PDA

View Full Version : kwoon altar and ceremony

sing fu
08-30-2000, 08:24 AM
Dear Kung Fu Online members,

I am interested in the meaning of the altar and ceremonies used in southern chinese martial arts, and would like to pose two questions regarding this:

1)I would like to ask whether the altar used by nankuen (hung gar, wing chun, choy lay fut etc) is the same for each style, and also what the altar consists of?

2)What kind of ceremonies (content) are used in the various kwoon?

Thank you in advance!

sing fu
08-31-2000, 06:53 AM
Once again, if anyone might be so kind as to reply to this question, I would be very grateful.

Thank you!

bean curd
08-31-2000, 02:41 PM
ok
i'll start it off and hopefully others will come in and assist.

alters, vary greatly from school to school, some very elaborate while others can be with the basics.

usually there are three "couplets", and then there are photo's, this again depends on the sifu, their lineage, which will then show more or less photo's than others.

first the couplets.

normally three, one going horizontal, and at the top, this is the style or name of the which the school is known.

the two couplets that are vertical, usually state the principles or the focus of the art.

the charaters used in the vertical couplet will be the same in number and are poetic.

the photo's depending on how many, will be the history of the art.

at the top will be the principle founder of the art, and underneath the lineage of those to the sifu, or the direct lineage holders of the art. in earlier days, there would be the names of the players, these days photo's now take precedence.

the photo's or names are always those of deceased masters.

saint kwan is always on the alter table,due to him being the patriarch of the arts.

joss sticks are there in the number of three, and some kwoons will also use flowers and fruit.

some kwoons may also have the words of the founder also in the alter, which is of great importance.

the purpose is for respect,and other virtues, there is generally no religious intent placed in regards to the alter

hope this has helped and others can/will expand for you

regards

sing fu
09-02-2000, 05:28 AM
thanks for your insight, bean curd - I really appreciate it!