PDA

View Full Version : Are there any other SOUTHERN MANTIS SCHOOLS OR SHIFUS IN NEW YORK CITY

mantis7
08-29-2000, 09:29 AM
Hey all...

Are there any SPM shifus in new york at all... ( besides norman chin)
Also where is Norman Chin Located at if anyone knows

David
08-29-2000, 01:24 PM
"CKFA of Southern Praying Mantis Kung Fu Federation USA Training Club"

James Spinell
Raleigh,
NC.
(919) 787 1944

Lung Ying
08-29-2000, 09:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mantis7:
Hey all...

Are there any SPM shifus in new york at all... ( besides norman chin)
Also where is Norman Chin Located at if anyone knows[/quote]

Hi-

I know the Southern Praying Mantis school is in the Chinese Community center in Chinatown NY, it may be Norman Chin's school but I'm not sure. If you really need to know I can find more info for you (I work with someone who studied SPM here in NYC)

Peace

mantis7
08-29-2000, 10:34 PM
Lung Ying

hey thanks I wouldnt mind at all even if it was Norman chin this is for my Brother,,, he likes mantis but he perfers southern mantis... go figure me and him are like south and north.. I do 7 star praying mantis

Victor

Wah Ren Jie
08-29-2000, 10:55 PM
Hey guys!!! I don't study Mantis but it was always a style that was of great interest to me. What are the fundamental differences between the styles? (7-star, 8-step, southern, etc.) Thanks!

MoQ
08-30-2000, 06:10 AM
8 Step comes from 7-Star(all North mantis does) and South Mantis is no relation whatsoever to North Mantis.

ChanMan
08-30-2000, 07:34 AM
Norman Chin's Southern Mantis is located in New York CIty's Chinatown's YMCA located on Hester Street. I think he's there twice a week.

The Whyzyrd
08-30-2000, 07:37 AM
I have friend who studied at a Southern Mantis school in Trenton (I know, that's not NYC) but have no idea who or where. I'll find out if you want.

Self-Thinking Follower
08-31-2000, 02:15 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, I think if your looking for Southern Mantis, your better off trying to meet Lum Sangs disciples themselves. There really has'nt been a southern mantis school in NY since Mark Foon left. Even back then, Mark Foon and J.Soo, his nephew, and one of Lum Sangs "last five" did'nt teach much mantis. Now before you start nasty posts, make sure you know just what the system is comprised of, okay? If your not ignorant, then you know this system has less than a handfull of sets but people like Norman, teach a lot of other sets to their students, why? Is'nt it hard enough to perfect one? Why is'nt anyone learning 108? or Poison Snake? Norman, Milton and their crews have been teaching since the 70's. Which of their long time students have learned this? Surely in 30 years or so, they could of produced another generation who could teach the art. Where are these new generation instructors?

MoQ
09-01-2000, 12:31 AM
Uh-oh, great point STF...
but what's a "Mark Foon"? Gin Foon Mark is a romanization of Mok, Chin-Fung...

Self-Thinking Follower
09-01-2000, 05:19 AM
We have always called him Mark Foon,sifu, that's what the Toisan community here in NY addresses him as. Since, in chinese characters, the name would be written the same but depending on what dialect you spoke you would read those characters and pronounce them differently, romanization is up to Gin Foon Mark, who decides how he wants to spell it for americans. Otherwise you would have as many romanizations as they're dialects in China. Understand? In any case the chinese use their surname first, so in China it would be Q, Mo. Does that help?

MoQ
09-01-2000, 08:40 AM
Okay I get it, you are romanizing and then keeping the surname first.... Oh and thanks for the interesting lesson... http://216.219.234.88/forum/roundtable/tongue.gif

fukien
09-01-2000, 08:43 AM
Well, there's NC's partner, at http://members.tripod.com/~miltonchin/

Although last time we stopped by, the school looked like it was closed.

Self-Thinking Follower
09-01-2000, 10:04 AM
Yes, that's Norman's classmate who I mentioned in my earlier post. His site offers, questions answered through e-mail, maybe some of you would like to question "his" Chin family southern mantis.
Maybe he can account for the many rumours surrounding their line of Jook Lum. Of course, I dont know if he teaches any Jook Lum but then maybe he does. If not, you can ask him why? If he does, then ask upfront How much $$$, and if there are any "Gate Fees" or "Take care of Sifu, fees" or "Pay rent, fees" etc. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

No, I have never studied with them, but do know a half dozen or so individuals with a bad taste in their mouths. It's very sad, one other thing, If you cant find any Southern Mantis and have to go to these individuals, bring extra cash and some easy breaking dowel rods, for Norman.

travelsbyknight
05-21-2005, 10:39 PM
keep this thread alive

al1m
09-26-2006, 05:12 PM
i dont practise kung fu, but i do know norman, he does teach in NY on certain week days and in New jersey as well on most weekdays, i think he has tuesday or weds off...he teaches at night alot, and right now i think is cutting down to teaching 2-3 times a week

Sam
09-27-2006, 03:03 PM
James Cama has been given ceremony By the Chinese Freemason's Association as their Sifu of the Kwong Sai Jook Lum Gee Tong Long Pai of Grand Master Lam Sang. JCama108@aol.com

spmkf
11-19-2006, 08:37 AM
Norman Chins school is located at 100 Hester Street in Chinatown NY. He teaches there Tuesday Thursday and Saturday. On Monday Wednesday and Friday he drives to NJ to teach SPM also. He is highly recommended by many other Sifu's.

Sam
11-19-2006, 07:05 PM
James Cama Sifu JCama108@aol.com

spmkf
12-30-2006, 01:58 PM
self thinking follower,

Two of Norman Chins disciples are teaching this style. And your wrong, Norman doesnt teach the whole style of hung gar. Mantis forms are very short and if he taught nothing but spm then you would become a sifu pretty quick dont you think? Norman has reasons for everything but there is no point talking to you. You talk about sifu's who are of much higher level than you. Go train with Norman and his Partner for a while then give your opinion but as of know you should keep you mouth closed because you have no idea what you are talking about. You said "how come nobodys learning 108 point"? Thats because its the last and most advanced form in the system so you should learn more about the system before you start nasty posts.

Sam
12-30-2006, 04:34 PM
James Cama Sifu C.F.M.A.C. will be teaching Kwong Sai Jook Lum Gee Tong Long Pai Southern Praying Mantis G.M. Lam Sang lineage at Chinatown Sports Club 225 Park Row, N.Y.C. Monday & Wednesday 8:00 to 10:00pm contact: JCama108@aol.com 347 495-6992.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Self-Thinking Follower
12-31-2006, 03:30 AM
Wow, almost 6 years and 4 months to bring you up to courage, was your first post on this thread a warm up?

I have to laugh at this because you obviously dont have reading comprehension!

For example: I said...

Now before you start nasty posts, make sure you know just what the system is comprised of, okay? If your not ignorant, then you know this system has less than a handfull of sets

Obviously STF knows what Lum Sangs system is comprised of and...

but people like Norman, teach a lot of other sets to their students, why? Is'nt it hard enough to perfect one?

...means he also knows that "THE FORM" is 108, the rest either derived from it or are borrowed ;) and Quality is more important than Quantity!

But from these old posts, you got this:

Norman doesnt teach the whole style of hung gar. Mantis forms are very short and if he taught nothing but spm then you would become a sifu pretty quick dont you think?

Just out of curiosity, where did this idea that the whole style of Hung Gar is taught by Norman, come from? Re read this ancient thread again because reading is FUNDAMENTAL! and I cant find any mention of Hung gar on this thread. Was this a slip up on your part pointing to the truth? also I DONT think you can become a Sifu pretty quick PERIOD!

Now about this:

Two of Norman Chins disciples are teaching this style.

Are they Sifu? Are they Sifu in Jook Lum? Do they know 108?

And Finally:

Norman has reasons for everything but there is no point talking to you. You talk about sifu's who are of much higher level than you.

Well, we all have our reasons for doing things and sometimes its just stupidity. I decided to smarten up and not post for a while but as you see I am failing miserably.

Whats your real reason for posting?

If you are a true student of Norman, post your name with Honor, so he and the martial world can reward you. I, choose to remain unknown, because maybe Im not on the high level that those Sifus have, but my comments on this matter for THAT time period remain.

Now there exsist many more PUBLIC Choices but the quality is not that of Lum Sangs direct disciples. Do you agree or disagree?

If you do, then you will understand why this was stated:

Ladies and Gentlemen, I think if your looking for Southern Mantis, your better off trying to meet Lum Sangs disciples themselves

If you dont, then BE HAPPY! a mind is a terrible thing to waste on this internet forum .

STF- deceased