PDA

View Full Version : 6 Syllable Sounds Chi Kung

fiercest tiger
01-09-2003, 09:58 PM
Has anyone heard of this? You perform a sequence of chi kung exercise and exhail with a sound.....maybe like a 5 element organ exercise?

cheers
Garry:)

Laughing Cow
01-09-2003, 10:00 PM
Yeah.

Done it for 3,5 yrs.

fiercest tiger
01-09-2003, 10:01 PM
What health benifits you get from it? where does it come from and what are the sounds?

regards
FT

Laughing Cow
01-09-2003, 10:07 PM
FT.

Not sure about the origin, or if it is exactly the same you are talking about.

We did it as part of our warmup/stretching routine,

Sounds are A, I, U, E, O, M we also used Ha, Hi, Hu, He, Ho, Mm, etc.
General health improvement, improved flexibility.

Each sound is combined with circulating the Qi/Breath from a different Body location.

I would need to look at the chart at home for Sound/location matches, been a long time since I did it.

I will have more info tomorrow for you.

fiercest tiger
01-09-2003, 10:08 PM
KOOL, thanks mate!

ft

Laughing Cow
01-09-2003, 10:15 PM
Forgot.

It is also great for improving breathing.

Try doing the sounding (short rapid haha Sound) during the forms and everytime your sound stops/falters it shows a flaw in the forms execution.

Firebird
01-10-2003, 04:54 AM
Hi,
I don't know if we talk about the same exercise,
i learnt it as 6 tone Chi Kung.
each for one organ
one for the liver ( element wood)
the heart ( fire ), lungs ( metal),
stomache ( earth ) and kidney ( water )
and at least one tone for the 3 dantiens (sorry, i don't know the english word).
You start with the tones with each exercise. Later at an advanced level , you only have to think at the tone .
The sounds are diffrent from the Hung Gar Sup Yin Kuen ( Ten Element form).

count
01-10-2003, 07:17 AM
Our bagua chikung set, which is several levels deep, uses sounds in a couple levels. Softer tones in the 3rd. gathering level which I'm told vibrate specific organs. More forceful tones in the 4th directing level which seem to be more muscle related. Of course there are 8 separate tones. One for each direction and one for the central palace. (It is bagua after all :rolleyes: ) In between there is a specific sound for releasing the breath. To be honest, I don't practice this level often. To make it through the levels of this chikung can take over an hour and a half and who has time. :( I'm happy if I can get through the first gathering level. So as far as health benefits I can only attest to some of the harder tones which creep into our regular martial practice too. Tones like "Hum", "Hah", "Hey", "Eya" have a conditioning effect on the involuntary muscles in the diaphragm. I find this useful and healthful.:) Try them yourself, you will see. :cool:

GLW
01-10-2003, 07:54 AM
Sounds like you are actually referring to the Six Healing Word method.

To understand what this does for health you have to understand a bit about Traditional Chinese Medicine.

There are organ systems in TCM. These are the Zhang organs and the Fu organs. Zhang are yin, Fu are Yang (Internal and External). They are paired together.

You have 12 main channels in the Jing Luo (Qi circulatory system). Each of the channels is either Yin or Yang. For example, the Heart, Lung, and Pericardium channels run from the chest down the inside of the arm. They connect at the finger tips to the large intestine, small intestine and San Jiao (Triple burner - body cavity) channels that go from the outside of the arm up to the head.

HAving said this....each of the six words energizes a particular organ. If a word energizes the heart (a Zhang organ), it also energizes the hearts associated Fu organ.

So doing all six words hits all of the organs.

Practice methods are funny. The classical way to do the words states that "The word you HEAR is not the best way" This means that you form the word with your mouth, you act like you are saying it and you DO say it mentally, but you do NOT say it out loud...or if you do that, not loudly.

Each word has a posture that accompanies it as well.

Now, the fun part is that there are 4 words that pretty much everyone agrees upon. There are 2 others that may differ from teacher to teacher.

Kung Fu Magazine - back before TC media bought it - ran an artice by Dr. Wu Chengde on this. It may be available in back issues.

Gene Ching would probably know if it is.

Repulsive Monkey
01-10-2003, 08:35 AM
I think what laughing Cow is speaking about isn't related to what Tiger is refering to. I think what he is refering to is the 6 taoist healing sounds ala: ssssssssss, fffuuueeehhh, sssssssshhhhh, hhhhaaaaaa, etc.
These all have a specific function to their attributted Zhangfu and have an expelling effect so as to clear and then tonify them. It is a very straight forward and easy to learn method to which it has quite a nice regenerative effect upon organs/Zhangfu and their function. I thoroughly recommend learning them.

David Jamieson
01-11-2003, 05:21 PM
I learned a thing called 6 healing breaths.

I guess they are all different depending on whereyou learned it from.

cheers

fiercest tiger
01-11-2003, 09:05 PM
It was said to started from a famous physician Tao Hung Jing during the fifth century.

The sounds are hsu, her, hoo, sss,chway, shee.

thanks everyone for ur help.

FT:)

prana
01-12-2003, 02:48 AM
now that the thread has concluded...

6 = Om Ma Ni Pad Me Hum :D

fiercest tiger
01-12-2003, 02:51 AM
Is that a tibetan buddhist mantra or something?

FT

prana
01-12-2003, 02:58 AM
mantra Buddha Avalokitashevra, I think most Chinese people know him as a figure together with the deity Tara, "GUAN YIN" or "Gun Yiam" in Cantonese :)

Its been used by Buddhists everywhere as a healing, cleansing blessing and more.

Incidentally, our MA grandmaster used to teach us another Buddhist mantra based more on the Western Pureland, "Namo Ami Tofo". Sung in one long breath, and in unison, over and over again for 3 days :) I think many of the people on this board might actually recall this short retreat :p

In the Tibetan Buddhist pantheon of enlightened beings, Chenrezig is renowned as the embodiment of the compassion of all the Buddhas, the Bodhisattva of Compassion.

Avalokiteshvara is the earthly manifestation of the self born, eternal Buddha, Amitabha. He guards this world in the interval between the historical Sakyamuni Buddha, and the next Buddha of the Future Maitreya.

According to legend, Chenrezig made a a vow that he would not rest until he had liberated all the beings in all the realms of suffering. After working diligently at this task for a very long time, he looked out and realized the immense number of miserable beings yet to be saved. Seeing this, he became despondent and his head split into thousands of pieces. Amitabha Buddha put the pieces back together as a body with very many arms and many heads, so that Chenrezig could work with myriad beings all at the same time. Sometimes Chenrezig is visualized with eleven heads, and a thousand arms fanned out around him.

Chenrezig may be the most popular of all Buddhist deities, except for Buddha himself -- he is beloved throughout the Buddhist world. He is known by different names in different lands: as Avalokiteshvara in the ancient Sanskrit language of India, as Kuan-yin in China, as Kannon in Japan.

As Chenrezig, he is considered the patron Bodhisattva of Tibet, and his meditation is practiced in all the great lineages of Tibetan Buddhism. The beloved king Songtsen Gampo was believed to be an emanation of Chenrezig, and some of the most respected meditation masters (lamas), like the Dalai Lamas and Karmapas, who are considered living Buddhas, are also believed to be emanations of Chenrezig.

Whenever we are compassionate, or feel love for anyone, or for an animal or some part of the natural world, we experience a taste of our own natural connection with Chenrezig. Although we may not be as consistently compassionate as some of the great meditation masters, Tibetan Buddhists believe that we all share, in our basic nature, unconditional compassion and wisdom that is no different from what we see in Chenrezig and in these lamas.

We might have trouble believing that we are no different than Chenrezig -- but learning about the nature of compassion, and learning about Chenrezig, repeating his mantra Om Mani Padme Hum and imagining that we would like to be like Chenrezig, pretending that we really are just like Chenrezig, we actually can become aware of increasing compassion in our lives, and ultimately, the lamas tell us, awaken as completely wise and compassionate buddhas.

OmiTofo = Amitabha :)

David Jamieson
01-12-2003, 08:33 AM
"om mani padme hum" is a mantra used by lamaistic buddhists. Not necessarily just tibetans, but also those practitioners in the surrounding areas such as Nepal.

It translates roughly as "blessed is the jewel in the lotus"

Stones are inscribed with the phrase and left in piles along roads to auspicious places such as the potala or churtens/stupas. When the stones are piled, pilgrims are to circumambulate (walk around) the stone piles while saying the mantra written on them. It is also inscribed on the prayer flags which you see all over Nepal and in some places of Tibet and many other places throughout the Himalayan range.

amithaba or omitofu = "blessed is the buddha" or "buddha be praised" is a cordial greeting used for many things such as hello and good bye and as a mantra.

The mantra usage is to repetitively chanted the phrase in order to achieve the bhodicitta mind.

roughly :D

cheers

David Jamieson
01-12-2003, 08:41 AM
FT-

a slight variation.

I learned the breaths combined with a seated gong exercise.

the breaths i learned are:

Shoooo (shoe)- Whaaaaa (wah)- Hoooo (hoe) - sssssss(like a snake) - Foooooo(like in foo fighters :) ) -sheeeeee

each breath is combined with it's own seated gong and is done once. Although you can repeat the entire sequence.

it serves as a great warm up, warm down and to bring a general balance or as a meditative practice.

cheers

fiercest tiger
01-19-2003, 03:17 PM
thanks for all your answers, i may try out this chi kung as a warm down in class time.

cheers
FT:)

cha kuen
01-20-2003, 01:42 AM
Are these sounds similar to Hung Gar's Iron Wire sounds?

Firebird
01-20-2003, 01:51 AM
See my comment on this forum at Qigong and Meditation Forum then at:
What kind of Qigong do You study ?

David Jamieson
01-20-2003, 08:17 PM
cha kuen-

in short, no. the tid sen sounds are different.

notably the tik, tik, tik (releasing chi/air in short bursts)

the Wah, sound is similar but harder in tid sen as is the Hah sound.

the wah inthe six breaths I learned is soft and sustained and long. whereas in the tid sen the wah is a burst with a downward fu jow strike.

the "hah" again in six breaths (hoe) is long and extended, whereas in tid sen it is more similar to the sound a tiger makes whe detecting scent. the throat is tightened a bit.

the ssss sound is pretty much same.

anyway, all in all there is different application from 6 breaths to tid sen kuen.

cheers