PDA

View Full Version : Newbie punches me in face!!

Grappling-Insanity
10-09-2001, 08:55 PM
So I was in class yesterday, and theres a newbie that I'm sparring with. Now we all know I'm a massive beastish 130. My partner is 180-ish, i'm getting into NHB so I got my gloves/mouthpiece in.

I end up in full mount and slap on a almost paintbrush/americana/whatever you want to call it. So instead of tapping which I explained for like 2 mins :D , he punches me in da face!!! :mad: .

At first I think its a mistake so I'm like whatever but he keeps hitting me. So then I'm like lets trade b!tch!!! I already got my glove on so I start open handing him for awhile until the rest of the class kinda pulled me off.

Needless to say he left a lil bit early :D .

Water Dragon
10-09-2001, 09:02 PM
LOL. Can I join the class? :D

You may take my life, but you will never take my Freedom

old jong
10-09-2001, 09:03 PM
That shows you can get hit even from "the" mount!...Some don't know how to tap don't they? ;)

Les paroles s'envolent.
Les écrits restent!...

Knifefighter
10-09-2001, 09:05 PM
GI:
If you are training for MMA, he should be able to strike to defend your submissions. That is what will happen when you compete. I don't see anything wrong with what he did unless you purposely didn't work the submission in order to give him a chance to tap.

LEGEND
10-09-2001, 09:06 PM
DOOD...I'm 140lbs and a small guy myself. Not exactly the same scenario but almost alwayz a bigger guy wants to embarass you if u're set up against him! I had a 210lb guy roll with me with very little tech...and I manage to outposition him in every turn...embarassing encounter for him since he thought he could manhandle me. In the end...we never saw him again. As a little guy you have to be cautious with the hot heads...if they take it to the next level...so do you! They will be forced to respect you. It happens all the time.

A

Shaolin
10-09-2001, 09:07 PM
If the jerk ever comes back let him know who the man is. Give him little shots here and there just to humble him. If you let one guy walk on ya, ya might as well let everyone walk on ya. FEAR ME! :mad:

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

qeySuS
10-09-2001, 09:09 PM
does being 5,10" and skinny as phuck count as being small ? :D I think someon calculated my massive 65Kgs into 140-145Lbs.

Free thinkers are dangerous!

Scott R. Brown
10-09-2001, 09:20 PM
Welcome to the real world. On the street don't expect people to give up until they are out for the count. Then when you get up leave the area because someone like that will come after you again, but the next time from behind with backup or a weapon. I attempted to make this point some time ago on another thread. The real world is not class. There are very brutal people out there who have been shot, stabbed, clubbed etc. Getting bloody or receiving a broke arm is pansy stuff to these people. These people will do you in if you get over confident.

Working for the prison system I knew 2 inmates who threw another inmate off the second tier knowing they would be shot and possibly killed while doing it and they were; they were both shot in the leg and didn't even blink an eye.

Criminals travel in packs and show no mercy. Avoid ground fighting in the street if it can be helped.

Sincerely,

Scott

MaFuYee
10-09-2001, 09:34 PM
what's a "paintbrush/americana"?
because, if he could punch you in the face, why should he tap out?

- I bet a funny thing about driving a car off a cliff is, while you're in midair, you still hit those brakes! Hey, better try the emergency brake!

Johnny Hot Shot
10-09-2001, 09:52 PM
Friked redneck Albertans eh! Is he from Ft. Mac or something?

"Life's a great adventure, mate."
Jacko Jackson

JWTAYLOR
10-09-2001, 09:55 PM
GDA, not to be critical, but why didn't you complete the sub instead of smacking him? Where you just trying to be nice?

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Knifefighter
10-09-2001, 10:33 PM
MaFuYee:
The lock is an upper arm lock. It is the one John Marsh used in his fight against the kung fu guy (except he used it from the side control position). If it is locked in tight and you try to punch your way out, your arm will be broken and/or you will have your rotator cuff torn.

Water Dragon
10-09-2001, 10:35 PM
Or it'll pop out like an oven roasted chicken leg.

You may take my life, but you will never take my Freedom

Tigerstyle
10-09-2001, 10:47 PM
mmmmmmm. Oven roasted chicken.

ying jow
10-09-2001, 10:51 PM
To say that it is alright for someone to get mad and punch you in the face because that is what would happen in the streets is ridiculous. First of all in the street he could have just broken the arm and not waited for the tapout.

If you learned your subs in that school then thier should be guidelines in place for strikes and subs in sparring. If you learned them somewhere else it's better off to use the sparring rules for that school.

Always remember people put a lot of time and effort in thier training and don't like to be showed up by someone using another style. Whether that is a right or wrong attitude not the point, but it is a reality. So always show respect for the people your training with and save the extras for after class with people who have your same goals.

DrunkenMonkey
10-09-2001, 11:31 PM
Something like this happened while I was helping a younger belt in his point sparring. I also explained to him that when points are scored, you are to stop, bow and then continue (stoopid rule).

So when it comes to point and I stop, I comes in and punches me in the gut twice! Needless to say, I coughed, wheeled, sidestepped and slammed his temple (which was covered in foam padding) with my fist then finished him off by taking out left left quadricep with a palm.

The guy quit that day.

"****ed be the day that befalls us in a most hostile manner that shall compromise our Country, and ****ed be the great lengths at which are required of to stir our Patriotism." - Anonymous

Jaguar Wong
10-09-2001, 11:40 PM
Jeeze, can't you guys just check your egos and calmly explain this to them? :p

I think there's just too many stories like this:

"so this beginner was practicing some stuff with me, but he made up his own rules and actually hit me when I wasn't prepared, so I scrapped all the rules except one. The rule of the FIST! ......He quite later that night :D"

When I'm working with beginners, and I get hit because I'm not paying attention, that's my fault, even though the guys should have been listening. If he's still swinging, then I clinch, or go for a sweep/trip to stop them. After they stop, I "re-explain" the concepts I'm trying to teach them.

If it happens during sparring, I just chalk it up to good technique on their part, and let them know. I will also slowly raise the level of intensity, but I don't "unleash the dragon" on 'em...Unless they've been there a while, and need a good challenge.

Jaguar Wong

Ryu
10-10-2001, 01:07 AM
Hmm.
I got into a fight once (well the guy wasn't as big as I was...) but anyway, I got into a fight once because of something like that.

A guy I worked with knew I had done some BJJ and wrestling and kept going on about how he had fought lots of wrestlers and they could never keep him down, etc. He asked me to show him a double leg takedown so he could show me how he could counter it (bending over and trying to bearhug me or some strange thing...)
I kept taking him down, and didn't really want to continue this since we were in the back garage of where we worked. But finally he wanted to spar it so he could do his move "faster".
I took him down again, and this time he grabbed my neck in a headlock and tried to pull my head off! I kept him on his back, mounted him, broke the lock, and I think pulled my fist back to strike him, but he verbally gave up.
Egos can flare way too much in "sparring" situations with people you don't know. Come to think of it, most of my real life fights and challenge matches involved the mount position, and usually ended from there.

Ryu

http://www.jkdu.co.za/pics/logos/jkduhpma1.gif

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Daniel Madar
10-10-2001, 01:42 AM
Editing yet another pointless post.

:)

Merciless is Mercy.

Grappling-Insanity
10-10-2001, 02:56 AM
Well it was submissions only, I do train NHB but just started thats why I was wearing gloves/mouthpiece (to get the feel of em'). The reason why I didnt finish the lock is cuz I didnt wanna snap his arm!! :D .

JWTAYLOR
10-10-2001, 05:15 AM
Just goes to show you, no good deed goes unpunished.

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

KnightSabre
10-10-2001, 02:56 PM
There was this guy that joined my school for about 1 month,he has a black belt in Ninjitsu and had been doing Judo for some years.Anyway everytime he grappled with my students (who had been training for maybe 3 months) he would hurt them and grapple them in a real arrogant manour.When I showed the class a tech he would show his partner a "better" version.Then one day I was grappling my students and his turn came,from the look in his eyes I knew he was gonna challenge me,as we started he went all out,I took him down,went to side control,then 69 and mounted from there,I put alot of pressure on him and no matter what he did he couldn't escape.After about a minute he started complaining that his leg was cramping.
I haven't seen him since.

"You're Good Kid Real Good,But As Long As I'm Arround You'll Always Be Second Best See".

Jaguar Wong
10-10-2001, 05:47 PM
Grappling-Insanity,
that's when you grit your teeth, tuck your chin, and crank the sub. If he's using MMA style sub escapes, then you should show him the error of his ways :). Either that, or just like you did with the pimp slapping. I'm sure either would have worked.

Jaguar Wong

Snake
10-10-2001, 07:04 PM
Most of the time when these kind of things happen it is out of frustration. One person is unable to use their techniques as effectively as they would like and as a result are getting beaten on in a sparring session. Their frustration boils to the surface and they feel as if they have to lash out in any manner so that they can maintain some assurance that what they are learning is useful, even if they have only been studying a short time. I've seen tempers flair a number of times, but generally it is among the newer students who have not yet learned control or recognize when they have been beaten. I know I had to learn to check my ego at the door or it would get in the way of my progression. It was a very important lesson for me.

Snake