PDA

View Full Version : Back exercises?

SirenOfAcreLane
01-07-2003, 06:35 PM
Yeah, i've been noticing recently, that my back is feeling a little weak. It's the lower back, and my neck that feels the weakest. Just wondering if there are any safe exercises i can do to strengthen both my neck and back, that don't involve weights, but are still effective.

Thanks in advance.

rubthebuddha
01-08-2003, 12:58 AM
supermen. :)

you can do them several ways, but they all start with your body face down on the ground.

1. lift your upper body and lower body at the same time, using your lower abdomen as the base point. try to extend the crown of your head up and away from your feet (more up) and your legs, mostly straight, do the same, but away from your noggin.
2. do the same as number one, but only using one leg at a time. the other remains on the ground. this takes slightly more coordination.
3. do the same as number one, but only use your upper body. both legs stay flat on the ground.

also, a typical yoga bridge can be nice:

back flat on the floor, feet flat, shoulder width apart, pointed forward, close to the butt. arch your back slowly and try to bring your shoulders underneath your back and arms underneath as well. as you arch your back more, clasp your hands and bring your shoulders as close together as comfortable. arch your back until your torso and thighs are in a straight line. MOST IMPORTANT -- keep your knees pulled together using your adductor muscles -- do NOT let your knees splay out to the side. hold this position and feel your back, butt and hamstrings start to enjoy it. hold this position until after they start to not like it.

:)

SirenOfAcreLane
01-08-2003, 10:18 AM
Thanks very much. That second one sounds like fun.
Is it ok to do those everyday, or should i do them less?

rubthebuddha
01-08-2003, 12:51 PM
yup, but it's not necessary. i'd do them every other day and focus more on proper form and how long you can hold that position.

couple more important points on the bridge:

1. keep your shins perpendicular to the ground. straight up-and-down shins will make sure your knees aren't tugged in the wrong direction
2. keep a straight line from through your torso and thighs the whole time. imagine your spine lengthening outward through your tailbone.
3. another chance to emphasize that your knees should not splay out to the side.
4. try to stay as relaxed as you can through this, breathing nice and deep into your tummy. yoga breathing is typically done in and out through the nose.

SirenOfAcreLane
01-08-2003, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the info, man. I'm going to do them first thing tomorrow.