PDA

View Full Version : somewhat o/t: your avatar

phantom
01-07-2003, 12:03 PM
I am just curious, for those of you that have avatars, why did you chose your particular one? For those of you that have unusual avatars, what do they mean? Thanks in advance.

ewallace
01-07-2003, 12:10 PM
For some reason, the movie "Blood In, Blood Out" popped into my head yesterday. Hence the reason for "Vatos Locos Forever".

red5angel
01-07-2003, 12:15 PM
this is why....

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail.html

Felipe Bido
01-07-2003, 12:16 PM
Mine is Darth Vader, a dark guy who has a cool red lightsaber and powers, and likes to choke people out (Like Royce)

I am a fan of dark Characters like Dracula, Vader, Nosferatu, and Batman (From the comics). I wanted to find a cool Nosferatu pic, but I didn't find a satisfactory one, so I chose Vader

And I can answer for Xeb's avatar too: Domokun is god

dezhen2001
01-07-2003, 12:19 PM
my strange avatar is 1/2 of a face of some strange guy who likes to stand upside down on his head... i thought it might be pretty cool to put his pic up - especially as he has some hair in that one too :cool:

dawood

Oso
01-07-2003, 12:26 PM
I like bears (oso)

I like pie. More than bears.

red5angel
yeah but dezhen, where's the toga? ;)

Suntzu
what else should I use besides a chinese guy kickin another chinese guy in the throat… this is a CMA forum…

MightyB
01-07-2003, 12:27 PM
Mine's the Sarnia Sting-- part of the Ontario Hockey League. I thought their emblem went well with my log in name.

dezhen2001
01-07-2003, 12:33 PM
where's the toga?

whats your fascination with togas?:confused: FYI its just out of the shot :cool:

dawood

KC Elbows
01-07-2003, 12:33 PM
Dezhen,
Apparently, I have selective blindness. You do have hair. By default, so does Ap.

I guess my mental picture of members is least accurate where I've actually seen their pics.

dezhen2001
01-07-2003, 12:39 PM
KC: dont kid yourself, i dont have hair :D maybe your eyes are telling u wrongly when u look at my avatar?

dawood

Former castleva
01-07-2003, 12:46 PM
Because hamsters are totally sweet...
Have been handling them for years and found them extremely fascinating...
there is some strange wisdom and spirituality in them,yet they are very empty.
It looks like they could store the world in their eyes,yet they are small cosmoses.

txwingchun
01-07-2003, 12:47 PM
That's what I look like.

apoweyn
Originally posted by KC Elbows
Dezhen,
Apparently, I have selective blindness. You do have hair. By default, so does Ap.

hell yeah, i do. i'm covered in it. oook oook!

my avatar is a mascot i drew up for our loosely knit paintball group. the armchair guerrillas. (you can't tell from the avatar, but he's actually a gorilla in fatigues sitting in an armchair.)

stuart b.

red5angel
dezhen no obsession, why? :)

KC, no hair there man, that dark spot is shadow, see if you were to look at dezhens head froma top down view you would see his head is shaped like an hour glass or a figure 8 and hence the deep shadow halfway back on his skull from the front.
or so I am guessing.....

Sho
01-07-2003, 12:58 PM
My avatar is based on the system I'm studying. Original, eh?

KC Elbows
01-07-2003, 12:59 PM
Well, there you have it. Dezhen has no hair again, and so neither does Ap. The collective is a hairless one.

Sorry for the confusion.

The Willow Sword
01-07-2003, 01:01 PM
i have always been a fan of "Elfquest" "Tolkein" and the "TSR"
fantasy stuff. in my much earlier years when i was doing D&D i was always a "Drow" (a dark elf that was a real pain in the ass for those who decided to cross my path in campaigns)

when i found that avatar it looked exactly like my Drow character looked.

there is a picture that TRULY conveys who i am on the inside but i need to scan it and reduce it. it is a Koshare or a heyoka which are the sacred clown spirits of the hopi and lakota sioux.

Many respects,,,the willow sword

dezhen2001
01-07-2003, 01:06 PM
d@mn theres no way i can fool your guys with any pics :( and hot the heck do u do the words without being **** out?:confused:

dawood

Suntzu
01-07-2003, 01:06 PM
The collective is a hairless one. WHOA!!!! Slow down KC… I got hair… last time I had no hair… I got my azz handed to me… becareful wit your words… cuz if I get cursed and require rogaine… I'm commin to kick yo' azz… of course, I'll be bald and you'll prolly wipe the floor wit me… but still...
:mad: :D

red5angel
01-07-2003, 01:07 PM
Looks like Willow Sword has joined the geek squad! Welcome aboard!

red5angel
01-07-2003, 01:08 PM
dezhen check your pm.....

dezhen2001
01-07-2003, 01:10 PM
i think as the 'collective' he was meaning the dezhen-apoweyn demon of his... if thats not a nightmare i dunno what is!

dawood

Oso
01-07-2003, 01:11 PM
Willow Sword

I've been meaning to ask you if that was Drizz't.

apoweyn
01-07-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by dezhen2001
i think as the 'collective' he was meaning the dezhen-apoweyn demon of his... if thats not a nightmare i dunno what is!

dawood

we are legion. (read: bald)

The Willow Sword
01-07-2003, 01:15 PM
To tell you the truth i have no idea who the actual character is on my avatar. i was looking through a ton of them and stumbled across it. a lucky find for me i guess:cool:

i just looked at the Drizzt sight and there is a resemblance but i am not sure if the avatar IS him.

haha im out ,,,,chalk up one more member of the geek squad:D ;) :p

Suntzu
01-07-2003, 01:17 PM
i think as the 'collective' he was meaning the dezhen-apoweyn demon of his... if thats not a nightmare i dunno what is! Ooooo… I thot he was sayin we were ALL a bunch of hairless Kung Fu nerds…

FatherDog
01-07-2003, 01:17 PM
Mine is part of the cover of the February 1991 issue of "Your Sinclair", a british magazine that reviewed games for the Sinclair ZX Spectrum. It's the dog from "Shadow Dancer", a Shinobi clone that some of you might remember from the arcade version.

I chose it because the cover was done by Jamie Hewlett, one of my favorite artists. And it goes with my screenname, which is the name I use for most of my online presences.

KC Elbows
01-07-2003, 01:18 PM
Ahh, so Sun-Tzu has joined the collective, eh?

"I'll be bald and you'll prolly wipe the floor wit me… but still..."

That sounds like fun!:D

[NOTE TO SELF: smack talking working well, now once KFO members catch up with me, I should learn some really good moves]

[SECOND NOTE TO SELF- send late Christmas card to reconstructive surgeon]

red5angel
01-07-2003, 01:19 PM
dezhen, did you get your ****ing pm?

dezhen2001
01-07-2003, 01:23 PM
hey i replied to it man...
thanks a lot ****** :D

dawood

red5angel
01-07-2003, 01:28 PM
anything to further freedom of speech! ;)

SaMantis
01-07-2003, 01:38 PM
Terrifica ... you gotta hand it to a girl who, instead of spending Saturday night curled up on the couch watching Trek reruns, puts on a pink leotard and runs around annoying drunk singles.

Well, maybe you don't gotta.

And she's been cloned because anyone who runs around singles bars dressed like that will definitely wind up at UFO-land eventually.

Chang Style Novice
01-07-2003, 01:48 PM
I change my userpic fairly frequently, and lately have been doing thematic series.

Presently, I am doing a series of 'hideous freaks of nature' which are naturally accompanied by my tagline "Wanna smooch?"

At left you will observe the anglerfish, a deepsea predator that lures in its quarry with a phlorescent antenna-like appendage. When the unfortunate victim is within chomping range, the anglerfish will use its enormous jaws (comprising something like 1/3 of its body) to gobble up the gullible little morsel. YUM!

Previously, you may remember the star-nosed mole, a diminutive and blind underground dweller whose eponymous snout is the world's most sensitive olfactory organ, featuring 22 individual, twitching pink tendrils.

yenhoi
01-07-2003, 01:51 PM
Mines a spinning shining yin yang thingie - just like me!

:eek:

txwingchun
01-07-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by The Willow Sword
To tell you the truth i have no idea who the actual character is on my avatar. i was looking through a ton of them and stumbled across it. a lucky find for me i guess:cool:

i just looked at the Drizzt sight and there is a resemblance but i am not sure if the avatar IS him.

haha im out ,,,,chalk up one more member of the geek squad:D ;) :p

Doesn't matter all drow look the same after a good fireballing.:D

@PLUGO
01-07-2003, 02:33 PM
Any of you long time KFQ readers should recognise my Avatar as one of the lead charactors from Tiger's Tale.

Kungfu's longest running comic strip...

anyway, I whipped up the animation just for use here...
you like?

Oso
01-07-2003, 02:58 PM
They're just misunderstood.

txwingchun
01-07-2003, 03:10 PM
Yeah they might be but since I'm anti drow the only good drow is a dead drow.

Oso
01-07-2003, 03:51 PM
you must be one of those upstart humans.

oh, I'm sorry, I didn't look at your avatar close enough...
obviously you're a troll :D :) ;)

The Willow Sword
01-07-2003, 03:54 PM
So you dont like us dark folk huh? tell me sweetums,,how well can YOU see in the dark? i can see very well,,,dogooder:p

ever tried to find your little willy in the dark after it has been lopped off while you were takin a wee wee? :eek: :eek:

TaoBoy
01-07-2003, 04:07 PM
Mine's just a snip from a Radiohead album and the tag line is one of their song titles. It's fairly indicative to my state of mind at the moment. :)

ZIM
01-07-2003, 04:57 PM
If you rilly don't know, just go to "my" web page and dl something.

txwingchun
01-07-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Oso
you must be one of those upstart humans.

oh, I'm sorry, I didn't look at your avatar close enough...
obviously you're a troll :D :) ;)

So you dont like us dark folk huh? tell me sweetums,,how well can YOU see in the dark? i can see very well,,,dogooder

ever tried to find your little willy in the dark after it has been lopped off while you were takin a wee wee? ]

Oso-Yes Humans all the way!!!!!!!!!
TWS- The dark doesn't bother me I'm skilled in blind fighting.

And i thought I was the only rpg geek on here

wufupaul
01-07-2003, 05:42 PM
My avatar is a picture of me approximately 15 years ago. I still wear the headband occasionally, if I'm in the mood.

Sharky
01-07-2003, 06:24 PM
i'm a rapper

and lego is like, totally sweet

Oso
01-07-2003, 06:57 PM
Long live Gary Gygax !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Serpent
01-07-2003, 08:19 PM
Dude!? It's Powdered Toast Man! Dude!

(D@mn ******* question!)

;)

Abstract
01-07-2003, 08:33 PM
it's where i'm from.. !!BX REPRESENT!!

Serpent
01-07-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Abstract
it's where i'm from.. !!BX REPRESENT!!

Ironically, not even vaguely Abstract.

Abstract
01-07-2003, 08:46 PM
that's the beauty of my title...i'm a regular cat...but have the potential to live up to my handle if i so choose....

and actually, it's a nickname some of my peoples gave me over the years, cause i have the tendency to be sometimes, AND ALSO cuz Q Tip aka 'the Abstract Poetic' is my favorite emcee, so the name sorta stuck. so it's the first thing that came to my mind when i logged in here at KFO.

unnastan?

Serpent
01-07-2003, 09:01 PM
unnastan?

Yeah. Isn't that between Afghanistan and Khazakstan?

Abstract
01-08-2003, 06:10 AM
exactly! haha:p :p

you're a regular geography wizard!

Qi dup
01-08-2003, 10:07 AM
Mine's the poster from "Rocky."

@PLUGO
01-08-2003, 01:02 PM
What's the general consensus on how Drow is pronounced?

Drow as in Crow?

or

Drow as in Cow?

Oso
01-08-2003, 02:14 PM
Good Question...I've always used it as in Crow but have heard
plenty of other people, mostly the nerdy-type gamers, use it
as in cow.

I've never thought Drow(cow) sounded as dark as Drow(crow).

just mho.

Bolt
01-08-2003, 02:31 PM
what avatar ?

CrippledAvenger
01-08-2003, 03:19 PM
apparently, I'm the sole representative of super deformed 8-bit heros here...

I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad sign.

red5angel
01-08-2003, 03:40 PM
awright you gaming geeks, you want a hard one? how do you pronounce skaven?

by the way I pronounce Drow both ways depending on my mood.

Serpent
01-08-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by red5angel
awright you gaming geeks, you want a hard one? how do you pronounce skaven?

by the way I pronounce Drow both ways depending on my mood.

Skay-ven.

And I reckon it's drow as in crow.

SevenStar
01-08-2003, 07:02 PM
check out the quote by Helicopter in my sig. That's where my avatar comes from. I used to use a ninja - obviously because they are totally sweet. They also flip out and kill people, as do I.

SevenStar
01-08-2003, 07:04 PM
AND ALSO cuz Q Tip aka 'the Abstract Poetic' is my favorite emcee, so the name sorta stuck. so it's the first thing that came to my mind when i logged in here at KFO.

When I first saw your name on kfo, Q Tip was the first thing that popped in my mind.

Oso
01-08-2003, 07:42 PM
skaven as in raven, I guess.

hmmm, drow(crow); skaven(raven)

maybe there's a theme there.

Serpent
01-08-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar

When I first saw your name on kfo, Q Tip was the first thing that popped in my mind.

I think something important popped in your mind years ago, mate. ;)

David Jamieson
01-08-2003, 07:58 PM
a tiger seemed appropriate to a kungfu forum.

I'm working on a dragon that i like.

that, and i like pudding of course.

cheers

Chang Style Novice
01-09-2003, 12:10 AM
And now for something completely different:

#3 - The Proboscis Monkey.

Oso
01-09-2003, 04:13 AM
i thought those were called something else.

da mn that 4th grade teacher!

quiet man
01-09-2003, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Serpent
And I reckon it's drow as in crow.

No, no, it's definitely "drow" as in "how now purple cow" :D
Take it from a major D&D geek... or read A Grand Tour of the Realms (Forgotten Realms box set)

Chang Style Novice
01-09-2003, 07:56 AM
FTR - Oso's new userpic and tagline crack me up.

You ever see that documentary about the guy who wants to live among bears as one of them to observe their behavior firsthand? I forget the title, but it's pretty wild. To survive an encounter with these grizzlies, he spendsx a fortune building a kind of hazard suit that makes him look like a giant anime robot - gundam's the word for that, right? Anyway, there's a lot of footage of him testing the suit that's kind of like what might happen if the cast of Robotech guested on *******. Wierd stuff.

txwingchun
01-09-2003, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by quiet man

No, no, it's definitely "drow" as in "how now purple cow" :D
Take it from a major D&D geek... or read A Grand Tour of the Realms (Forgotten Realms box set)

Yes you are correct it is pronounced that way. As another major D&D geek my research turned up the same years ago.

Skaven sounds like raven.

My D&D knowledge is infallable muhahahahahah!

apoweyn
01-09-2003, 08:25 AM
d&d, call of cthulhu, warhammer...

guess i'm in good company. :)

red5angel
01-09-2003, 08:32 AM
I have to agree with CSN on Osos' new userpic and tag....

Ap - did you ever doubt it?

apoweyn
01-09-2003, 08:36 AM
no, no.

sometimes.

a little.

quite often.

yes.

red5angel
01-09-2003, 08:57 AM
nice gorillahead chair.....

apoweyn
01-09-2003, 09:59 AM
here's the full avatar:

Oso
01-09-2003, 10:03 AM
thanks

I thought 'pie slayer' was funny but then again, ya'll didn't see
how many pecan pie's I ate over the holiday's.

Oso
01-09-2003, 10:12 AM
CSN, I've seen that bit about the guy in the suit. He'd be just so
much mush inside it if a big enough brown really wanted to
play. Much less several brown's that had had a few overripe
berries!

has anyone seen the commercial clip for a canned salmon commercial where the bear kicks the fisherman's as s?
The guy in the bear suit does a credible spinning side kick.
pretty funny. I have it but it's too big to post I think.

there was another doc that I caught last year about a guy
who spent 3 months camping near a large group of bears
WITHOUT benefit of a suit. He was getting really dang close
to multiple brown's. There was plenty of fish and other
mast for the bears so they didn't have any particular grudge to
hold against the puny human.

red5angel
01-09-2003, 10:18 AM
That looks like one tough gorilla....

LOL! I saw that commercial, it put me in tears!
I love bears, those guys are great! I go camping up nrth once or twice a year and we usually spot a few. A few years back I had the chance to feed the worlds largest black bear in the wild. I can't remember his name offhand but he did a world tour an dthen retired to the Ojibwe res I was working on.
Don't get many browns though...

Oso
01-09-2003, 10:19 AM
yes, the official tsr pronunciation is is drow(cow) bit it still sounds
wimpy

my fav baddies for screwing the players was always jermlaines.

red5angel
01-09-2003, 10:24 AM
Gnolls all the way......big, scruffy stinky and mean

FatherDog
01-09-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
a giant anime robot - gundam's the word for that, right?

Gundam is a specific group of series, done by the same production company and (mostly) existing in the same universe, that makes heavy use of giant, human piloted automatons. The original Gundam series was one of the first (not the first, but among them) series to make heavy use of them (the original series is basically a series of war movies, but with giant, human piloted humanoid automatons instead of tanks). They are referred to in the Gundam series as "Gundams", but as a general class are usually referred to as "mechs" or "mecha". They're a common theme in many anime, almost akin to Westerns or superheroes over here.

45degree fist
01-09-2003, 02:05 PM
Im fairly new my avator is temporary until I find one that is more defining

jmd161
01-09-2003, 02:26 PM
My avatar was a way for me to show respect to my style,sigung, and Sifu.

It's a tiger paw followed by my name in chinese characters by a picture of a tiger with tiger in chinese characters.It also says my styles name and the name of my Sigung's clan in Hong Kong.

It also says To Che Sifu. Which translate to " Thank You Sifu " That's for my Sifu's that i've had and now have.

Sifu Gus
SifuAbel here on KFO
Sifu Fernando (RIP)
Sifu Fred Woo

jmd:)

Chang Style Novice
01-09-2003, 02:30 PM
Fatherdog -

Is it any wonder that I prefer Miyazaki?

Oops! I mean:

Thanks, got it.

red5angel
01-09-2003, 02:38 PM
FD - I wa sunder the impression that Gundam WAS the Big Robot series that started it all?

FatherDog
01-09-2003, 03:05 PM
FD - I wa sunder the impression that Gundam WAS the Big Robot series that started it all?

The Gundam movies/series started in the early 80's/late 70's. There are a lot of anime involving mecha before that; Mazinger Z aired in tv in Japan from 1972-1974, for example. (It was briefly released in the US in an extremely badly edited version as Transor Z.) Gundam was quite popular, though, and certainly contributed to the large rise in mecha shows during the 80's, and the popularity of the genre even today. Even among non-mecha-enthusiasts, the original three Gundam movies are considered "classic" anime for a variety of reasons, and the Gundam series has produced some very good movies and popular tv series.

Incidentally, although the strict dictionary definition can apply to either, sci-fi and anime convention is to refer to piloted automata as "mecha", "hardsuits," or "powered armor", and reserve the word "robot" for self-powered, artificially intelligent automata.

red5angel
01-09-2003, 03:10 PM
gotcha. thanks on the robot correction. Now I must send the corgi to kill you........

Oso
01-09-2003, 03:10 PM
gnolls are kinda nice to throw in as a change from the
goblin/orc rut.

And the Fiend Folio had the stepped up gnoll: Flinds who
were nasty bastiches.

FF was great and there were several good modules from the
UK.

red5angel
01-09-2003, 03:12 PM
Ah Flinds....mmmmmmmm. I wonder if they will do them up for third edition. However I have found that with the new rules on classing and leveling up monsters now you can make some pretty mean gnolls....

That's right!!!! Who's the geek boy now!!!! AHAHAHAHAHHAA!!!!

txwingchun
01-09-2003, 03:20 PM
Ah Flinds....mmmmmmmm. I wonder if they will do them up for third edition. However I have found that with the new rules on classing and leveling up monsters now you can make some pretty mean gnolls....

That's right!!!! Who's the geek boy now!!!! AHAHAHAHAHHAA!!!!

Yeah but with the new rules it makes you wonder why with so many monster and the ability to take a class why thye haven't over run the more civilized lands. I will have to challenge you on being the geek boy. Been gaming to long not to be a major gaming geek.

Chang Style Novice
01-09-2003, 03:24 PM
Aubrey Beardsley's illustrations of Classical and Biblical stories were a clear stylistic influence on Herge's Tintin and development of Klarlimt.

And that's all I got to say about my geek credentials. Well, for now.

red5angel
01-09-2003, 03:24 PM
bring it on txwingchun!!! My dad was a gaming geek and everytime Dave Arneson comes into town, him, a few freinds of mine and myself get together and game!!!!

KC Elbows
01-09-2003, 03:44 PM
Githyanki were always fun, as well as a good ole case of Tucker's Kobolds.

For raw destruction, little could match up to the tien lung.

As for Call of Cthulhu games, I'm with Ap. There is no point to play anything but the hapless librarian, because if the game is true to Lovecraft, everyone's screwed anyway, regardless of credentials. Not a good game for those on power trips.

And a hearty **** you to the makers of role master and Rifts, the only games where character generation will take much longer than actual game play.

As for old style, Traveller was great fun. Until you got shot. Or nuked. Or whatever. I loved that game back in the day.

Now, I just play an occassional Mordheim. Skaven are my warband.

@PLUGO
01-09-2003, 03:52 PM
GithYanki where always scarey Mo-Fo's...

but what ever happend to Bugbears?

oh and getting back to D&D pronuncations...

Bulette...

pronounced "bullet" "be-ulet" or "boo-lay"?

The good old land shark was fun to throw at a party... no I'm getting al Gaming Nostalgia . . .

CrippledAvenger
01-09-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
Fatherdog -

Is it any wonder that I prefer Miyazaki?

Oops! I mean:

Thanks, got it.

Chang, you're a man..er .. thing.... after my own heart. Did you see "Spirited Away"?

Chang Style Novice
01-09-2003, 04:07 PM
I are a man. I did see Spirited Away. I did love it. Anime about class warfare always has that effect on me.

txwingchun
01-09-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Design Sifu
GithYanki where always scarey Mo-Fo's...

but what ever happend to Bugbears?

oh and getting back to D&D pronuncations...

Bulette...

pronounced "bullet" "be-ulet" or "boo-lay"?

The good old land shark was fun to throw at a party... no I'm getting al Gaming Nostalgia . . .

Boo-lay is the pronunciation for it from what I've heard.

txwingchun
01-09-2003, 06:03 PM
bring it on txwingchun!!! My dad was a gaming geek and everytime Dave Arneson comes into town, him, a few freinds of mine and myself get together and game!!!!

Oh so now you're going to resort to the secret weapons that's ok I'm confident enough in my geekdom. See I never had that luxry I had to learn D&D on my own. And I had to travel 10 miles everyday in the snow uphill bothways without shoes.
Dave Arneson that's cool I heard he's supposed to be writing Blackmoor for 3e. I have the original one he wrote for early D&D of course I didn't get it when it first came out since I was only 3 or 4. Have you ever had a chance to game with Gary Gygax?
I've even got the whole D&D cartoon series on tape how's that for starters.

Oso
01-09-2003, 07:48 PM
txwingchun & r5a: I'll have to bow out on the super geek
challenge. My first game was around '76 or so and a giant
ant killed me. I didn't start collecting till early 90 but did amass
a decent collection of the 80's modules and a complete set of
first print, 1st edition rulebooks but sold it all last year 'cause
I thought I was buying a ring for a girl...

...anyway, I loved the forgotten realms. I think Ed was doing
his thing just shortly after GG and DA and is just as good if
not better. But, all praises due to GG & DA w/o a doubt.

r5a: c'mon...gaming w/ Dave Arneson??? really? not doubting
you but that's pretty f'in cool.

txwc: I'm probably wrong but wasn't Blackmoor it's own set of
rules before it became a D&D setting?

I've always pronounced it as 'bewlette' as in church pew.

ok, this is a dangerous question but who's playing Neverwinter?

it could be really cool to meet up and trash someone's online dungeon.

and I think this thread is officially shanghaid

straight blast
01-09-2003, 10:44 PM
Githyanki were always fun, :D Indeed.

Boo-lay.

But nothing compares to the mighty Tarrasque.

My Avatar? How I would like to look.

PHILBERT
01-09-2003, 11:15 PM
For the final project in my art class we had to draw anything we wanted using 5 words randomly from a dictionary. I drew 3 people, all who I know, and 2 fictional characters. One of the 3 real people was me, and I drew a picture of Kazuya Mishima and Hwoarang next to me. Hwoarang was flipping everyone off and Mishima was giving everyone this ****ed off look (like in my avatar).
http://www.namcoarcade.com/tekken4/images/tk4_profile_kazuya.jpg

Anyhoo we had to hang them on the wall and people would comment on different ones. This one girl said I looked just like Kazuya Mishima if I just slicked my hair back and gave them the right look. She even asked me to give her that look because she thought I was trying to draw me. What the 2 characters represented was how I view the world, Hwoarang flipping everyone off (found a character sketch of him from Tekken 3 doing that and redrew it) because basically I am flipping the world off, and Kazuya with his ****ed off look because I am always ****ed off, just some times it's more noticeable than others.

Edit: Forgot they censored **** here.

FatherDog
01-10-2003, 09:46 AM
Spirited Away was great; I saw it in a little theatre in Philly. I'm hoping it comes out on DVD; I'm sure there's a lot of little details that I missed, since it's been a while since I was big into Japanese myth structures.

Really, just about anything Miyazaki does is pretty golden.

I agree that the hapless librarian is truer to the spirit of Lovecraft's original stories, but really, to be true to the original spirit of Lovecraft's stories in a very strict sense makes it very difficult to play with more than one or two people. I can count on the fingers of one foot the number of Lovecraft stories that had more than one protagonist; often there's only two humans in the entire story. I feel that Delta Green maintains a pretty good Lovecraftian flavor, whilst giving A) a good reason for the PC's to be in a group, and B) a good reason for the PC's that survive the first adventure to actually have a second one, and not just run screaming at the first sign of cuttlefish.

As for the geek crown... well, I'm currently playing in a Buffy:The Vampire Slayer RPG. Being run by one of the people who has writing credits in the B:TVS corebook (released by Unisystem.) Which makes this the third game I've been in that's being GMed by someone who wrote part of the books for it.

red5angel
01-10-2003, 09:58 AM
txwingchun, yep, actually he has been running us through a Blackmoor campaign for some time now. At first he wasn't sure he wanted to go public with it but we are enjoying it and he seems to like the idea of reviving it more and more as time goes on.
I have met Gygax once or twice at a convention or two BUT my wifes mother claims to have gamed with him a few times when she was younger.

Oso - I played my first game out o fthe pink box when I was about 5 or 6. My dad ran it for myself and my uncle, all I remember is that it was keep on the borderlands and I hit the orc king with a piece of stale cheese for the kill.
Yep Dave is a good guy. I met him three years ago but my buddy out at fair has known him for years. He lives in Florida now but he comes up about 6 times a year and we all get together to game once or twice each time he comes up. As I pointed out to tx, he is using us to help test blackmoor for 3rd Ed.
Forgotten Realms is the campaign setting I run most of my games in, my current FR game has been going on for almost 2 year snow.

Straight Blast, ah the mighty Tarrasque, I have been eyeing it as a possible encounter since my party members reached 12th level.....;)

Chang Style Novice
01-10-2003, 11:06 AM
If you don't mind ordering region 0 Singaporan DVDs (with no english dubbing, but an english subtitle track) from ebay vendors, Spirited Away is currently available on DVD.

apoweyn
01-10-2003, 11:18 AM
oso, i'm playing neverwinter nights. haven't gotten much into designing yet though. no time, unfortunately.

father dog, i dig delta green. don't get me wrong. i just prefer CoC. delta green smacks too much of the central x-files myth for me. never dug that. loved the show. hated the central myth. (i know delta green offered alternative plots, but that was the one that was actually supported, so... )

stuart b.

red5angel
01-10-2003, 11:21 AM
Hey, you guys playing NWN, can you tell me if it's as linear as Icewind Dale II? So far I am unimpressed with the fact that you are totally railroaded into the storyline of the game. It shocks me after they put out Fallout 2 I thought they were getting away from that and going free form!

You guys want a good Horror RP, try to locate Chill. I dont think they produce the game now but I see it pop up periodically.

txwingchun
01-10-2003, 11:50 AM
Delta green is cool one of my favorite CoC settings outside the 1920's. I don't really do much pc RPG'ing i prefer my weekly game and since I'm the DM I'd rather spend time designing the adventure for my players.
red5angel how do you like the Blackmor setting as opposed to greyhawk or the realms?

apoweyn
01-10-2003, 12:09 PM
red5angel,

the prescripted scenario is pretty linear, yeah. lots of mini adventures feeding directly into a big one. but there's never much question as to what you should be doing at any given time.

the only time i've ever been satisfied with a computer game not railroading you is ultima online. but that, again, is because of the human element and the lack of any plot at all. in fact, that became a weakness eventually. i kept wishing that the hosts would have occassional events. like an orc attack from the west or something. something concrete and dramatic for people to rally their efforts around.

wow, we've strayed so far from KFO now that i briefly forgot which forum this was.

and so bloody what?! :)

stuart b.

FatherDog
01-10-2003, 12:13 PM
CSN - Yeah, I more meant that I was hoping for an american DVD release that would have loads of lovely extras explaining all the stuff that was glossed over in the dub, or that I didn't notice.

Apo - fair enough. I didn't really like X-files as a show much, either; I just think that Delta Green makes for a more sustainable game with most people's playstyles. Don't get me wrong, I like a game of rectum-clenching terror every now and again with pure CoC, but it's hard to sustain that on a repeated basis, I feel.

SanHeChuan
01-10-2003, 12:38 PM
I was sporting the dark elf avatar when willow sword was still sprouting bamboo stalks, or whatever.

and no its not drizzt.

i wish we had bigger avatars so you could see his eyes.

apoweyn
01-10-2003, 12:41 PM
father dog,

you're absolutely right about that, actually. in lovecraft's stories, a librarian (or whoever) comes across something awful and then goes bonkers. nothing to sustain there. so when you're playing CoC, there's this constant question about why on earth joe shmo would keep putting himself in harm's way that way. and delta green does a really good job of putting that in a credible framework. i do dig that. i like delta green for one shots. that's how we've always played it.

txwingchun
01-10-2003, 01:03 PM
Ap- the reason the average joe would put himslef in harms way is

1. He believes that there is hope an that the mythos threat can eventually be defeated.
or
2. He knows that the threat will destroy mankind in the end, but at least he can hold off the inevitable for a little while longer.

At least that's my take on it.

apoweyn
01-10-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by txwingchun
Ap- the reason the average joe would put himslef in harms way is

1. He believes that there is hope an that the mythos threat can eventually be defeated.
or
2. He knows that the threat will destroy mankind in the end, but at least he can hold off the inevitable for a little while longer.

At least that's my take on it.

well, that's my take on it too. but delta green does provide a good framework for the resources, manpower, etc. that such a campaign would require. in regular CoC, you're relying on the notion that people feel so compelled by the truth that they're willing to sacrifice everything to stop it. and that's certainly not a bad assumption. that's part of why i love CoC. delta green adds another credible angle though. but even within delta green, the motivation is the same. you're not required to do that in delta green. the assumption is that you do this for the same reasons. you believe it's worth dying for (or going mad) if it comes to that.

in any event, i agree with you. a slightly mad and very determined librarian with an elder sign and a tommy gun is not someone to be trifled with.

:)

red5angel
01-10-2003, 01:47 PM
I think CoC is unique because of that and that is what makes it fun. It's nice to step away from the Janitor-exmarine-fbi-sniper-come loaner to play something a little more believeable.
and let.s not forget the tommy gun goodness......

txwingchun
01-10-2003, 01:57 PM
And there is that satisfying moment in Delta Green when your group filss a mythos creature with few rounds a ultra powerful fire arms only to say after rolling multiple damage dice 10d10 or so and saying "Well you've appeared to have ****ed it off but it's still moving toward you, well it has slowed down for a second to eat half your party"

Muhahahaha!

And of course D&D has the Tarrasque for that.

FatherDog
01-10-2003, 02:10 PM
Incidentally, "All Flesh Must Be Eaten" is a very flexible zombie roleplaying game. You can use it to go for a very "Night of the Living Dead" survival-horror feel, or give the PC's big weapons and go splatterpunk instead... suits either.

The reason I mention is that, while different thematically, a massive number of inexplicable zombies, moving slowly but almost entirely indestructible, against a small number of poorly armed protagonist, can produce a feeling of helplessness and horror much akin to a good CoC campaign.

apoweyn
01-10-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by txwingchun
And there is that satisfying moment in Delta Green when your group filss a mythos creature with few rounds a ultra powerful fire arms only to say after rolling multiple damage dice 10d10 or so and saying "Well you've appeared to have ****ed it off but it's still moving toward you, well it has slowed down for a second to eat half your party"

Muhahahaha!

And of course D&D has the Tarrasque for that.

oh yes. that satisfaction cannot be underestimated. :)

most memorable (and saddest) delta green moment:

GM (paraphrased): there's a door and you can hear weird squishy noises on the other side.

Player 1: I get to the side of the door and draw my gun.

Player 2: I get to the other side.

Me: ...

GM: ...

Me: ...

GM: Stuart, what do you do?

Me: Er, I'll stand in front of the door, I guess.

[The End]

apoweyn
01-10-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by FatherDog
Incidentally, "All Flesh Must Be Eaten" is a very flexible zombie roleplaying game. You can use it to go for a very "Night of the Living Dead" survival-horror feel, or give the PC's big weapons and go splatterpunk instead... suits either.

The reason I mention is that, while different thematically, a massive number of inexplicable zombies, moving slowly but almost entirely indestructible, against a small number of poorly armed protagonist, can produce a feeling of helplessness and horror much akin to a good CoC campaign.

got it! and the hong kong action film supplement for it, "enter the zombie."

haven't run it yet. but i'm looking forward to that.

stuart b.

red5angel
01-10-2003, 02:20 PM
"Me: Er, I'll stand in front of the door, I guess."

LOL! that just made my day.....

apoweyn
01-10-2003, 02:44 PM
here to serve. :)

Oso
01-10-2003, 02:49 PM
"Me: Er, I'll stand in front of the door, I guess."

me too. That's why you keep an old milk jug under the table
for the long sessions...never leave the table.

hell, I definitely lose the gaming geek crown. I've never played
too much besides d&d. A little Top Secret and Paranoia once and
hated it. Oh, and Traveller some.

:( decided last year after not cracking a book in 5 years to auction
all my d&d stuff on ebay:( :( :( :( :(

but, now, thanks to Winmx I am collecting most of it in .pdf

as well as some 3ed stuff:confused: :confused: surprised to see
it out there but since the bigger fish syndrome caught up to
Wizards and it's all owned by Milton Bradly or Hasbro (can't
remember which) I don't really have a problem w/ snagging it.

don't tell the karma police!!

Neverwinter: the solo is very slow. I have not tried to go online
yet but hitting some else's dungeon is supposed to be much
better.

How it ID II? Haven't bought it yet.
I'm stuck forever in DII.

Magic, anyone?

r5a, I think your dad get's the geek crown.:)

red5angel
01-10-2003, 03:01 PM
My dad is a big gamer. He is a ranked chess player and now I guess he is looking at going pro golf. I suppose talking your 6 year old into sitting down with you and your brother to play D&D is pretty geeky though!

You hated Paranoia?! The last time I played that game I hadn't laughed that hard gaming in forever!

As for IDII, it's ok. It's a little too linear for my taste but it is still sort of fun. In my opinion it doesn't play like the book and paper game at all. I have gone through more monks then I care to count and if I could have I would have thrown my last cleric off a tall cliff.

"me too. That's why you keep an old milk jug under the table
for the long sessions...never leave the table."

and that just ain't right......

JOHNNY
01-10-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by ewallace
For some reason, the movie "Blood In, Blood Out" popped into my head yesterday. Hence the reason for "Vatos Locos Forever".
That avatar rocks!!! Just call me milkweed.:D
Johnny

Oso
01-10-2003, 03:22 PM
You hated Paranoia?! The last time I played that game I hadn't laughed that hard gaming in forever!

I guess I take my gaming a little too seriously. The idea of
playing a game where you go through the same character
6 times was just not up my alley.

ok, now I'm getting confused about which thread is which since
we are talking about gaming in two different ones.

I'll fix that.........................

M_ArtsMargie
01-10-2003, 04:53 PM
johnny***when did you get that avatar? I dont remember seeing that one. Did you change it?

I dont know why i have that one. Probably becuase One of the guys were nice enough to make one for me:D

JOHNNY
01-10-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by M_ArtsMargie
johnny***when did you get that avatar? I dont remember seeing that one. Did you change it?

I dont know why i have that one. Probably becuase One of the guys were nice enough to make one for me:D
Its always been the same. I need a new one though. Dont know what though
johnny