-2003, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by GLW
From a Jet Li interview...

But then again, Jet Li was not known for Xingyi or Bagua either so did he just pick up some for the movie or did he go out and study them for a while...don't know...

He just picked it up for the movie. Somebody out here told me once who taught him but I imediately forgot. A lot of Chinese names to me still sound like jsut a bunch of garbled sounds.

count
01-08-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Felipe Bido
Phoenix Eye fist is used in the advanced stages of Xingyi (Hebei). The power is focused in a smaller point (the knuckle) to attack vital areas.

Some masters of old times used to wear a ring in their index finger, wider than the circumference of the fist, to protect their knuckle and improve the striking while fighting using the phoenix eye fist.
Fascinating. :cool: A pre-curser to iron or brass knuckles or an off shoot of them? Seen any photo's on line of these or do you know where you can find authentic ones?

GeneChing
01-08-2003, 10:29 AM
You should really check out our Nov Dec 2001 (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=142) issue - we had an exclusive cover story on The One and used it to highlight the styles of Xingyi and Bagua. The Xingyi/Bagua angle of The One was very subtle - too subtle for most of viewers to percieve, but for those of us who know these styles, it was some great symbolism.

Felipe Bido
01-08-2003, 11:42 AM
Count, my teacher told me about it and I think he has one at home. I'll be sure to ask him again :)