PDA

View Full Version : Which chinese styles are big on whipping/slapping palm strikes?

Kinjit
01-08-2003, 02:09 PM
As I understand it the internal styles do these alot. I'm a big fan of this kind of striking because I have small hands and can't put as much "juice" in my closed fists. I mean more circular palm strikes as opposed to thrusting palm-heels. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

MightyB
01-08-2003, 02:15 PM
Pimp Fu.

Actually, 7*Praying Mantis has a lot of open handed strikes.

Brad
01-08-2003, 02:19 PM
:D

Pigua and Tongbei come to mind.

carly
01-08-2003, 03:00 PM
and also fanzi.

Andrew
01-08-2003, 05:17 PM
My guess you are having problems using your body to generate power. To maxmise your power all of you power centres have to work together.

Kinjit
01-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Andrew
My guess you are having problems using your body to generate power. To maxmise your power all of you power centres have to work together.

Thanks, but that's not what this thread is about.

David Jamieson
01-08-2003, 05:53 PM
Pretty much all styles of Pa Kua and Tai Chi.

It's in North Shaolin (bsl) too.

cheers

Ben Gash
01-08-2003, 05:59 PM
Having small hands should make it easier for you to put power into your punches :confused:

Kinjit
01-08-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Ben Gash
Having small hands should make it easier for you to put power into your punches :confused:

Are you talking about penetration power? Anyway, if I was a bareknuckle boxer I'd much rather have thick wrists and sledgehammers for hands.

The Willow Sword
01-08-2003, 07:15 PM
As I understand it the internal styles do these alot. I'm a big fan of this kind of striking because I have small hands and can't put as much "juice" in my closed fists. I mean more circular palm strikes as opposed to thrusting palm-heels. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

white crane does this alot: of course pakua does a ton of slapping and whipping power strikes.

if you are a short dude with small hands i would recommend that you get into Tiger.
MRTWS

Kinjit
01-08-2003, 07:40 PM
Willow Sword, thanks for the information. I'm very happy with my training in Shantung Kuntao, and feel like I've found home. I just like to expand my knowlegde on other arts and see how they do things. Fanzi, Pigua and Tongbei - any more information on these? Never Heard of them. Thanks.

David Jamieson
01-08-2003, 08:15 PM
Kinjit -

I'm interested to hear how you came across a northern chinese/indonesian style.

cheers

Kinjit
01-08-2003, 08:32 PM
Kung Lek, I practice Historical Fencing in the ARMA method, and I've always been interested in Indonesian and Filipino martial arts, but never came around to practice it. Anyhow, my Sifu is here in Sweden studying, needed a place to train and met a guy from our training hall in school. When I first saw them doing drills I thought it was the coolest thing I've ever seen - I became an instant fan. I guess I'm very lucky, but it feels almost like KunTao found me, not the other way around. ;)

David Jamieson
01-08-2003, 08:44 PM
cool-

what's the Shantung connection to the Kuntao?

cheers

HopGar
01-09-2003, 06:53 AM
HopGar and Lama Pai comes to mind................(pretty external styles)

Taomonkey
01-09-2003, 09:03 AM
several kun tao families use whiping and slapping techniques, Master Carl Spitalle is very big on the whip. As for slapping yourself, Chimunda comes to mind. And I think American Kenpo had some in its forms above blue belt. dont quote me on that though.

carly
01-09-2003, 10:50 AM
but you have heard of Indonesian kuntao from Shantung???
They are three famous whipping arm northern styles.

Kinjit
01-09-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by carly
but you have heard of Indonesian kuntao from Shantung???
They are three famous whipping arm northern styles.

Yes.

Kinjit
01-09-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Kung Lek
cool-

what's the Shantung connection to the Kuntao?

cheers

You would do best to look at the official homepage: http://www.kuntao.no/

Ben Gash
01-09-2003, 04:24 PM
Honestly , have none of you guys ever read "weapons and fighting arts of Indoneasia" by Don Draeger??? Your education is sadly lacking (or you get out more than I do). This clearly depicts Kuntao in Java as being largely unadulterated CMA, and indeed refers to Shantung Kuntao. Indeed, according to this source the part Silat, part CMA mish mash that you see as Kuntao in the West is usually referred to as Silat

Kinjit
01-09-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Ben Gash
Honestly , have none of you guys ever read "weapons and fighting arts of Indoneasia" by Don Draeger??? Your education is sadly lacking (or you get out more than I do). This clearly depicts Kuntao in Java as being largely unadulterated CMA, and indeed refers to Shantung Kuntao. Indeed, according to this source the part Silat, part CMA mish mash that you see as Kuntao in the West is usually referred to as Silat

Who are you talking to?

Gold Horse Dragon
01-09-2003, 05:38 PM
Actually Kuntao also refers to the hybridization of the various arts of Silat and CMA...for example Matjan Kuntao (Tiger Style Kun Tao).

GHD

Ben Gash
01-09-2003, 06:17 PM
Kinjit, everyone but you.
Gold Horse Dragon, that would be the aforementioned part Silat, part CMA mish mash then..........

Kinjit
01-09-2003, 06:21 PM
OK :) Just to make things clear, I'm a complete beginner in the system - whatever I say about Shantung Kuntao may or may not be true.

Gold Horse Dragon
01-09-2003, 06:25 PM
Hybrid means a solid integration of two or more existing styles to make a solid and logical art. Mish mash refers to something that is put together without logic or insight and is not very good. Another example of a hybrid art is Choy Lee Fut which combined northern and southern Shaolin.

GHD

David Jamieson
01-09-2003, 06:57 PM
I have to agree with GHD's perspective on this.

The Kung Fu taught to me was from several styles but by no means a mish mash. It was very well thought out and progressively built the student over time.

Not only North Shaolin but Southern Shaolin and elements of Kun Tao and other arts.

To call it "mish mash" is to not give it the creedence it deserves.

The Dutch indos and the indonesians themselves developed quite a few highly formiddable arts from what they were taught of the Chinese Martial arts and blended with their own.

The Choy Li Fut was a perfect example. The current state of Hung Gar is another perfect example.

Bak sil Lum of Kyu Yu Cheong Lineage is yet another example of hybridization to what it is now. ( think Lien Bo, Tan Tui and Cha Chuan usage in the development of the style)

btw the way, i haven't read don draegers book about it and had only ever heard of Shantung Black Tiger style in another book by draeger.

I read the site Kinjit. Is the founder from Shantung and hence the connection?

cheers

fiercest tiger
01-09-2003, 08:06 PM
yau kung mun use this in our internal system, its to attack the organs and spine. we have a iron palm level for vibrating/slapping palm........the good old BIATCH SLAP!:)

ft

Aslan
02-17-2003, 02:17 PM
I studied Kuntao Silat for many years, until my teacher moved away. I went into gypsy mode, searching for a school that I liked as a replacment.

Tried WC, Kempo, etc. but could not find a system (or teacher) I liked. It may be that I wasn't willing to empty my cup, so to speak, but that's another discussion completely.

I have found a new school that I like so far. The emphasis is on practical application, not trivia or competition. (Unless survival is considered competition.)

Many aspects of many styles are brought to bear. Everything from Bauga, Kuntao, Mantis, JKD, etc. Not as a mish-mash, but as sources of techniques.

Another aspect of this school that I like is that it is not a "one size fits all" mentality. My physical makeup is different from other people in my class and vise versa. Techniques that are appropriate for me will not necessarily work as well for them.

What I really like is that I get to use my Kuntao & share it with the class, and others in the class get to share what they have learned at other schools.

There is no "my art is better than your art" nonsense. We recognize that all have something to offer.

dnc101
02-17-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Taomonkey
I think American Kenpo had some in its forms above blue belt. dont quote me on that though.

I know you said not to quote you, but, you are correct in that American Kenpo uses what some call a 'slap'. It is not a slap. The weapon is the heel of your hand. It is a heel palm strike delivered in an arcing instead of thrusting manner. You must be a relaxed fighter to do this effectively, and it is devastating.

A common example of using this strike is a follow up for an upward elbow to the chin. Instead of wasting motion 'chambering' (yich!)for another strike, whip your elbow down. The forearm arcs forward and the relaxed wrist bends naturally back, leaving the heel of your hand leading. The target is the bridge of his nose, which your elbow strike has placed in perfect position. The arm and hand tighten at impact, then relax again as you convert to a finger technique targeting the eyes. Or fold the elbow for an inward elbow to his mandible. Follow that with an outward elbow. The uninterupted flow is great. And it is that whipping 'slap'(?) that made it possible. It also probably broke his nose.

Cheese Dog
02-18-2003, 12:14 AM
Dnc, NICE technique!!!:cool:

The Hung Gar tiger and crane form has that very same move. Great for taking an opponent out!

desertwingchun2
02-18-2003, 12:31 AM
Aslan - Just interested, where in Az are you training and where did you try WC?
-David

Shah
02-18-2003, 12:49 AM
I was just reading the posts and read Cheese dog's sig, very nice :p

uncle
02-18-2003, 11:55 AM
I don't know about the logistics of going from Sweden to Norway, but a KF brother of mine just moved to Oslo. We train in GM Liu Yun Qiao's Baji/Piqua. Just an idea he posts on the internal arts board under Baji-fist give him a shout maybe you can work something out, I know he just started a Chen Tai Chi class. [list=a]
[/list=a] Regards Uncle Bob:cool: