PDA

View Full Version : monkey king staff/lau gar staff length?

sing fu
09-03-2000, 01:07 PM
I've just posted this in the KFO general forum - doh! Bear with me, internet beginner here.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the length and thickness of the staff used for Hung Gar Monkey King/Lau Gar Staff training? More specifically, do most kwoons use an eight foot staff for these sets?

Thanks in advance!

illusionfist
09-03-2000, 01:17 PM
For the monkey staff you use a regular staff or an eyebrow height staff. I believe the most common is the eyebrow height staff. I guess most staves are eyebrow height to me, hehe /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

For the long pole i believe you are supposed to have a pole that is 2 1/2- 3 ft taller than you are. So for me since i am 6'1, i would be using about 8 1/2 ft long pole. Now don't take my word for it because i am really not sure on the matter cuz i don't know a long pole form yet.

Peace out /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

sing fu
09-03-2000, 01:22 PM
thanks illusionfist!!

Subitai
09-03-2000, 08:58 PM
Hi Sing Fu,

For Monkey King staff, most people i come across will use a length from out stretched arms middle finger to opposite hand middle finger. However since the set is based on the Mythical Monkey King, I believe you should try to master it at different lengths. Long and shorter. That was one of the MK's special magical skills. He had a Pole that he could make any length and size.

(Heh heh, no pun intended but that could be joked about)

As for the long pole, what Illusionfist said said is @ to what we do. If you lift your right arm completely straight up...the pole tip/top should be at least 1 ft above your middle finger. If not more.
(It's usually the longest finger, unless somebodies a freak)

In general the longer your use the weapon (correctly, w/ full power) the most skill level derived from practicing w/ it.

take care,
"O"

Paul Skrypichayko
09-03-2000, 10:45 PM
The more common name for the monkey staff is "chai mei kwun", which means "eyebrow level staff". It doesn't matter how tall or short you are, you should have a weapon that's comfortable to you (usually eyebrow height).

Lau Gar Pang is "pang", not "kwun". It's like a spear without the spearhead. Like all weapons, it can be any size or weight, just so long as it's comfortable for you. Most shorter southern Chinese will use one around 7 feet, maybe a little shorter.

Ng Long Bat Kwa Kwun is the real heavy duty staff. For the average Cantonese person, it's around 8 and a half feet long, 3-4 inches thick at the base, and 1-2 inches thick at the tip.

I'm 6'2", my kwun is 6 feet long, my pang is 6'4" (but I'd rather train with one around 7'2"), and when I start with the Ng Long Bat Kwa Kwun, it will probably be 9-10 feet long.

I think all of us will agree that you need to be comfortable with what you use, and that a longer, heavier, and stiffer staff will benefit your training more.

illusionfist
09-04-2000, 03:38 PM
Hey Paul, why is your pole for Lau Gar so short? Doesn't seem logical to be practicing a long pole form if you are only doing it with a pole 2 inches taller than you are.

Peace /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Paul Skrypichayko
09-05-2000, 03:16 AM
The pole I practice with isn't that short. It's still effective, and I could be comfortable using a 5 foot long pole as well. Nobody around me sells any decent "pang" type of staff, so I had to go and cut down a suitable tree. After spending lots of time looking, I found an 8 foot long staff that was very thick, 3 inches at the tip!

Also, the Lau Gar staff is a "pang" not specifically a long pole. The idea behind it is the shape, not the length. Of course, I prefer to use a longer, heavier, stiffer pang, but you have to use what is available.

Je Lei Sifu
09-08-2000, 11:43 AM
Well since it seems as though I am the shortest one here, allow me (please) to present my view.

I stand at about 5'5" (I am actually closer to 5'6" so don't mess with me, I'm dangerous) and when I do Hun Je Pang (monkey staff), I use a staff that is about 2-3 inches taller than me.

Ng Long Baht Gwa Kwun happens to be my favorite weapon the staff I use is about 6" longer than the tip of my middle finger when I extend my hand over my head. If I use a weapon any longer than that, I run into the problem of constantly hitting the ground.

Just my SHORT explanation.

peace

Je Lei Sifu http://216.219.234.88/forum/roundtable/cool.gif

Paul Skrypichayko
09-08-2000, 12:53 PM
Good point. It's nice to have big long weapons, but you have to watch out for hitting the ceilings and hitting the floor. I was planning on making a 78-84 inch kwan do, but it would be so impractical. I'd only be able to practice outside, and I'd still probably end up slicing the ground with some moves. Personal comfort is always the key.

Yeah, and watch out for those short guys, they're always the craziest.

HungFist
09-10-2000, 01:43 AM
What is the history of Hung Jeh Kwun (monkey king staff set) & Lau Gar Pang (Lau Family Staff). Are the staff form listed above considered basic staff forms of Hung Ga. Also what principles are taught when leaning each of these forms.

Je Lei Sifu
09-10-2000, 07:59 AM
HungFist:

I am of the Tang Fung branch of Hung GA. In our branch, we do not do the Lau Ga Staff set. However, Hun Jet Pang is a basic weapon set. In the movie 36 chamber(masterkiller), Lau Ga Fai (Gordon Liu) performs part of this set along with the other monk/students.

The only other staff form we practice, is the Yang Ga Ng Long Baht Gwa Kwun. I am not speaking for other schools under the Tang Fung Lineage. However, under my Sigung Ho Lap Tin, these are the only two staff sets performed.

Peace

Je Lei Sifu http://216.219.234.88/forum/roundtable/cool.gif