PDA

View Full Version : I'm new here...What art do you study?

Mr. Tapeworm
01-11-2003, 01:35 AM
I've been studying Kung Fu San Soo at Rusty Wallace's school in Sonora, CA for about a month. I enjoy it so much that I'm going to keep studying for the rest of my life, but I want to learn other styles eventually as well.

David
01-11-2003, 04:15 AM
Welcome to the big 'n' happy kungfu famileee :-)

I study a traditional southern short-hand praying mantis system in the UK and I feel just the same as you after 1 month and after 5 years.

Good training to ya!

-David

dezhen2001
01-11-2003, 05:19 AM
i train wing chun and qigong, and have done now for 2 years. before that i have trained other things for 13 years :)

welcome to kfm and i hope you enjoy these forums

dawood

Souljah
01-11-2003, 06:02 AM
whoa is this dejavu, sounds like the question I asked when I got here.

:D :D

I study REI kung fu (NO ITS NOT JAPANESE!!!!:rolleyes: ), a mixture of styles (internal and external). you dont really want me to go into it, trained for 2 years

hey dez finally get to see more of you face
:)

-greg

Tainan Mantis
01-11-2003, 06:08 AM
Welcome to the club.
I felt like you did 20 years ago.
I teach Northern Mantis in Taiwan.

Chang Style Novice
01-11-2003, 07:25 AM
I've just enrolled in a class on Issues in Art Since 1968. I start Tuesday. Personally, I do most of my work in oil on canvas and various media on paper, my favorites being charcoal, graphite, and sumi ink.

Also, Chang Tai Chi Chuan

Oso
01-11-2003, 07:35 AM
hung gar for 6 years, Northern PM for 11, and during that time
some long fist(3 years), ba gua, hsing yi, tai chi(3 years) and
arnis(5 years).

Matt

guohuen
01-11-2003, 09:07 AM
Welcome. Good to have you aboard. I feel much the same way after 32 yrs of Hasayfu Hung ga. Enjoy.

yenhoi
01-11-2003, 09:11 AM
Digital media, pewter and plastic figures, wing chun kung fu, jeet kune do.

:eek:

eulerfan
01-11-2003, 09:17 AM
I'm 'between arts' at the moment.

Sho
01-11-2003, 09:17 AM
Xin Hui Cailifoquan

dezhen2001
01-11-2003, 09:32 AM
cool sho i didnt know u did choy li fut... i always thought it was taijiquan or something :D

dawood

Royal Dragon
01-11-2003, 10:04 AM
Me,
Starting in 1989, I was at a generic martial arts school that taught a whole gambit of stuff, rather bady. Then in the early 90's, I did Shaolin Kung Fu at one of Master John Tsai's schools. When he went back to taiwwan, I was at Master Steven Abbate's school for a few months (about 9). After leaving there, I spent time sort of roaming around and working out priviately with people learning more Kung Fu. I did some Longfist, a tiny bit of Bagua and more Kung Fu with some descendants of Tsai's.

Around 1998 I was in the "Deep research" mode, and stumbed onto a Master in Baltimore, and began a long distance couraspondance course in Tai Tzu Chang Chuan. I fell in love with the style (Probably because it is rare), and I have been researching it ever since, from as many sources as I can. I now have 11 Northern forms documented and 4 Southern, 4 more from another branch that appears to originally have been northern, but moved south and picked up a strong southern flavor.

I do the Tai Chi system that goes with the Tai tzu of one family I am under as well. It looks like yang, mixed with the internal tai tzu set to me, but others dissagree with me.

Around the same time, I started sparring on a semi regular basis with a Kempo freind of mine who owned a buisness down the street from my work. We did that pretty hard for a few years till his buisnes grew so much he had no floorspace left in his shop to play.

I have also dabbled in some Shui Chiao more reacently in local parks with a small underground group near me.

I teach a Shaolin curriculem to kid's, and sometimes adults based on my varied expriances, as well as the Tai Chi at local park dists, elementary schools gyms and sometimes small athletic clubs.

Martial arts wise, I am best described as a "Mut", but I prefer "Traditional MMA" :D

Kinjit
01-11-2003, 10:14 AM
Imua Shantung Kuntao, an Indonesian/Chinese art. I also train in the ARMA (historical fencing) and dabble a little with Pekiti-Tirsia.

scotty1
01-11-2003, 10:53 AM
At the moment i just keep myself fit, as I am also between arts. I did couple years Karate as a teenager, and just over a year of KF more recently and 6 months kickboxing more recently than that.

I move around a lot. :)

But I'm moving to China the day after tomorrow, where I'm going to start studying Tai Chi Chuan, and this is what I intend to continue with on my return to England in about a year.

dezhen2001
01-11-2003, 10:58 AM
hey scotty - i thought u had already gone! At least u will be in china for chinese new year :)

good luck and all the best mate!

dawood

JusticeZero
01-11-2003, 11:31 AM
Capoeira Angola Palmares 2 yrs after Capoeira Regional Senzala for 3 years with about a year of uncomitted yang taiji mixed in with the regional.

HopGar
01-11-2003, 11:43 AM
Took Shaolin for 4 years. Then I stopped for a while. Took Hop Gar for 2 and a half years. Currently I'm in Israel in between arts and probably staying for a while. Probably will take up Krav Maga at some point.

Peace Y'all

scotty1
01-11-2003, 04:35 PM
David

Thanks. No, after loads of false alarms, delayed school openings etc. I finally have my case packed, my visa and my plane ticket in my sweaty palms.

Cool huh, I'm starting to get pretty excited now.

I can't wait until I can change my Location field. :)

dezhen2001
01-11-2003, 04:36 PM
keep in touch.

dawood

scotty1
01-11-2003, 04:40 PM
For sure man!

i should have free net access everyday at my school so i'll pop by and say hello whenever I can.

And if you're ever in China in the next year let me know!

I couldn't give up kfo now without spending a week in a locked room with some jizz mags and a bucket.

dezhen2001
01-11-2003, 04:46 PM
cool... dont think it will be anytime soon for sure - at least until nearer the winter. would like to visit sometime though :)

dawood

scotty1
01-11-2003, 05:06 PM
Would be cool to meet a fellow KFO member. in China especialy. We could do Qigong on a Taoist mountain or something.:D

dezhen2001
01-11-2003, 05:10 PM
or we could eat food then watch kung fu movies :D

dawood

scotty1
01-11-2003, 05:15 PM
Or that, yeah.

i should have a pretty huge collection of knock-off DVDs by the time i've been there, ooh, a week.

And did yu know that you can eat Chinese food like, anytime you want in China? Like, sweet.:)

dezhen2001
01-11-2003, 05:19 PM
yup, but be careful of getting ill from it for the first while if you are not used to it though :)

hmmm... maybe its useful to have a contact in china for vcd ;)

dawood

quiet man
01-11-2003, 05:19 PM
Wing Chun Kung Fu, since 1998. I'm a direct student of Sigung Wong Shun Leung's direct student :) . Good for me! :D

Kinjit
01-11-2003, 06:47 PM
Oh, I also study naturalistic art in the western tradition :D

Ben Gash
01-12-2003, 08:31 AM
Blues and rock guitar and creative prose. I'm also a fan of modern poetry and 19th century preraphaelite painters.
CLF, Hung Gar, Southern Shaolin, Yang taijiquan and Bajiquan.

Brad
01-12-2003, 08:44 AM
Wushu for 7 years. Mostly Taijiquan and Changquan. I've tried lots of otherthings on the side so I'm kind of a mut like RD :D

TkdWarrior
01-12-2003, 09:08 AM
TKD n taichi(routine forms Yang n Sun) from last 6.5+ yrs
some traditional Indian arts(Kushti, Marmaatti)
wat is Mut RD?
-TkdWarrior-

Royal Dragon
01-12-2003, 10:28 AM
A "Mut" Is a dog that has a very mixed ancestory, You know, the puppy is part Lab, part Doberman, part Sheapard, Part Asthma Hound Chawaowa, part Pit Bull, and part Rotweiler.

If you replace all the dog names, with Kung Fu, that is what I am................A Martial Mut. :D

Stranger
01-12-2003, 11:24 AM
mutt ;)

dezhen2001
01-12-2003, 11:42 AM
:D

azwingchun
01-12-2003, 11:56 AM
I teach Wing Chun (though, always a student). ;)

HuangKaiVun
01-12-2003, 01:09 PM
If you ever get the chance, azwingchun and anybody else in the Western US, come by "Huang's Kung Fu Academy" on Warner and Dobson roads in Chandler.

I teach and practice the lessons of life via combat preparation.

SevenStar
01-12-2003, 01:35 PM
seems like we have this same thread start every couple of months.... I haven't posted in one in a while though, so here goes

I started in chun kuk do when I was 6 (that's chuck norris' system - basically tang soo do) I trained in it for about three years, then began playing with friends who trained in other styles. When I was 14, I trained TKD for a short period. At 17, I began training in karate under a guy (and now close friend of mine) who was from Japan. We formed a martial arts club at my uni, where he taught karate two days a week, and on the third we had a judo brown belt and a few bjj guys to teach grappling.

sometime in 96 I started training muay thai, which I trained in until 98, when 1.) classes were interfering with my school schedule and 2.) the school closed. that same year I started longfist, and trained in it for 4 years. Currently, I train judo, bjj and shuai chiao.

So, I guess I'm a "mut" too

azwingchun
01-12-2003, 02:35 PM
I think I know where you are at, you are by C-Fu Gourmet resturaunt (I think that is the name), correct? I was driving through there a couple of weeks ago and saw the school.

Maybe I will stop by sometime, I live just down the road from you. What hours are you around?;)

TaoBoy
01-12-2003, 06:36 PM
Currently:

Hok Se Tong Long Kung Fu (Southern Mantis system) and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

Previously:

Judo, Karate and a fake Shaolin kung fu system

Welcome to the big happy (and completely insane) KFO family.

jmd161
01-12-2003, 07:31 PM
My current style is Hak Fu Moon (Black Tiger)

I've studied
Nisei Go ju ryu (karate)
Bak Sil Lum (N.Shaolin)
Cheung Kune Pai (Longfist)

Some Hung Gar,Choy Lay Fut,Tai Chi,Chi Gung,and Wu Shu

jmd:)

SaMantis
01-12-2003, 08:36 PM
Wah Lum Tam Tui Northern Praying Mantis. (whew) I started at the Orlando school, did Yang style tai chi there for a couple of years and then took the plunge into external KF.

This summer I moved to Boston and now go to Boston Wah Lum.

Oh, and about a year of judo in college. And it led to all this kung fu business. :D

Nevermind
01-13-2003, 11:05 AM
I spent one year(1991-1992) at one of Master Tsai's schools studying Shaolin Kung Fu. Trained under Master Andrew Lee, one of Master Tsai's top students. Spent another year training part time with Sifu Kevin Miller, one of Master Andrew Lee's students. I then laid off of martial arts until 1999 when I started ITF Tae Kwon Do in Milwaukee. I spent almost 3 yrs in TKD before switching back to Kung Fu. For the past year now, I have been studying Hung Gar. I hope to spend the rest of my years studying this style.

-Royal Dragon, which of Master Tsai's schools were you at? I was at the one on 16th and Belmont. When did he move back to Taiwan and why?

Cheese Dog
01-14-2003, 12:13 AM
A "traditional mixed martial artist". I like that! Never thought of it that way but it fits.

Anyway Mr. Tapeworm I started in the martial arts in 1986 in the ATA (American Teakwondo Association) and studied that for about two years. I was only a few months away from testing for black belt (yes, I know only 2 or 2 1/2 years to a black belt is ridiculous) when I became disillusioned with this and studied boxing and kickboxing for about 1 1/2 years. After this I dropped out of martial art classes for awhile although I still practiced 1 or 2 times a week, than I took up Shotokan karate, mostly for the disiplined workout, for about a year. Went from that right into WTF teakwondo for about a year, mostly because the instructor also taught classes on judo and hapkido and I had become aware of my lack of grappling skills. Unfortunately I had to stop these for lack of money.

After about 2 years I started in Ryukyu Kempo (traditional Okinawan Kempo) and will stick with this for the rest of my life. I was also able to train with a BJJ instructor who taught at the school, too bad he had a disagreement with the school owner and left after about 8 months. In the last 2 years I have been able to study Hung Gar kung fu and Hsing-I and really love it. I have been in Ryukyu Kempo for about 8 years and will test for my second degree black in a couple of months. Wish me luck!

SevenStar
01-14-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Nevermind
I spent one year(1991-1992) at one of Master Tsai's schools studying Shaolin Kung Fu. Trained under Master Andrew Lee, one of Master Tsai's top students. Spent another year training part time with Sifu Kevin Miller, one of Master Andrew Lee's students. I then laid off of martial arts until 1999 when I started ITF Tae Kwon Do in Milwaukee. I spent almost 3 yrs in TKD before switching back to Kung Fu. For the past year now, I have been studying Hung Gar. I hope to spend the rest of my years studying this style.

-Royal Dragon, which of Master Tsai's schools were you at? I was at the one on 16th and Belmont. When did he move back to Taiwan and why?

I used to train with sifu Miller. We may know eachother. PM me. I think RD trained with Dino.

Nevermind
01-15-2003, 08:12 AM
Hey, Sevenstar. Check your pm.

Sho
01-15-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by dezhen2001
cool sho i didnt know u did choy li fut... i always thought it was taijiquan or something :DHehe. Then I guess you never took a single glance at my avatar, or maybe it's too small to be recognized as *cough*the founder of CLF*cough*. ;)

dezhen2001
01-15-2003, 09:43 AM
i dont do clf so dunno about the history, but now i can make out the chinese - i never looked in detail before :D

its all good man :)

dawood

An jie
01-15-2003, 10:46 AM
I study Wing Chun Kuen and Dayan Qigong and will for the rest of my life
Enjoy your studies y'all

dezhen2001
01-15-2003, 11:54 AM
Good man! but u stiull got a long way to go to reach my post count ;)

dawood

NorthernMantis
01-15-2003, 05:47 PM
Like SaMantis I study wah lum tam tui tong long pai/hua lin tan tui tang lang mun (cantonese and in mandarin cuz it makes me feel special:D ). Well it's basically a mantis and tam tui hybrid but I just love it.

Including the style I just posted I aslo study two versions of the Yang family style. One is Yang Lu Chan's and the other is Yang Chen Fu's.

There have been other styles I came accross but never really learned them just traded hands sort of speak to get a feel out of them.

Serpent
01-15-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by HuangKaiVun
If you ever get the chance, azwingchun and anybody else in the Western US, come by "Huang's Kung Fu Academy" on Warner and Dobson roads in Chandler.

I teach and practice the lessons of life via combat preparation.

Oh, Huang, you crack me up!

Viper555
01-15-2003, 08:08 PM
I did karate for two years(point sparring mostly which I don't like)and have been taking Shaolin Kung Fu for about 5 months(maybe more).

iron thread
01-15-2003, 11:59 PM
Tae Kwon Do, Wing Chun, Yang taiji, Xingyi, Pakua, Chen taiji, Hung Kuen, Aikibudo

Main: Chen taijiquan, Wing Chun, Hung Kuen

I started training when I was 11, and I am 15 now. 4 years wasted from not training hard enough, but I'm going to start my 16th with bitter pills of hard conditioning and training. I started with taekwondo and went on to Wing Chun and Aikibudo. Then I tried xingyi, pakua, yang taiji, chen taiji, and hung kuen and switched back and forth in between styles--along the way keeping my aikibudo training.

I got interested from shaolin movies, and when I took the first class my passion grew. Much like the feeling you have right now, I also felt I wanted to practice martial arts all my life. You are a step ahead of me, however, because my mind can't commit to a particular style yet. I consider Chen taiji, Wing Chun, Hung Kuen my main styles because: Chen taiji, the use of chi and whole body generated power, health benefits--the healthier i amthe easier it is to be more fit--and explosive moves; Wing Chun, gap bridging, to the point, my ability to apply wing chun--out of my main styles, the only one I can apply right now--, sil lum tao; Hung Kuen, physical training--big factor as it is important to me right now, tiger and crane and iron thread--what i'm interested in, but haven't yet learned.

SevenStar
01-16-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Viper555
I did karate for two years(point sparring mostly which I don't like)and have been taking Shaolin Kung Fu for about 5 months(maybe more).

How do you like it so far?

cogg
01-16-2003, 06:10 AM
Woo hoo my turn....

Hoo Her Suan Sin (tiger-crane combined art)
Zhonghua Tong Lin Qigong,
Shuang Yang White Crane Rou Ruan Chien (Frost and sun White Crane soft and gentle art).
and a bit of Lohan.

dezhen2001
01-16-2003, 06:16 AM
cogg: u train nam yang cool :)

dawood

cogg
01-16-2003, 06:47 AM
Dezhen: yeh man been training there for two years now, weve kind of joined up with another association in singapore (Siaw lim hood sun thong) and have been learning some Lohan from masters son, but Tiger-crane's still my love.

In a previous post you said you live in the Midlands i think? where? do you learn your qigong from Michael Tse?

peace bro

Braden
01-16-2003, 06:49 AM
I'm liking alot of surrealist art lately. For instance,

I See Again in Memory My Dear Udnie by Francis Picabia
http://www.usc.edu/schools/annenberg/asc/projects/comm544/library/images/691bg.jpg

Growth by Jean Arp
http://www.usc.edu/schools/annenberg/asc/projects/comm544/library/images/321bg.jpg

Nude Descending a Staircase, No. 2 by Marcel Duchamp
http://www.usc.edu/schools/annenberg/asc/projects/comm544/library/images/271bg.jpg

The Disquieting Muses by Giorgio de Chirico
http://www.usc.edu/schools/annenberg/asc/projects/comm544/library/images/700bg.jpg

The Archeologists by Giorgio again... he's quite good
http://tigtail.org/L_View/TVM/B/European/a.%20pre%20WW%20I/chirico-de/M/chirico-de_archaelogists.1927.jpg

Europe After the Rain by Max Ernst
http://www.usc.edu/schools/annenberg/asc/projects/comm544/library/images/748bg.jpg

The Eye of Silence by Max again... he's another of my favorites
http://www.epdlp.com/fotos/ernst4.jpg

Abstraction by Andre Masson
http://www.si.umich.edu/Art_History/UMMA/1964/1964_2.50.jpg

Sleeping Venus by Paul Delvaux
http://tigtail.org/L_View/TVM/B/European/b.%20between%20wars/delvaux/M/delvaux_sleeping_venus.1944.jpg

... oh, and I train in baguazhang when I can.

dezhen2001
01-16-2003, 07:40 AM
cogg: yeh i train my qigong and wing chun actually up in manchester with my sifu (who is michael tses student). sometimes also london as well as im kinda central hehe

im in wolves right now, finishing uni.

dawood

Ming Yue
01-16-2003, 07:59 AM
5 years TKD and some Hapkido, 4 months Northern Long Fist & some 5 animal Sil Lum. Wish I had started in Kung Fu years ago, I find it a clearly superior system - so much more complete. I studied TKD at a traditional dojang, and I learned a lot, but still, I had no idea what I was missing. :)

Also I'm a digital artist -- 3D stuff. My gallery site is below, have a peek sometime and tell me what you think.

-Cynth

cogg
01-16-2003, 09:25 AM
Dezhan: no way m8 i moved from wolves about 2 months ago, livin in kidderminster now about 10 miles away, lived in wolves most of my life until now. i know a few people at wolves uni, no doubt somebody i know knows somebody you know or somethin like that. keep up the wingchun m8

joedoe
01-16-2003, 09:15 PM
LOL @ Braden

I have studied Ngor Chor - 5 Ancestors Fist - for 15 years now. No other arts trained :(

dezhen2001
01-16-2003, 09:18 PM
cool cogg, its all good man :) if u wanna meet up sometime and go to chinatown or something for food let me know :)

joe: i respect that a lot buddy.

dawood

joedoe
01-16-2003, 09:30 PM
Thanks Dez.

You know, I came to the realisation though that after 15 years I should be a helluva lot better than I am. Guess it would help if I trained hard. :)

dezhen2001
01-16-2003, 09:32 PM
everyone understands differently and just is who they are... no biggie mate. just be who you are, respect your sifu and do your best thats all their is too it imo :)

dawood

Serpent
01-16-2003, 09:38 PM
You're right dawood, but Joe's a lazy b@stard. That's what he's trying to tell you. ;)

dezhen2001
01-16-2003, 09:39 PM
You're right dawood, but Joe's a lazy b@stard. That's what he's trying to tell you.

takes one to know one! :D

dawood

Serpent
01-16-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by dezhen2001
You're right dawood, but Joe's a lazy b@stard. That's what he's trying to tell you.

takes one to know one! :D

dawood

Hey! That's slander!

SevenStar
01-16-2003, 09:55 PM
lol, truth hurts, eh?

Serpent
01-16-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar
lol, truth hurts, eh?

No, I do actually train bloody hard. But, for this case in point, I think anybody could train harder than JoeDoe! ;)

David Jamieson
01-16-2003, 10:08 PM
Braden-

Those were great! :) The Max Ernst pieces especially.

cheers

Viper555
01-16-2003, 10:08 PM
SevenStar:So far i'm loving it. It's a whole lot better than karate(at least the style I took). What a suprise it was to actually SPAR. In karate they wouldn't allow you to hit below the waist so it caught me off guard when i got that first sidekick to the hip(felt that one the next day). I also like the way they actually spar with what they teach you. In my karate class he taught moves that he called "street defense" but we couldn't use it when we sparred which I thought was really stupid and kinda pointless.All around I think that it is 110% better than karate ever was.

Cheese Dog
01-16-2003, 10:20 PM
Viper555, I know where your're coming from. I took two years of tae kwon do but had to study boxing and kickboxing to learn how to defend myself. Just like your experience, all of our sparring was "point sparring", nothing below the belt, and no hand techniques to the head allowed!

SevenStar
01-16-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Viper555
SevenStar:So far i'm loving it. It's a whole lot better than karate(at least the style I took). What a suprise it was to actually SPAR. In karate they wouldn't allow you to hit below the waist so it caught me off guard when i got that first sidekick to the hip(felt that one the next day). I also like the way they actually spar with what they teach you. In my karate class he taught moves that he called "street defense" but we couldn't use it when we sparred which I thought was really stupid and kinda pointless.All around I think that it is 110% better than karate ever was.

Glad to hear it! keep it up.

Serpent
01-16-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Cheese Dog
all of our sparring was "point sparring", nothing below the belt, and no hand techniques to the head allowed!

Isn't that just ridiculous! :rolleyes:

:D

SevenStar
01-16-2003, 10:28 PM
there's little value punching to the head. the legs are much more powerful. ALL shots to the head should be kicks.

Serpent
01-16-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar
there's little value punching to the head. the legs are much more powerful. ALL shots to the head should be kicks.

And all shots below the belt should be punches. We should all fight standing on our heads!

SevenStar
01-16-2003, 10:36 PM
agreed. And with our hands that close to our opponent's legs, takedowns will be much easier!

Serpent
01-16-2003, 10:46 PM
Not to mention groin grabs.

Serpent
01-16-2003, 10:46 PM
Mind you, eye gouges with the toes would be rather tricky.

yu shan
01-16-2003, 11:01 PM
I question your Martial philosophy! You type good though...

Oso
01-17-2003, 06:25 AM
wouldn't it depend on the practitioner and the art?

and are you talking about w/ gloves or w/o gloves?

cause w/o gloves I'd bet on a palm heel shot over anything
else. And you are more likely to be in better defensive position
wit yo feetses on the ground.
and w/o gloves it's really dumb to strike the skull itself w/ a fist
unless you ar Pan Qing Fu and train on a slab o' steel

having said that, I like a heel hook to behind the ear

and, I have perfected toe gouges to the eyes...I could even pick
your nose wit my toes if I so chose:D

HuangKaiVun
01-17-2003, 08:08 PM
Serpent trains "bloody hard"??

What a pathetic joke.

Chang Style Novice
01-17-2003, 08:19 PM
Braden -

Arp and Dechirico, excellent!

Ever get into more recent stuff? My current series of things is highly influenced by Alfred Jensen and Piet Mondrian on the one hand and Cy Twombly, Pat Stier and Franz Kline on the other. I'm trying to reconcile the messy and gestural with the meticulous and organized. Ain't nothing but the Tao in me!

Atomic Ta-a-ao-wow-ow!

(okay, fine, those guys are still not all that recent)

Mr Punch
01-17-2003, 08:36 PM
Wing chun.

As soon as I can hack a gap into my schedule want to get back to aiki and kendo, and to start at my friend's MMA gym (mainly muay thai, bjj, and boxing).

Most of my wing chun and all of my aiki and kendo is kata - every day: I only get to practise with others two or three times a week :( and I'm really sick of wasting my time in Japan without hitting any good training!

If we are all training on our heads, takedowns wouldn't be any easier than if we are all training on our feet...? And headbutts would be really really impressive!!!

SevenStar
01-17-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Serpent
Mind you, eye gouges with the toes would be rather tricky.

That's why you let your toenails grow!

SevenStar
01-17-2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Oso
wouldn't it depend on the practitioner and the art?

and are you talking about w/ gloves or w/o gloves?

cause w/o gloves I'd bet on a palm heel shot over anything
else. And you are more likely to be in better defensive position
wit yo feetses on the ground.
and w/o gloves it's really dumb to strike the skull itself w/ a fist
unless you ar Pan Qing Fu and train on a slab o' steel

I was just kidding bud. However, I'd prefer a knee to the head over a palm. I've never palmed anyone in the head and laid them out, but I have kneed someone in the head and laid them out. I've knocked someone out with punches, but it took a while. One well placed knee and it was over.

Shaolin Dude
01-17-2003, 11:38 PM
Hi, I study long fist for 8 months now

Oso
01-18-2003, 06:58 AM
sevenstar, oh, you know I keep doing that...answering people
who are joking. I guess I'll figure out everyone's personality
a bit better after a while....

and, yep, a knee to the head would suck...but I've got a couple
of forms that have some really nice apps for palm strikes
that are pretty strong...backed up by the bones and a fair
amount of jing...and they fit me pretty well...

SevenStar
01-18-2003, 07:56 AM
a japanese friend of mine had such a palm - dunno what for it came from. the palm was in conjunction with a circulartype step. If I remember right, he called it the water flow palm. He got alot of power into that strike.

Chang Style Novice
01-18-2003, 08:10 AM
Jebus, Sevenstar, that is the ugliest avatar I've ever seen (and I'm wearing a lamprey's mouth!). What is it, a scorpion sipping from a puddle of vomit?

Point me to the original image and I'll see if I can make one where it's
a - not hideous and
b - you can tell what it is.

guohuen
01-18-2003, 09:12 AM
Oh Man, did you have to use that avatar? I loath lampreys. They're killing the salmon fishing on lake champlain.

FatherDog
01-19-2003, 03:15 AM
I've studied Wing Chun, JKD, Muay Thai, shootfighting, and I currently train in Catch Wrestling.

I suppose you could call me a mutt, but I consider myself a catch wrestler... if you watched me spar, I doubt you could pick out much other than isolated bits and pieces of WC and MT; I'm primarily a catch wrestler.

Props to CSN for the Tao of Parliament :D

SevenStar
01-19-2003, 08:36 AM
I love the buckyball - wrote a paper on it in Advanced placement biology back in high school.

SevenStar
01-19-2003, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
Jebus, Sevenstar, that is the ugliest avatar I've ever seen (and I'm wearing a lamprey's mouth!). What is it, a scorpion sipping from a puddle of vomit?

Point me to the original image and I'll see if I can make one where it's
a - not hideous and
b - you can tell what it is.

I just shrank an image quick and dirty to mess with xeb. I just left it up there. I would appreciate you changing the sife though. you can find it here: http://martial.best.vwh.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=19086&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

Chang Style Novice
01-19-2003, 09:06 AM
Sevenstar -

Yeah man! Fullerenes rule!

Also, what do you mean by 'sife'?

I can see now that the original is some kind of pencil-sketch of a dragon showing off his biceps while breathing fire at domo-kun. How much of that detail do you want to retain? Because that's a LOT of detail for 50x50 pixels.

Having looked at the original, I think "not hideous" is beyond my ability. And probably beside the point.

Ming Yue
01-19-2003, 12:34 PM
oh....

I thought it was Snuffalupagus having relations with a brine shrimp.