PDA

View Full Version : Bucksam Kong's hung gar vs. Frank Yee's hung Gar

phantom
09-07-2000, 01:45 AM
I have read that Bucksam Kong's Hung Gar is the style most commonly practiced today. Frank Yee's hung Gar is closer to what wong Fei hung did, but as far as i know, only people in Frank Yee's lineage know this version of Hung Gar. Are there any other lineages that know it and teach it?

Paul Skrypichayko
09-07-2000, 04:15 AM
Tang Fung's students and grandstudents should be able to answer for themselves, but I can provide a different perspective too.

My sifu learned from Chan Hon Chung, and the hung gar that he teaches me is very different from what I've seen from the American sifus.

By saying that person X's style is closer to Wong Fei Hung's, how do you measure this? Is it by curriculum, amount of skill, etc...?

09-07-2000, 06:55 AM
I am sure Yee sifu's disciples and grandstudents can answer your question, but I would like to say a few things. Kong's HG descend from Lam Sai Wing while Yee's HG came from Tang Fung. The historical tradition which stated that Tang Fung publicly mentioned he will not change nor modify the things he learned from WFH making people believe that Tang Fung's version is closest to what WFH taught.
In addition, the methodology of training in Yee's HG is slightly different than Lam Sai Wing;s version. Take for example the stance training, if I am not mistaken, Yee version begins with Yee Jee Kim Yeung Ma progressing to sei ping ma and ends with Yee Jee Kim Yeung Ma again. For LSW, its training goes straight to sei ping ma.
Lastly, the amount of sets in these two lineages are different, though the core forms exists in both lineages.
Whatever it is, both lineages had and still produce good practitioners and fighters.

illusionfist
09-07-2000, 07:20 AM
When you look at it in the grandscheme of things, there are only minor variations between the lineages. The most vital aspects are there for both lineages and that's what counts.

As for Tang Fung having the closest teachings as taught by Wong Fei Hung, there are plenty of people that will argue against that, even within the same lineage.

Peace /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

P.S. for Paul- the reason why the stuff that you learn is different from the stuff here in America is cuz yours is FAKE ya **** cannuck!!!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif J/K

Paul Skrypichayko
09-07-2000, 07:37 AM
hehehe, u mean those tapes you were selling me of yourself are bogus?

just kidding =P

By the way, good to see you're working as an admin/quality control monitor on here.

illusionfist
09-07-2000, 09:48 AM
shhhhhhhh, always telling secrets you conniving cannuck /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Peace http://216.219.234.88/forum/roundtable/tongue.gif

DF
09-07-2000, 11:41 PM
This is to clarify Yee's HUng Ga position in this matter before any unnecessary misunderstanding might arise.

We never claimed or will claim that we are the only linerage that practice the original WFH Hung Gar as phantom as stated.

We practice as it was passed down by our sifu and sigung,etc.
Is it the closest to the WFH HUng ga is irrelevant. All we know is, it works for us and we enjoy what we do.
As far as who is closer to WFH, who knows .
It is a claim that we will never make.

phantom
09-08-2000, 01:47 AM
I am sorry to have annoyed you, DF. I just remebered reading that somewhere. It is not something I just made up. Peace.

DF
09-08-2000, 03:24 AM
Hi phantom,

no friend, you did not annoy me. It is just that I want to set the record straight so that there will be no misunderstanding .

peace

Je Lei Sifu
09-08-2000, 11:29 AM
Yee Sifu is one of the great Hung Ga master of the Tang Fung lineage. Yee Sifu and his students are true carriers of Tang Fung's teachings. However, there are other branches within the U.S. that also extend from Tang Fung.

My Sigung was one of Tang Fung students, his name was Ho Lap Tin. We are located in Philly, PA's Chinatown.

Peace.

Je Lei Sifu http://216.219.234.88/forum/roundtable/cool.gif

WongFeHung
11-10-2000, 02:16 AM
I have had the good fortune to have studied both Tang Fung and Lam Sai-Wing versions of Hung Gar. I am expert in neither.As to which is better? Which is better, red or white wine? I love them both, each has their own subtle nuances, different flavors. What is important is that no matter which version you study,make sure that you absorb it, and pass it down completely intact,undiluted for the sake of comercialization.CHANGE NOTHING!Make sure that the next generation is BETTER than the one that preceded it, and not the other way around. Bastet said it best, we are all brothers. We are one family-the Hung Family
MP

doug maverick
01-03-2001, 10:06 PM
yee never claimed to be the only school that teaches origenal wfh hung gar it's just that tung fung didn't make any changes to the system nor did yee or yee teacher.

baochui
01-10-2001, 05:10 PM
Hello All,

I train with and have befriended a Sifuu (and of course the students also) in the Tang Fung Line. I have also trained with individuals from "other" lines. Both seem to be very strong, but I did notice some differences. From what I could gather (as an outsider...), the Tang Fung Line appears to work more on the "Iron Body" and the muscular strength / endurance work, but I only have a limited exposure to either line. I have never heard a negative word said about the "other guys" from either side, good sign. The "other" workouts were also very impressive, but differed in that they worked more in other areas like difficult kicking drills and hand speed exercises. Absolutely, both were great, and I found that the people were very strong and still "kind" despite their obvious physical prowess. In both systems, I found that the workouts were long and hard, and covered just about everything--that I knew about ;). I now use all of the "Southern Fist" training methods that I've learned in my own classes and have found the results to be astounding: that's one reason I joined the list, to learn more...

Respectfully,
Baochui

DF
01-10-2001, 08:59 PM
hi friend,

can you please tell me a liitle more about your friend of the Tang Fong lineage. The Lam lineage is by far the more popular line. There are not too many Tang Fong lineage people out there, I am always interested in meeting and getting to know other hung Ga practioners around the world.

thank you

DF

Je Lei Sifu
01-11-2001, 05:51 AM
How are you my friend?

I have been trying to get intouch with you. Email me when you get a chance.

Peace

Je Lei Sifu :cool:

The Southern Fist Subdues The Fierce Mountain Tiger

baochui
01-11-2001, 08:45 AM
Hi DF, New Friend,

My Friend is an Instructor of the Hung Ga and lives in the U.S. His line comes from Tang Fung through Lao Kai Tong (spelling..) in the Philippines. Please let me email you privately if you'd like to talk more, thanks.

Respectfully,
Baochui

DF
01-11-2001, 08:58 AM
hi ,

sure not a problem, my email is Dixon_hungga@hotmail.com

peace

DF

Je Lei Sifu
01-12-2001, 05:36 AM
Is your friend a student of Shakespear Chan?

Peace

Je Lei Sifu :cool:

The Southern Fist Subdues The Fierce Mountain Tiger

Laukarbo
10-06-2006, 09:16 PM
...didnt wanna start a new thread...can anyone point me to some hung gar schools or teachers in the philippines/manila...?
Not looking for a sifu but some training possibilities ...

TenTigers
10-07-2006, 05:09 AM
look up the Jing-Mo/Ching-Wu Association.

Laukarbo
10-07-2006, 06:00 AM
look up the Jing-Mo/Ching-Wu Association.

do they have a site?

ngokfei
10-08-2006, 04:50 PM
The Jing Mo/Chin Wu organization/club headed by SifuShakespear Chan has closed down. At least from the last trip I was there in 1999.

I do know there are schools for:

Choy Li Fut
7 Star Mantis
White Crane
Hung Fut
and a Hung Gar school but I don't know who is running it.

the two major organizations in the phillipines are

Lin Nam and the Beng Kiam, etc.

jing wu/chin woo lineage of Hung Gar
Tang Fang
Lao Kai Tang
Shakespere Chan
Frank Rivera
Jamal Al Bakar.

Hung Fut Phillipines:
http://www.hungfutph.com/training.php

Laukarbo
10-08-2006, 10:43 PM
Hi Ngokfei,

cheers for the infos...:D
I know the Hung Fut school..I trained with them for about 4 months..very genuine kung fu guys they mainly practise conditioning which was very very useful for my hung gar training...now im back in the phils ..maybe for good so i just wanna get some new connection..hongkong isnt far so i always can get there to learn new things with my sifu.
I had a exchange of mails with Arnold from the ling nam association,he said there are no hung ar schools in the phils.
...i might start to teach the lau family hung gar over here...but first things first
:D

5thBrother
10-14-2006, 04:59 AM
sorry off topic

butcan anyone point to the urk of the new hung gar forums that most of the "old hung gar forums (southern fist forums)" are at?

thanks~

WanderingMonk
10-14-2006, 05:06 AM
sorry off topic

butcan anyone point to the urk of the new hung gar forums that most of the "old hung gar forums (southern fist forums)" are at?

thanks~

some people registered, but the businesses are a bit slow.

http://southernkungfu.forumco.com/default.asp

5thBrother
10-14-2006, 05:37 AM
Thanks for the url!

Asmo
10-14-2006, 07:44 AM
some people registered, but the businesses are a bit slow.

Let's bring it back alive guys ;)

WanderingMonk
10-14-2006, 05:39 PM
Let's bring it back alive guys ;)

we can try.

Asmo
10-14-2006, 11:24 PM
There's currently a discussion about GGFFK wich can grow even more interetsing as it already is. Hope to see (new & renewed oldies ;)) adding their bits to it!

We also started a new thread about a pillar form, this time Fu Hok. Feel free to add your bits to the parts already discussed!

Oppurtunities enough for good discussions I think.

HSCLFCPA
10-15-2006, 12:24 AM
Does anyone know George Kikes and if he still teaches, where he is currently teaching?

He had taught the Lam Family Tiger Crane style in Walnut Creek, CA. He studied under Bucksam Kong, YC Wong and also, I think, under either Lam Cho, Lam Chun, or Lam Chun Sing or all of them.

Thanks