PDA

View Full Version : Who Did Alan Lamb Study Under?

Seventh Sun
01-06-2003, 12:12 PM
Is he considered a master of the art of Wing Chun? I Was just woundering. No hidden agenda. Man this tip toe thing get hard on the toes.. lol I will be glad when there is no more politics in kung fu. I have not even started and I am watching what I say closely ...lol

thanks
Sage

yuanfen
01-06-2003, 12:38 PM
Seventh Sun- thats a strange way to get started by beginning to refer to "politics" in your opener. Politics is part of life- try thinking of a major area of human activity where it is absent.

Alan Lamb was to the best of my knowledge the first Brit- or close to it in teaching wing chun in the UK before he moved to the uS. He wasa a wado ryu stylist before his wing chun. He had four teachers in wing chun- 3 in the UK and one in Hong Kong. Paul Lam, Lee Sing
in the UK and Koo San in Hong Kong. He also trained with Joseph Cheng. He stays clear of forum chit chats and gossip and lineage arguments.
Paul Lam no longer teaches and neither does Koo Sang to the best of my knowledge and the other two have passed away. He had some health problems some years ago but he turned that corner and teaches privately in Los Angeles.
He is a genuine wing chun teacher.

Joy Chaudhuri

Seventh Sun
01-06-2003, 12:49 PM
Again not being well versed in the Kung Fu do's and don'ts I am sorry for bringing up politics. I just wanted to ask a question without it starting a war. Which I understand Wing Chun, Wing Tsun, Ving Tsun etc.. has some. Again let me say that I am sorry. Now back to the question after i pull my foot out of my mouth again. Is he well respected in the Wing Chun community?

Thanks
Sage

yuanfen
01-06-2003, 01:15 PM
Sage asks:Is he well respected in the Wing Chun community?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a wing chun community?

In wing chun opinions are everywhere on these issues and
you can find positive/negative opinions on practically anyone.

If you are searching for a teacher meet with everyone you can find
read everything that you can find, visit and make your own tentative opinion. If you are not searching for a teacher and you are not yet in wing chun- it wont matter.

A Gallup poll doesnt tell you much about wing chun.
jc

Seventh Sun
01-06-2003, 01:49 PM
I asked the question to get all types of answers. Going by your logic why ask any question as all if you dont want many different answers. I could have asked what is 1+1 now how many answers could i get from this questions and I am sure i could get a few people to argue about it. (1+1 that is) I thought this fourm was for questions and answers. Not questions and questioning my quesion. My logic behind asking my question is trying to find for myself a good kung fu school. My question was intended to get reactions. Who Did Alan Lamb Study Under?Which you gave me fully answered. Then I ask was he well respected in the WC community? You gave me an answer that

(Quote) If you are searching for a teacher meet with everyone you can find read everything that you can find)

Am I not doing that?

You Tell me if there is a Wing Chun comminity?

With recpect if your trying to show me your Wing Chun intellect please show me with answers not by trying to make someone who knows almost nothing about Kung Fu look stupid which i feel you are trying to do. I like i said in my second post I do not know all the Do's and Dont's and i can admit that. The question is do you? No need to disrecpect i am just looking for answers not trying to discredit anyone test anyones knowledge just looking for answers. So if you dont have them then its no need for you to answer.

Respect Sage

Shadowboxer
01-06-2003, 02:06 PM
Sage,

I see you are in Dallas. I trian in Ft. Worth at http://www.AuthenticKungfu.com
My Sifu has developed a relationship with Sifu Lamb. Perhaps you could give him a call or stop by the school?

Shen Zhou
01-06-2003, 02:17 PM
Good post Shadowboxer!

byond1
01-06-2003, 02:18 PM
hi sage!....yuanfen (beleive it or not) is a wealth of wc knowledge (imo)and can always improve or add to any conversation..he is some what tired(imo) of all the malarky on the net. he has been in the wc system for longer than many of us are alive...he has a unique personality(like most of us..lol) and is well worth getting to know.....i agree with his idea of crossreferance your knowledge....1)read 2) meet people (work out) 3)talk to other people .......and compare what you have read, to what you experianced ,to what others experianced and you should beable to make a logical descision.

yuanfen---to my knowledge si gung koo sang passed away several years ago ....i believe my si sook dr.crecione and and sifu meng visited koo sang in the mid 90's and he wasnt doing good...he had already retired from making jongs

ive heard very good things about alan lamb......of cource what he does, has a yip man flavor but it also has a mainland feel to it...if anyone had the chance to meet sifu lamb , i would suggest jumping at it......

yuanfen
01-06-2003, 05:59 PM
Seventh Sun-Sage-
The medium does not show intent very well. You misunderstood mine- which is ok. In the first post I dont think you mentioned your intent but that is ok.

1.I answered your basic question. Alan Lamb has had four very good teachers and is very familiar with the variations in doing wing chun. And , he is a good teacher.

2. My comment on the gallup poll was not intended to be sarcastic but was written from a "methodological" perspective....
without going into details. Lists and forums are not very good sources for getting some kinds of reliable information. I was suggesting that you visit schools in Dallas and Ft Worth and see for yourself what is taught and how. If you were in LA I would suggest you talk to Sifu Lamb directly. If you were interested in taking a private lesson and wanted to talk to him first, I am sure he would be open.He is basicallya private teacher. I can find and give you his number if you need it. The Ft Worth folks have met Sifu Lamb on several occasions. They are good folks and you might check them out.
The wing chun lineages vary very much in size- hence opinions can be skewed. That was really my answer to your second question though it might not have been evident.

I dont intentionally put people down initially unless the discussion beomes personal from the other side. But admittedly- being human-like anyone else- I have my individual characteristics.

3. Forum discussions are not the same as meeting people.
Forums often have folks with anonymous names and therefore the weights that should be given to posts can vary widely.

4.Many traditional chinese martial arts were/are family arts and some of that carries over today. Hence, many folks primarily beat their own lineage drums. Hence my tentative skepticism about there beinga comminity-in the context of your question.. In varying degrees you will find that to be the case in wing chun, southern mantis, choy li fut and even in taichi-there are some (strange) folks who dont even regard Chen style as taichi!

Cheers- I am no sage- just yuanfen!