PDA

View Full Version : my leg mass progress!

Rolling Elbow
01-08-2003, 02:41 PM
yup, i am one of those people who is not an ectomorph, but seems to have been dished out the ectomorphs share of legs! I think it is because i have long legs and a shorter upper body (if talking symmetry) so I had to set out to put some mass on these sticks! It looks stupid to have a huge upper body and nolegs. I know that my upper body can pack on mass in no times but the legs were always reluctant from extensions or other machines that i have used over the years. So i just kept the weight off the top half instead.

I'll tell you right now, focusing on lifting and lowering (negatives) heavy weight with proper form in the deadlift, squat, and clean has after a month, made noticeable difference in muscle. The lack of calves is now starting to change even if not noticeable to anyone else..thighs are definitely sporting more shape and mass and i only take protein shakes on the days i workout. Usually 3 times a week.

So there ya have it, if you ever needed to pack on some leg muscle and you didn't think it was possible..it is! patience and good form are important. I guess i did get something out of Pavel's books after all... Forget the tons of sets and reps and exercises, stick to a few heavy compound exercises and do them properly and slowly.

p.s- my back is getting strong as a result of this as well.

Later Comrades!

SevenStar
01-09-2003, 12:22 AM
Good job! Slowly but surely, we'll rid the world of chicken legged MA's :D

IronFist
01-09-2003, 12:26 AM
Good job.

I thought symmetry referred to left and right symmetry, not upper body and legs? At least that's how I've always used it.

I've been trying to bulk up over christmas break. I've noticed a bit of growth in my legs. All I've been doing is squats. Deadlifts are more fun I think, but squats make my legs grow more.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

IronFist

Rolling Elbow
01-09-2003, 02:42 PM
I think the best thing to do is to do all the exercises..squats are definitely the builder but i think the deadlifts help incorporate the lower back and hammies and calves to a certian extent because of the tendency to squeeze the muscles outwards..i don't know how to explain the feeling but it feels like when i am lifting, i am tensing those muscles outward.

as for the symmetry, my appologies on the meaning, maybe i ment proportions? my legs are sticks though, can't have a ninja with sticks for legs so i am gonna beef these suckas up!

SirenOfAcreLane
01-09-2003, 03:01 PM
I'm gonna start working on my legs pretty soon, but i'm worried about injuring myself.

Does anyone know the correct amount of weight i should be lifting per 10kg's of bodyweight?

IronFist
01-09-2003, 04:35 PM
I'm gonna start working on my legs pretty soon, but i'm worried about injuring myself.

If you perform the exercises properly, there is almost no danger. Squats are your best bet for building leg strength and size. Feel free to post questions here, but start a new topic if you do.

Does anyone know the correct amount of weight i should be lifting per 10kg's of bodyweight?

There is no set standard for how much you should lift based on how much you weigh. Start light and move up. Unless you are competitive, weight lifting is about progress, not how much you should be able to lift.

IronFist

Rolling Elbow
01-12-2003, 02:49 PM
I just pulled my lower back this afternoon on my third set of deadlifts! :-( Power to the people my @$$!

I thought it was weird that the first set seemed awefully easy..the second set was normal and i was really focusing on a straight back and bending and pulling the weight properly from the legs.. i just felt a strain and case closed. Workouts are suspended for this week...

I think i may just stick with squats, hyperextensions for lower back, wrist work, hack squats and a variety of home calve exercises with my weighted chinning belt.

Anybody else ever run into the lower back problem? I am really focusing on proper form but find that i get a bit of strain in the lower back from time to time... usually squats make me feel it, the deadlifts really surprised me though. I think this has been an eye opener to really develloping my lower back. I mean i am really focused on form and this happens.. i need to start getting to the point where my lowr back is goingto be able to handle the load..any suggestions?

IronFist
01-12-2003, 08:41 PM
Rolling Elbow, sorry about your injury. Were your abs tight before you started pulling?

IronFist

Cheese Dog
01-13-2003, 01:09 AM
Sorry to learn of your injury. Make sure you're healed before you start working your back again.

While you are healing, make sure to do light stretches to keep your lower back limber. Also work your abs with exercises that don't involve the lower back, such as crunches, reverse crunches, and oblique crunches. Strong abs support your back.

Once you are healed, back extensions, hyperextensions, and reverse hyperextensions are all great for strenthening the lower back.

Always make sure your abs are tight during ANY exercise, even light ones. This will greatly reduce your chances of injury.

Good luck,

Cheese Dog

inic
01-13-2003, 07:33 AM
i just recovered from a back injury about 3 weeks ago... took 3 months to heal! nothing you can do, just massage and rest

Rolling Elbow
01-13-2003, 07:49 AM
You know what..

I think back to my third set and I think i wasn't as focused as I usually am and may have released the tension in my body while lifting..however, i think this was bound to happen because i find the deadlift to be an exercise that walks the fine line between injury and gains. Tough to say, i am going to work back up to my squats but may not deadlift for a while. Hack squats are better for my body as they keep my back better and put more emphasis on the legs anyway.(i just loved the forearm burn from deads). i'll make up for the diff with other exercises. I do weighted chins so that's probably good enough for the back.

Had to take a day off fromwork though.. that kind of sucks, i prefer to take my sick days whn i am actually "sick".