PDA

View Full Version : switching grappling to wing chun

rubthebuddha
01-08-2003, 11:25 PM
question for anyone who has studied a grappling art, such as judo, jujutsu, shaui chiao, etc. -- how has your previous art influenced your wing chun, what elements of your previous art do you see resurfacing on occasion, and what elements do you keep to help compliment your skills?

KenWingJitsu
01-09-2003, 07:29 AM
It's the opposite. Wing Chun heavily influenced my grappling. Then later, the knowledge of grappling helped make my ability to apply WT to prevent or counter grappling scenarios.

Tap Man
01-09-2003, 12:06 PM
I HAVE HAD THE SAME EXPERIENCES AS KenWingJitsu WITH WC AND BJJ.

Tap Man Out.

burnsypoo
01-09-2003, 01:00 PM
I used to wrestle quite a bit. Biggest things that have helped me from that are having a good understanding of my own balance to begin with, and also how to recognize and manipulate someone elses as well.

anerlich
01-09-2003, 02:19 PM
I started BJJ after about ten years of WC. I still practice both intensely.

Studying a grappling art opened my eyes to all the grappling applications of the WC forms. It also reinforced the value of structure, leverage, and technique over speed and brawn.

It also allowed me to view fighting from a wider perspective, and showed me that Wing Chun does not always have the best or only solution to fighting situations. But also showed me that the applications of WC can be far wider than those taught by many "pure" schools who treat it as a purely pugilistic art.

Plus the value of exploration and experimentation for oneself rather than just being spoonfed information and swallowing it uncritically.

And what KWJ and Tap Man said.