PDA

View Full Version : What does Hung Gar training include??

alexb
08-27-2000, 08:53 PM
What does traditional hung gar training include? Besides the forms what is emphasized? What kinds of chi-kung and internal force training are in it? Lots of stance training?

WingLamStudent
08-28-2000, 01:53 AM
Weapons, very low training stances, tiger claw and crane techniques, low kicking, elbow techniques,2 man sparing sets,……….

Internal training sets are Five Animals and Five Elements and Iron Thread.

Altogether a very complete and powerful external system.

Je Lei Sifu
08-28-2000, 09:50 AM
To add to the above, Hung Ga training also incorporates the development of;

Gung Ging (hard Power)

Yao Ging (Soft power)

Bing Ging (whip power)

As well as the training of:

1) sun (spirit)
2) gwat (bone)
3) hay (breath or chi)
4) lik (strenght)
5) jing (essences)

Peace

Je Lei Sifu http://216.219.234.88/forum/roundtable/cool.gif

alexb
08-28-2000, 05:48 PM
What I really wanted to know, was what are the specific exercise you use to train those things? Like what specific techniques do you use to train spirit, bone, chi, strength, and jing. And how do you train the tiger claw and crane's beak?? Doesn't even Taming a Tiger and Tiger/Crane have a little internal force traiing at the begining?
Thanks for the help.
-Alex

Paul Skrypichayko
08-28-2000, 06:23 PM
Once you know something about internal training, you can make almost every move internal training.

I've been with my sifu for about 4 years now. In the last 2 or 3 years, we have spent lots of time on training the waist area, and qigong, with many different types of exercises.

For staff training, for example, I only train 2 moves, tan, and dim. Just practice those 5-20 min a day, plus combine it with some internal training and concentration.

alexb
08-28-2000, 06:25 PM
Also, what are the principles of Hung gar?

qy
08-29-2000, 01:48 AM
Paul,

What does this mean?

"Once you know something about internal training, you can make almost every move internal training."

I am interested in how you change a say punch from external to internal. What do you add? In your Tai Chi training do you also start out external and move internal, or is there more to it? Paul do you have specific Hung Ga chi gungs or special Hung ga chi development exercizes?

Subitai
08-29-2000, 03:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by alexb:
Also, what are the principles of Hung gar?[/quote]

Hi,

Do you mean what might be more than just the usual to good all around Gung Fu precepts?

HG has all the standard expected of any good style or taught by a good Sifu.

A few of the basics to all styles that most would agree on is:
1. Rooting or foundation
2. Openings: finding his and hiding yours
3. Closing the gap
4. Setting a bridge= typical southern move
5. ect.
6. ect.
7. ect.

I think the differences may lie into what each Sifu may stress or to an extent what "Gong" each individual student my personally work on. For example, Iron Forearm, any of the Animal Hands, powerfull kicking or sweeping footwork.
Any special ability specifically worked on may change the out come of a fight or a persons repetoire. For ex. If i'm a 30 yr practicitioner and you only trained 1 yr in Iron Finger. If i don't know that you know this and i make the mistake of just kicking at you, all you have to do it poke/stab my leg. I'd be in alot of pain if not trouble.

That is to say, if you developed your Iron Finger like some of the monks i've seen when i was at Shaolin. To the point where you could poke/stab into wood and break rocks. Ya, I'd say that i would have a healthy respect for not wanting to be Jabbed in the leg or anyplace else for that matter.

That is what is so scary to think of. If we all had Fingers that strong, it would be as if we all had knives or kubotans at the ready. With that kind of technique, i'd take a hit so long as i can land my stab.

Philippino fighting often says "Take a cut give a cut, so long as mine cut is deeper"

Sorry to divert like that. If you were asking what specific drill we use to train each principle? I'm afraid it would take too long to go into detail about the do's and don'ts of training each skill. Most of us have Sifus or a skilled brother of some sort we can refer to for that.

"O"

alexb
08-29-2000, 03:45 AM
What I meant by principles is the 'words' that are special to a system. Like float, stick, follow, etc...

Paul Skrypichayko
08-29-2000, 11:28 AM
Chum (to sink). Very important.

Fun (to split). Also very important.

Lots more, but those were the first two that came to mind.

>>
What does this mean? "Once you know something about internal training, you can make almost every move internal training."
<<

Just something to think about. =)

>>In your Tai Chi training do you also start out external and move internal, or is there more to it?<<

Yes

>>Paul do you have specific Hung Ga chi gungs or special Hung ga chi development exercizes?<<

No, I think they are pretty universal in Chinese martial arts, so long as you're a good student, and you have a good sifu. Certain sifus, certain styles, and certain students will all favour certain training methods. So learn what you can and what is best for you.

qy
08-29-2000, 02:02 PM
Paul are you certain? hehe

I feel some of your responses are vague.

So "yes" to which on the Tai Chi question?

Also, to clarify Hung Gar does the same chi development as most other Southern styles? Nothing unique to your lineage that would be interesting?

[This message has been edited by qy (edited 08-30-2000).]

illusionfist
08-29-2000, 06:43 PM
I can hear MoQ's sinister laugh right now....

Peace /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Paul Skrypichayko
08-30-2000, 03:33 AM
QY, my answer was YES, there is something more to it.

>Also, to clarify Hung Gar does the same chi development as most other Southern styles? Nothing unique to your lineage that would be interesting?<

It depends on what you find interesting. It also depends on what all the other southern styles are training. Maybe what you've seen and what I've seen are totally different things.

illusionfist
08-30-2000, 04:40 AM
I would say that hung gar does have it's own unique method.....IRON WIRE!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

qy
08-30-2000, 08:47 AM
Thanks Paul for clearing all that up!!

[This message has been edited by qy (edited 08-31-2000).]

little-elephant
09-02-2000, 04:58 PM
hung gar is cool dude
sw ohio hung gar std

Paul Skrypichayko
09-03-2000, 07:07 AM
Oops! I totally didn't think of Tit Sin Kuen. There are other styles that use similar training methods though. Samjin (sanchin) is almost a simplified type of "tit sin".

ChanMan
09-03-2000, 07:46 AM
Whoa! Hung Gar has an "iron finger?" Is this all lineages or just a specific lineage? How is it developed? Thanks

Self-Thinking Follower
09-03-2000, 05:22 PM
Paul, perhaps the first levels of Sam Chien are simple looking, but rest assured that many traditional systems, like Hung Ga, used several versions of a form. A standard and simple one for beginners and the public and later, more complex or "developed" versions for disciples and relatives.

yoru
09-05-2000, 04:47 AM
What does Hung Gar training include??

That's a big question, best answered by talking to a Sifu in person I would think.

With respect-

yoru

twktcc
09-05-2000, 09:27 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Paul Skrypichayko:
[B]Chum (to sink). Very important.

These are two of the "bridge hands" are they not ?
I was given a homework assignment by my si hing to find out, if i can, the english translation of them,. you have just helped me with two ! If i may persuade you to divulge the other ten ... that would be great !!!

------------------
Remember to be self- centered but not selfish

denali
09-06-2000, 07:37 AM
Check out this site : http://www.hungga.net

It has some info on the 12 bridge hands.

hope this helps..

twktcc
09-06-2000, 05:35 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by denali:
[B]Check out this site : http://www.hungga.net

It has some info on the 12 bridge hands.

hope this helps..

Thankyou !!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

------------------
Remember to be self- centered but not selfish