PDA

View Full Version : Names of CLF Branches?

San Soo Sifu
01-09-2003, 04:50 AM
First, please let me say that I ask the following question out of genuine curiosity; not to play politics of any kind.

I have heard that there are approximately five main different CLF branches in the world today.

Can anyone (or someone affiliated with a specific CLF branch speak on the behalf of your CLF branch) name the specific name of each CLF branch; the head person (grandmaster, organizational head instructor, etc.) that is currently living today (emphasis on the living part because I am not interested in any dead grandmasters); and any applicable URL links to the main organization's web site for each specific CLF branch?

I sincerely hope I have made sense? Sometimes, I have a habit of rambling on. I thank everyone that contributes to this thread, in advance. Thank you. :)

Sho
01-09-2003, 05:57 AM
Three main branches: King Mui, Fushan, Kong Chow

I'm part of the King Mui branch (Chan Family). You can check the official website of the Chan Family CLF at www.clfma.com.

San Soo Sifu
01-09-2003, 06:53 AM
You forgot to mention that Chen Yong Fa (Mandarin) -- Chan Wing Fa (Cantonese) is the living Grandmaster of this branch. :)

JAZA
01-09-2003, 08:47 AM
Sho forgot Buk Sing branch, I don't know if they have an official head masters.
The best site is www.buksing.com .

Sho
01-09-2003, 01:02 PM
I'm only promoting King Mui! :D (J/K)

The other founders are: Tarm Sarm of Bak Sing and Cheung Yim of Hung Sing.

extrajoseph
01-09-2003, 06:21 PM
Chan Heung had many students and disciples; out of them 3 lines of transmission seem to have survived the strongest. They were lines passed down by Chan Koon-Pak (Chan Heung's son) – Great Sage Hung Sing, Lung Gee-Choi – Heroic Victory Hung Sing and Jeong Yim – Grand Victory Hung Sing (also known as Futsan Hung Sing). Hence we have 3 names for Hung Sing CLF all pronounced the same but has different Chinese characters and meanings. The evolution of these names is rather complex for they changed and overlapped in time and needs pages to explain. Buck Sing CLF came a little later and it has influence mainly from the Jeong Yim and to a lesser extend the Koon-Pak line. Most schools in the west can trace their lineage to one or more of these 3 lines and Buck Sing. There is no one single person or organization representing the whole of CLF or any one of these 3 main lines of transmission.

CLFNole
01-09-2003, 08:10 PM
Extrajoseph:

I am curious to know if you know of any of the more well known students of Lung Gee Choy and in turn their students (3rd & 4th generation CLF) and or any sifu's that are around today connected to that lineage.

Peace.

extrajoseph
01-09-2003, 09:50 PM
Sifu Frank MaCarthy is the official historian of American Hung Sing and he know everything by "word of mouth" and first hand eye witnesses about the histyory of CLF so you should ask him first. My stuff is all written down with cross references in writings so they can not be as accurate as what Frank can tell you.

Take it away Frank, here is your chance to tell us what else you have heard from Lun Chee and other living elders of Hung Sing CLF. I heard from another elder by word of mouth that Jeong Yim taught Lun Gee-Choi how to play Chinese chess after he taught Chan Heung GGM Kung Fu in exchange for caligraphy lessons, is that true?

CLFNole
01-09-2003, 10:09 PM
Seriously

extrajoseph
01-10-2003, 12:30 AM
Seriously? Are you saying you can’t be serious with Frank? or with me? I thought you are a diplomatic guy.

So seriously:

Lung Chee-Choi was one of many of CLF’s unsung heroes. He was Chan Heung’s oldest disciple - loyal, hard working and did not seek fame. He helped Chan Heung trained many of his students and disciples but seldom called his own. Even after Chan Heung passed away, he kept an eye on his two sons and protected them from the more aggressive elements of the second generation until the two sons can stand on their own.

Like Jeong Yim, his surname was not Chan, yet he was able to receive the highest level of training from Chan Heung, including the Nei-Lim-Sou (Inside Curtain Hands) techniques.

Many of the well-known CLF master were taught by Lung but seldom mentioned his name. Leu Chan, Tarm Sam’s teacher, was a student of Lung before he continued his training with Jeong Yim, so was Yuan Hai, who taught Fong Yuk-Shu who also learned from Chan Koon-Pak.

Lee Yan was probably the best known of his students. Lee in turn taught Wong Siu-Hop and Wong Lek. Wong Lek taught Wong Chun and Wong Chun taught Tong Shek and Pun Fun before both switched to Chan Yiu-Chi. Tong Shek and Pun Fan have many students still active in Guangzhou, Hong Kong and Australia

Another famous disciple was Fung Wun-San (Feng Yun-Shan), who later became the Southern King of the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom.

Like most older generations of Chinese, Lung retired to his birthplace in Guangxi and continued to teach there in Xunzhou District until old age and death.

JosephX

San Soo Sifu
01-10-2003, 12:53 AM
First, please let me take the time to thank those of you who answered (or partially answered) my initial questions. Thank you very much for your time, understanding, and consideration! :)

I feel as though this thread might getting off from the original intent that I sought.

Even though CLF history is very interesting (to say the least); I am not looking for the names of past (dead) grandmasters.

I am hoping for the names of CLF branches, their current living grandmaster, and any applicable web site that the main organization may have?

For example: King Mui branch (Chan family); headed up by the *living* Grandmaster Chen Yong Fa (Mandarin) -- Chan Wing Fa (Cantonese); and the organization's main web site at http://www.clfma.com

So, I guess I will throw some names out there that I have heard over the years, and hopefully someone (or a representitive of each particular CLF branch) can enlighten me as to where each of the following people fit into the scheme of things?

Doc Fai Wong? Tat Mau Wong?

Vince Lacey? David Lacey? Shane Lacey?

Sam Ng? Phillip Ng?

Li Siu Hung?

Dennis "Dino" Salvatera?

I know that there are many more names of *living* CLF masters and/or grandmasters that I am not listing (especially those living in China); I am just listing those that I can remember off of the top of my head. No insult was (or is) intended by an omission of anyone's name.

Again, please let me reiterate; I am asking the above questions because I sincerely wish to learn; not to insult anyone, play politics, or start a flame war.

As always, thank you to those who contribute to this thread. :)

Edit: Spelling error

extrajoseph
01-10-2003, 01:14 AM
In that case, try Darryl's link page:

http://www.choyleefut.com.au/update/links.asp

San Soo Sifu
01-10-2003, 01:21 AM
Thank you for a most exhaustive links page. I am sure it will keep me busy surfing the Internet for quite a while! :)

However, I was hoping that some of the regular readers and posters here, could share their knowledge in a more direct manner? ;)

Again, thank you; and thank you to all those who decide to share their knowledge and/or experiences with their particular CLF branch. :)

CLFNole
01-10-2003, 08:48 AM
The thing is none of the branches really have a living "grandmaster". Grandmaster is a title thrown around in the US like business cards in chinese it really means nothing. Sigung is generally the term used and basically it refers to your students having students, a kung fu grandfather more or less.

Chan Yong Fa could be considered the "juerng mun" or keeper of the Chan Family branch, however all within that line may not completely agree to that. He himself doesn't refer to himself as the jeurng mun but rather his students do.

Therefore you will not see anyone really saying that this sifu or this sifu is the "grandmaster" of the branch because there is no grandmaster of any branch.

Peace.

San Soo Sifu
01-10-2003, 10:49 PM
Thank you to all, who contributed to this thread. Your time and effort are greatly appreciated! Again, thank you. :)

extrajoseph
01-11-2003, 07:45 PM
San Soo Sifu,

Hard to get use to a person with such a impeccably good manner as yourself. I write pages and pages of stuff on this forum and most of the time I get was personal attacks. I count myself lucky if I hear nothing from the members :D