PDA

View Full Version : Doing the flip up.....

Souljah
01-13-2003, 05:48 AM
OK, can anyone help me. I know its kind of a hard thing to help on but any would be appreciated.

Doing the flip up, you know lying on your back and flipping up onto your feet (with hands for now)
I dont know I just cant seem to move my body in this way, I get halfway up and then spack back down on my ass or my back.

Now i'm a reasonably fit guy, but are there any ways of doing exercises or things I might need to practice that will help me do the flip up?
I think the main problem is just getting my legs/feet fully grounded.
I know its not that hard for most of you but im natually not very agile in this way.

any tips?

-greg

Ming Yue
01-13-2003, 06:30 AM
My Sifu explained that one facet of the move is to kick straight up with both feet to get lift, not out. I've seen people do the move with assistance from thier hands (palms down on either side of the head, pushing up and out as legs kick up).

:confused: I'd like to add this to your question: I too would love to be able to pull this move off, but what about for women? How does my lower center of gravity change how I learn this move? Can women expect to perform the flip up without hand assist?

-C

inic
01-13-2003, 07:18 AM
i had trouble with this for awhile... i got over it by just kept practicing. eventually i was able to do it and can keep doing it. now i'm trying to do it with no hands.
practice on mats, it helps

Souljah
01-13-2003, 11:17 AM
thanks for the input.....

I will try and find a mat, if not i'll just start practicing on my bed or something.

Robinf
01-14-2003, 01:12 PM
Thanks, ghthomason.

I haven't had it explained to me like that. Perhaps this will help me. I've strengthened everything that I need to be able to do this, I just can't seem to get it. But, I think my feet keep landing in front of me and I've never pushed up my hips, I've always pulled with my back.

I'll try this out tonight.

Robin

Tsukasa_1
01-14-2003, 08:03 PM
OK i havent read what everybody else said, but here is the main thing that most people do wrong,

look down at your feet, this causes you to tuck you chin and allows you to keep your balance

Mizong_Kid
01-16-2003, 06:04 PM
okay so what if ur skinnny........can u still do the famous jet li kip up? jet li does this move in legend of fist and it looks wicked!

is it more mechanics or strength to pull of this move?

TjD
01-16-2003, 07:16 PM
i've can do it. i think its mostly lower back/abdominal strength. definately kick your legs straight up as has been said. kick your legs up, arch your back and crunch your stomache to get rightside up, then hopefully land on your feet ;)

yu shan
01-17-2003, 12:01 AM
Some stuff cannot be taught on KFO, strong advocate of having a Teacher!