PDA

View Full Version : Pien San Wing Chun

marcoma
01-13-2003, 10:16 AM
I have recently heard of Pien San Wing Chun and I want to know how this style is different from other lineages of this art. I have been learning the Wong Shun Leung method and I want to know how Pien San WC will compare to it.

If any of you reading this has experience in both these lineages or have fought or chi sau'd with Pien San WC practitioners I would like to know your thoughts.

I have found an instructor named Joseph Lee teaching close to me in London (UK). Can anyone comment on how well he teaches or how good his students are?

Many Thanks

Marco

reneritchie
01-13-2003, 10:58 AM
Pien San is a completely different branch of the art from Yip Man WCK:

Leung Jan - Chan Wah-Shun - Yip Man
Leung Jan - Wong Wah-Sum - Fung Chun

Its a name primarily ascribe the the Fung families preservation of Leung Jan's teachings in his native village of Gulao (Koo Lo in Cantonese). After retiring from his apothacary shop in Foshan at roughly 70 years of age, he returned to Gulao and taught a few students. He didn't teach 3 boxing sets (Siu Lien Tao, Chum Kiu, Biu Jee) as he had in Foshan, but rather San Sik (Separate Forms), which are like short sections of linked techniques. These were designed to show core concepts, movements, and tactics, and to build each one on the previous, achieving a similar progressive approach to fighting skill development.

Joseph Lee, I believe, was a student of Lee Shing. Lee Shing learned both the Fung family Pien San, and Yip Man's Wing Chun Kuen, and taught both.

For more, please consult http://www.wingchunkuen.com/archives/systems (there should be an article by Joseph Lee, among others, in there).

RR

Jim Roselando
01-13-2003, 11:41 AM
Hello,

I have spoken with Joseph Lee via phone a number of times. He is a nice guy and a devoted Lee Shing practitioner. We have discussed the Pin Sun WC and they were pretty close in material contents. I do know that it is highly unlikely that Joseph will teach you the Pin Sun WC before he teaches you the Yip Man portion of his teaching first.

As for how it is similar or different from Wong Shun Leung's teaching you may want to ask some of your Australian WC brothers from Wong sifu's family. I know a few of them, not long ago, met Fung Keung sifu in Hong Kong and are now looking into training with him. They all spoke well of his application/teaching/art. Perhaps they will be your best bet for a comparison discussion since they train the same methods as you.

If its possible could you e-mail me off-list as I have misplaced Joseph's information and would like to get it again?!

Listed below is the core fist fighting system:

Fung Ga Sup Yee San Sik

The Fung Ga Sup Yee San Sik (Fung Family 12 Separate Forms), descending from Fung Chun of Gulao village, organize the Gulao/Pien San Wing Chun Kuen system in 12 forms containing 3 points each, for a total of 36 points:

Siu Lin Tao (Little Training Set)
Dai Lin Tao (Big Training Set)
(Includes Saam Pai Fut (Three Prayers to Buddha))
Saam Jin Choi (Three Arrow Fist)
Biu Choi (Darting Fist)
Sup Jee Choi (Cross Shape Fist)
Lan Kiu (Barring Bridge)
Wu Dip Jeung (Butterfly Palms)
Jit Jee Kum Kiu (Slicing Fingers Seizing Bridge)
Hok Bong (Crane Wing)
Tang Ma Biu Jee (Jumping Horse Darting Fingers)
Wan Wun Yiu (Life After Death)
Fook Fu (Subdue the Tiger)

Extensions:

Dai Bong (Big Wing)
Fu Mei (Tiger Tail)
Lung Na (Dragon Grab)
Cup Da (Controlling Hitting)
Lin Wan Fai Jeung (Linking Fast Palms)
Seung Lung Chut Hoi (Twin Dragons Emerge from the Sea)

Regards,

yylee
01-13-2003, 08:28 PM
http://www.ee.cuhk.edu.hk/~ymfung/kulo/PoAUoo/poauoo.html

junmo
01-13-2003, 09:18 PM
Hi marcoma,

there is also Joseph Man - one of Lee Shings older disciples since the 60's who is still teaching in North London, just outside Finsbury Park. I had the opportunity to train fulltime with Sifu and his older students for a number of years and the overview he gave me of the system in this short time involved pole figthing interaction, mui fa jong, literature and san shou, as just some of the areas he touched upon. If you are interested contact me personally and I will send you his details. A most accomodating and humorous teacher.

cheng