PDA

View Full Version : OT: ZoneAlarm question

SaMantis
01-11-2003, 08:45 AM
From a previous thread I know some of you folks have ZoneAlarm installed on your systems ... I'm having a bit of a problem with it:

My boyfriend and i networked our PCs so we'd both have DSL access (which routes through his machine). We both installed ZoneAlarm free versions for firewall protection, and away we went.

Now, he's got no access problems, but I'll be surfing along and suddenly my ZoneAlarm blocks traffic to and from his IP address -- which cuts off my internet access. The only solution so far is to turn off ZoneAlarm when this happens, which pretty much defeats the whole purpose of the program.

It's a configuration issue, but neither of us had found a solution. Any ideas, anyone?

Laughing Cow
01-11-2003, 03:00 PM
SaMantis.

Haven't used the free Version in a loong time.

Did you check under the "advanced" settings, I think there you can specify trusted IP-Adresses and similar.

I had the same prob methinks.

Hope this helps.

Laughing Cow
01-11-2003, 03:28 PM
If that doesn't do the trick than let me know how your Zone-alarms are configured.

Protection: low, medium or high for BOTH Net and LAN access.

The 2 machines should have the same levels set.

Also if you are on a Lan router, does it do IP-Address mapping and assigning and similar stuff.

There is a chance that the router assigns addresses randomly (prefered) and thus if one adress changes things go awry.

Sorry, for asking difficult questions.

prana
01-12-2003, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by SaMantis
From a previous thread I know some of you folks have ZoneAlarm installed on your systems ... I'm having a bit of a problem with it:

My boyfriend and i networked our PCs so we'd both have DSL access (which routes through his machine). We both installed ZoneAlarm free versions for firewall protection, and away we went.

Now, he's got no access problems, but I'll be surfing along and suddenly my ZoneAlarm blocks traffic to and from his IP address -- which cuts off my internet access. The only solution so far is to turn off ZoneAlarm when this happens, which pretty much defeats the whole purpose of the program.

It's a configuration issue, but neither of us had found a solution. Any ideas, anyone?

neither have I used ZA for at least 3 years, but you need to "trust" his IP ADDRESS in order for you to surf the net.

I remmeber vaguely as LC pointed out, you can setup to trust his IP address somewhat.... hmmmm

Royal Dragon
01-12-2003, 02:13 PM
I just want to know if there is a way to run the free version forever. Mine is just a 30 day trial.

Laughing Cow
01-12-2003, 03:19 PM
RD.

I am asking you again, which version did you download they got 3 there.

1.) Zonealarm Pro (Buy/30 Day trial)
2.) Zonealarm Plus (Buy/30 Day trial)
3.) Zonealarm (Free)

Version diff. (http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/zap_za_grid_results.jsp?radiobutton1=personal&radiobutton2=desktop&checkbox1=yes&checkbox2=yes&checkbox3=yes&checkbox4=yes&checkbox5=yes&checkbox6=yes&checkbox7=yes&checkbox8=yes&image.x=85&image.y=8&image=Submit)

Number 3 is the free Verison and shouldn't expire after 30 days.

If it does than they changed their policy.

I got a feeling you went click-happy & didn't read so that you downloaded the first one that came up (i.e. Zonealarm Pro).

Here is the link for the free Version:

Zonealarm (http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp)

mtod1
01-12-2003, 04:14 PM
Hi, how u doing.

Just a quick question. If your guy is running a firewall on his computer and its doing what it needs to, why do you also need a firewall on your own computer? Overkill? Just a thought.

By the way, there's a product called 'Blackice' that i now use. I used to use zonealarm but didn't find it very good. Also there's a program called imesh 'www.imesh.com' that's very good for file sharing if your looking to download progz and music etc.

Seeya

Laughing Cow
01-12-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by mtod1
Hi, how u doing.

Just a quick question. If your guy is running a firewall on his computer and its doing what it needs to, why do you also need a firewall on your own computer? Overkill? Just a thought.

There are 2 ways to run a Firewall:
1.) On the Server/Modem, this way all the Computers attached to the Server/Modem are protected. (Hardware or Software)
2.) On each machine that has access to the Net.

In case 1 you most likely got a larger number of computers, with one dedicated as a Lan Server and frontend to the world for the Lan.

Case 2 is good for smaller Lans like a Home-Lan with about 2~3 Computers.

Each Computer has an IP-Adress by which it is known on the Net and the hackers and other nasty stuff will usualy attack a range of IP-Adresses like normally found on a Lan, thus you need to protect either the WHOLE Lan or each machine on it.

Running a small Firewall on a portable PC is a good idea as you can move it and still be protected. regardless of which Lan or ISP you connect to.

The same applies for AV-Software and similar too.

My Home-Lan covers both (1 desk-top & 3 Laptops) as the router also provides some basic Firewall functions, combine that with Zonealarm PRO and I have found no reasons to complain..

SaMantis
01-12-2003, 08:23 PM
Good responses, thanks everyone. :)

I looked for the "trust" options on the control panel and while I can put it on that setting, I can't specify any IP addresses to trust. Apparently that's not part of the freeware. I only get to pick "high" "medium" or "low". If I want more detailed control I'll have to cough up a few bucks for the Pro version. :(