PDA

View Full Version : What kind of qigong do you study?

An jie
01-10-2003, 11:49 PM
I study Dayan Qigong.

Cheese Dog
01-13-2003, 02:11 AM
1. Embracing the tree chi gong
2. 5 element chi gong
3. Iron palm chi gong
4. Hatha yoga
5. Karate and kung fu forms. Sometimes I do these with dynamic tension for hard chi gong, other times soft.

Firebird
01-15-2003, 05:58 AM
I study:

6 sounds chi kung,
Ba Dua Jin,
Opening the channels ( don't know the chinese word),
Small circle ( don't know the chinese word),
and from the Dao Ahn Pai System:
small cloudhands and shen exercises.

by the way:
do You know that in dayan chi kung there are 64 exercises ( the firs part and the most known) and another 64 exercises which are not common.
some years ago there was an article in
Kungfu/Qigong magazine by Adam Wallace/Michel Tse.

TkdWarrior
01-15-2003, 07:25 AM
1. Zhan Zhuang
2. Yoga
3. Taichi ;)
-TkdWarrior-

Repulsive Monkey
01-15-2003, 08:44 AM
1. Taijiwuxigong
2. Dao Yin
3. Bear Classic
4. Standing postures
5. 6 Taoist healing sounds
6. Medical Qi-gong

An jie
01-15-2003, 10:58 AM
Indeed you are correct Firebird

These are referred to as the 1st and 2nd 64 and are 2 of 72 different forms and healing methods.
Tse Sifu is my teacher and my brother studies with Wallace Sihing in NYC ( small world)

Cheese Dog
01-15-2003, 11:00 PM
Hey Firebird and Gouhen; a question about sounds in chi gung. In the 5 elements form I do you have a sound for each element. Well technically two, yin and yang. The yin is vocalized softly and the yang forcefully.

The sounds are:

Metal: shi
Water: chu
Wood: shu
Fire: ki
Earth: hur

How does this relate to the sounds you guys use in your practice?

Laughing Cow
01-15-2003, 11:03 PM
1.) Zhang Zhuang
2.) 8 Brocade Silk
3.) Tai Chi

Firebird
01-16-2003, 01:25 AM
the five sounds of the element of the six sound chi kung i practice are not the same as in Hung Gar.
In the Hung Gar Tid Sin Kuen you have also the sounds for the 5 elements, but for each element/organ you have 3 different sounds for 3 different levels.

Cheese Dog
01-20-2003, 12:43 AM
Hey Firebird, when you say 3 different sounds for 3 levels, do you mean beginner, intermediate, and advanced or something else?

Firebird
01-20-2003, 01:24 AM
Yes, beginner, intermediate, advanced.
If you don't train carefully or mix it up, You will probably hurt your inner organs.
If You train Hung Gar, maybe You should heard about it; don't know how much You learnt already in Hung Gar style.

fiercest tiger
01-20-2003, 04:27 PM
for u guys practising it, do you do any of the sounds for the related season as in summmer, winter etc or do u just do them all everytime?

Cheers
FT

David Jamieson
01-20-2003, 08:19 PM
taoist, buddhist and natural.

cheers

woliveri
01-23-2003, 06:09 PM
Golden Dog Butt Dragging Qi Gong. Really works the internals and I can feel the Qi :D :D :D :D :D

dfedorko@mindspring.com
01-23-2003, 06:53 PM
With the exception of An jie, most of you practice more than one type of Qigong. Do you practice all the Qigong you know everyday? Do you have a different routine for each day? Or do you take specific exercises from each routine that you believe help you daily. Just curious.

Cheese Dog
01-23-2003, 11:23 PM
Firebird, Only been studying hung gar for a little less that two years and haven't really learned anything about sounds they use yet.

Dfe , I always start with the embracing the tree exercise for several minutes before going on to whatever qigong I'm doing. As for the rest I do 5-element qigong and internal iron palm on alternate nights, Hatha yoga 2-4 times a week, and katas and forms 4-6 times a week.

dfedorko@mindspring.com
01-24-2003, 05:02 AM
I do Qigong 18 (Yang style), Zhang Zhuan, Ba Duan Jin, One-Finger Zen, Dragon Gate, and Sun style Tai Chi Chuan. Qigong 18 I do every day and alternate the other routines. The Sun Form is great. Bottom line , it is walking Qigong and I do it everyday. For the Iron Palm, you mentioned that you do Internal Iron palm Qigong. Well, I am a practitioner and have been for some time and I was wondering if you could email me and explain what type of Qigong you do for the Iron Palm. If it is guarded I understand - no explanation necessary. Have a good day.

fiercest tiger
01-25-2003, 02:09 AM
I also do iron palm and will be the warriors way magazine coming out soon.

My still has 3 levels, 1st level is heavy hand, 2nd is vibrating and imprint palm, 3rd is cotton palm. All with chi kung and herbs and internal fighting form.

whats your IRON PALM LIKE DF?

FT

:)

dfedorko@mindspring.com
01-25-2003, 02:25 PM
I just break 2x8x16 blocks with my palm, back of the hand (not backfist), knife hand and fist. I do Qigong but nothing as specific as was mentioned for Iron Palm in an earlier reply.

David Jamieson
01-26-2003, 09:30 AM
I don't practice all gongs together.

my sifu did teach me a nei gong regimen which is several gongs one after the next. they target the entire body and in some of the gongs they really focus on minutia.

But for the other gongs, I generally practice them each for each.

cheers

Cheese Dog
01-27-2003, 02:09 AM
Dfe, sorry. Been out of town for a couple of days. As to the iron palm I do, there's no need for secrecy. I'm still at the beginning stages so you're probably much more knowledgable than I.

Anyway, this is my routine:

Stand in sanchin stance, hips tucked, back straight, head up, tongue on roof of mouth.
Breath in, bringing palms up to chest, breath out slowly while extending palms straight out. Visualize pushing a vast weight away from yourself and as your arms return, imagine the weight is pushing your arms back, but stay relaxed. (I see two huge blocks of stone)
Do this 36 times.
Bring your palms down to your dan tien and concentrate on your energy center for 8 breaths.
Then do the above exercise two more times, only pushing out to the sides with your palmstrikes the 2nd time, and straight overhead the 3rd time.

Then you would hit a makiwara, wall bag, etc. (I use a simple telephone book on my kitchen counter)
Palm, back of hand, knife edge, ridge, and fingertips are all trained 36 times each. With tongue on roof of mouth, breath in as your arm goes up and out as you strike. Start very light.

After training, massage the hands and apply jow or circulate your hands in very warm water to improve circulation and speed healing.

If you have any info or advice, I would appreciate it.

phantom
01-27-2003, 05:03 PM
I am just curious, do any of you do golden bell? If so, do you practice it on the same day that you practice your other chi kungs? Thanks in advance.

jun_erh
01-27-2003, 05:57 PM
dfe- c0uld y0u tell me a little ab0ut dragon gate chi kung? They have a vide0 0f it at the st0re I g0 t0 and was thinking 0f picking it up. It features Ge0ge Xu. 0ne 0f th0se "china's living legends" tapes...

I read s0mething ab0ut it's c0nnecti0n t0 tai chi via chan sen feng's 0riginal instruct0r 0r s0mething. Kinda s0rta a big claim there
http://users.erols.com/dantao/dragongate.html

dfedorko@mindspring.com
01-27-2003, 07:09 PM
jun_erh

Dragon gate Qigong, in my opinion, is an advanced form of Qigong. Before doing Dragon gate I had been practicing Qigong for, at least, five years. Dragon gate works the whole body internally as well as externally. The tape is by Dr. Gordon Xu and it is a good tape, in my opinion.

Cheese Dog

Thanks for the info that you shared. You might try this and see if you like it. Purchase a 3 foot high stool. When you do the routine you mention in this post use the stool where you would use a makiwara, phone book etc. Do everything you mention with the exception of the following with a towel and the stool;

1 - Apply Dit Da Jow - Place towel over seat of the stool;
2 - Strike the seat 50x with each hand part apply jow.
3 - Remove the towel, again strike the seat with each hand part 100x. WHEN YOU SLAP THE STOOL DO NOT TRY TO PUT YOUR HAND THRU THE SEAT. SLAP RELAXED AND CONTROLLED (EASY). STRIKE THE SEAT FROM, AT LEAST, FOREHEAD HIGH. perform the exercise in a horse stance. The height depends on you/your height in relation to the height of the stool. Your legs will get a workout. Keep me posted. When you put Dit Da Jow on you should not wash your hands in warm water (my opinion). You are wasting the Jow (my opinion).

Cheese Dog
01-27-2003, 11:38 PM
Dfe, many thanks for the information!:cool:

Oh, I meant you use jow OR the warm water method. One of my instructors instructors uses only massage and hot water after training iron hand and he is 60 and has no arthritis or joint problems thus far.