PDA

View Full Version : stances-stretching= strength!

Rolling Elbow
01-07-2003, 08:52 PM
Gentlemen,

I already pound the weights 2-3 times a week and train 2-3 times a week at my club ( or hall seeing as there are only 5-8 of us) but was interested in knowing if any of you chinese stylists have any stance training and stretching routines that you might wish to share with the rest of us. I'm looking for something that will promote strength and stretching and wondered how i might start putting together a good 30 min workout which might do this..something to alternate on the days i don't strength train. Any ideas? What have you guys had good experiences with soo far?

Serpent
01-07-2003, 09:07 PM
Wow, big question!

I highly recommend combining all the common stances of your style into a smooth progression and then using that as a moving "stance form". i.e., go from horse stance into bow stance into cross stance, etc. Work out a routine that transitions smoothly from one stance into the next on both sides. Then go through it several times and increase the time you hold each stance each time. i.e. first time through hold each stance for a count of 5, then a count of 10, etc. Finish with a fast progression through a couple of times without holding at all. You'd be surprised at how good a workout that can be!

General stance holding is good for strength, initially, then endurance and can be good meditation.

Look into zhang zhuan training techniques too.

Just something to start with! ;)

SevenStar
01-07-2003, 10:10 PM
step into left bow stance, step forward with right foot into horse stance. Step back with left foot into scissors stance. stomp the right foot into the ground and go into a left golden rooster stance. Drop into left tiger stance. shift forward into left bow stance and step into right cat stance.

stand in horse stance. step into left bow stance. shift back into left cat stance. return to horse stance. Repeat on the other leg.

SevenStar
01-07-2003, 10:12 PM
WD, why'd you delete your post?

Cheese Dog
01-07-2003, 10:39 PM
Rolling Elbow, the best way I have found for myself to do stance training is simply to do all of my forms with the lowest stances possible. Keep your head at the same level (don't let your body bob up and down) on horse stance, front stance, back stance and scissors stance. Of course, you'll be a little higher on cat stances and crane stances. These low stances are also a good stretching workout.

Serpent
01-07-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Cheese Dog
Rolling Elbow, the best way I have found for myself to do stance training is simply to do all of my forms with the lowest stances possible. Keep your head at the same level (don't let your body bob up and down) on horse stance, front stance, back stance and scissors stance. Of course, you'll be a little higher on cat stances and crane stances. These low stances are also a good stretching workout.

I would expect that that is a given. You should always train your stances that way. I'm figuring that RE is looking for extra stance training.

yenhoi
01-07-2003, 10:53 PM
I got one called iron-broom, hard to describe:

From say, horse stance, put all your weight on one leg, and then sink down on it, bending at the knee all the way, as far as you can go and keep you balance. From that squat position, shift your weight to the other leg, slowly. Then, turn backwards, dragging your outstretched foot 180 degrees, shift to the other leg, turn backwards dragging the leg... etc. You move in a straight line, but you can actually move in any direction!

:eek:

Serpent
01-07-2003, 10:59 PM
Sounds like a development of one-legged squats, Yenhoi. Good one, I'm gonna try that myself!

Serpent
01-07-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Rolling Elbow
Gentlemen,

I already pound the weights 2-3 times a week and train 2-3 times a week at my club ( or hall seeing as there are only 5-8 of us) but was interested in knowing if any of you chinese stylists have any stance training and stretching routines that you might wish to share with the rest of us. I'm looking for something that will promote strength and stretching and wondered how i might start putting together a good 30 min workout which might do this..something to alternate on the days i don't strength train. Any ideas? What have you guys had good experiences with soo far?

By the way, this first post is a little sexist, RE. We got some knowledgable sistahs on here too ya know! Shame on you!

;)

SevenStar
01-07-2003, 11:17 PM
does taijutsu offer no such routines?

omarthefish
01-07-2003, 11:24 PM
If you want to use a form to emphasise stance training you stop after each movement and hold ot for a set period of time or number of breath cycles. Do the first move -freeze- count to ten s l o w l y -- next move -freeze-. and so on.

Souljah
01-08-2003, 04:30 AM
yea what serpent said in the second post I'd say is a very effective way of stance training, it also does stretch you quite abit if you have quite low and wide stances in you system.
If not then stretching can be done seperatly.
We do this progressional stance work at our class in the beginning and I practice at home for slightly longer periods - especially in horse stance, I 've been building it up lately - about 11mins then the shakes get abit out of hand :(

-greg

Mizong_Kid
01-08-2003, 06:02 AM
souljahhhhhhhhh

11 minutes of horse stance........you must be strong!

Rolling Elbow
01-08-2003, 09:29 AM
taijutsu offers such routines but usually it is left up tot he practitioner to assess his wekanesses and work on it from there. I've assessed mine and hence the question! .. we do have stances/postures and they can be incorporated in low and stretched positions. Just wondering what you guys and gals have experienced and also what bennefits you received from such training. greateer strength? speed? etc.. being more rooted? quicker transitions?

SaMantis
01-08-2003, 11:18 AM
Good recommendation, Bates!

One of my kung fu sisters did ballet for several years before getting into martial arts. She showed us a few stretching routines to loosen up the hips, back, etc. which made getting into low stances much easier. Even the hard-core macho guys learned the routines.

Serpent
01-08-2003, 03:44 PM
Also, a good yoga is great for stretching routines. A lot of MAists "cross-train" in yoga.