PDA

View Full Version : Question for the people from England

IronFist
01-13-2003, 03:05 PM
Hey guys, what is "Cockney Rhyming Slang?"

Cockney is a dialect, right? The one with all the glottal stops everytime a word has a "t" in the middle of it. :D

Thanks,

No, wait, I mean, Cheers!:p

IronFist

KC Elbows
01-13-2003, 03:09 PM
Isn't that like 'flack, stack-cash' or whatever, where one word is said which rhymes with another that relates to the actual word being said?

cogg
01-13-2003, 03:22 PM
Some examples:

Mince pies....eyes
Apples and pairs....stairs
Brown bread....dead
China plate....mate
Tea Leaf....Thief
Pork pies....Lies
Oliver Twist....Fist
Apple Crumble....Rumble
Rubber Duck....F@!k

****neys are what everyone else in Britain call people from London. People who tend to use ****ney rhyming slang are Taxi drivers, and coppers who think theyre funny.

Stranger
01-13-2003, 03:28 PM
a common one Americans are more familiar with, "What in Sam Hill?!?!?!?"

Sam Hill= the Devil

Souljah
01-13-2003, 04:06 PM
LOL

"****neys are what everyone else in Britain call people from London. People who tend to use ****ney rhyming slang are Taxi drivers, and coppers who think theyre funny."

Well technically not ALL of london, Its just the east end really, where im from. But ****ney ryhming slang isnt really used anymore. I know u got these guys like in Oceans eleven and the "barney rubble-trouble" stuff but you will find barely anyone seriously speaking like this, only **** -takers

There are variants of it used by kids.....call it the new age ****ney talk - but the "skill" (lol, did i say that) of rhyming has been lost and its just straight slang which no1 else in the UK can understand (apart from brixtonites i guess)

-greg

apoweyn
01-13-2003, 04:11 PM
bread and honey = money
trouble and strife = wife

Serpent
01-13-2003, 04:54 PM
Fillet o' cod = sod.

CrippledAvenger
01-13-2003, 05:12 PM
according to Herbert Asbury's Gangs of New york , there was a bit of rhyming slang in old New york for most of the 19th century. it seems like it was either absorbed or displaced by the more common new york dialect we are so familiar with today.

just my two cents.

Sharky
01-13-2003, 05:21 PM
why should people in brixton, from the south of london, be able to understand ****ney rhyming slang, which is from the east??

Serpent
01-13-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Stranger
a common one Americans are more familiar with, "What in Sam Hill?!?!?!?"

Sam Hill= the Devil

That's some of the lamest rhyming slang I ever heard. Bloody Americans, can't get anything right.

Sharky
01-13-2003, 05:41 PM
sam hill = devil?

of course it does.

Stranger
01-13-2003, 05:50 PM
Bloody Americans, can't get anything right.

You act like Americans made it up. :rolleyes:

NEWS FLASH: That expression was imported a long time ago. You may not like it. It was mentioned merely for the fact that some Americans (mostly older ones) are aware of it, unlike the other C0ckney Rhymes that were posted.

Serpent
01-13-2003, 05:55 PM
Bloody Americans, can't get anything right.

You act like Americans made it up. :rolleyes:

NEWS FLASH: That expression was imported a long time ago. You may not like it. It was mentioned merely for the fact that some Americans (mostly older ones) are aware of it, unlike the other C0ckney Rhymes that were posted.

Oooh. Keep yer hair on!

Bloody Americans. Always so defensive.

CrippledAvenger
01-13-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Serpent

Oooh. Keep yer hair on!

Bloody Americans. Always so defensive.

well, yeah. We're afraid that some day you brits might get thre crazy idea to start dressing up as injuns and throw all our McDonalds' burgers into the harbor.

eulerfan
01-13-2003, 05:58 PM
I'm a merkin and I know a couple more.

Hamburger Hill = the pill
A Leo Sayer = an all dayer

Souljah
01-13-2003, 06:01 PM
sharky....'read' my post.

i didnt say people in brixton would understand the ryhming slang - I said that eastend (mainly hackney) slang is very similar to south london (brixton) slang

Serpent
01-13-2003, 06:02 PM
Fancy a Leo Sayer darlin'?

Dancing on the ceiling will never sound the same again.

Stranger
01-13-2003, 06:05 PM
Sorry Serpent.

It can get a little on edge here at KFO. I thought in addition to all of the other woes in the world, the US was about to be blamed for destroying C0ckney slang. Don't laugh, it is possible on this forum. :D

As it has been kind of mentioned, what is the deal with term "bloody"? It is not very offensive here in the US, but it was recently pointed out to me that it is an obscenity in the UK.

Stranger
01-13-2003, 06:08 PM
whistle and flute= a suit

correct, no?

Sharky
01-13-2003, 06:11 PM
souljah

sorry man i missed the 'now it's just straight slang' bit ;)

Sharky
01-13-2003, 06:12 PM
i doubt most people from this site would understand half of what i say when i speak... except maybe souljah and... no that's about it.

Sharky
01-13-2003, 06:17 PM
bloody.... is about in between saying "for heavens sake" and "for ****s sake"

it's not a 'really bad word' but i wouldn't say it at a job interview

not unless i was the guy giving the interview and i was saying 'get the bloody hell out of my office, you ****"

or something

IronFist
01-13-2003, 06:20 PM
Hamburger Hill = the pill

So like, instead of saying "the pill" you would say "Hamburger Hill?" As in, like, "she's on Hamburger Hill?"

As a side comment, what the hell does "Hamburger Hill" have to do with birth control pills? :D It just rhymes? Is that it?

IronFist

Souljah
01-13-2003, 06:22 PM
sharky - safe blood...

anyone else understand that?

hehe

Souljah
01-13-2003, 06:23 PM
what with the facination with c0ckneys anyway?

CrippledAvenger
01-13-2003, 06:23 PM
As a side comment, what the hell does "Hamburger Hill" have to do with birth control pills? It just rhymes? Is that it?

both are sites of strategic importance?

Sharky
01-13-2003, 06:24 PM
It usually just has to rhyme.

Luvveryly jubberly

Sharky
01-13-2003, 06:26 PM
lol souljah

looks odd 'on a screen'

IronFist
01-13-2003, 06:27 PM
What is/happened at Hamburger Hill?

So is that right? "She's on Hamburger Hill?"

IronFist

Sharky
01-13-2003, 06:29 PM
I didn't know that hamburger hill meant "the pill", so i can't comment

but

if it means "the pill" then it's correct. but if it means "pill" then it would have to be something like "she's on the hamburger hill"

what does it have to do with anything iron?

eulerfan
01-13-2003, 06:32 PM
Exactly how I heard it used was a question put to me, "You've never been on hamburger hill?"

IronFist
01-13-2003, 06:51 PM
Sharky, I just read something about Cockney rhyming slang and I didn't know what it was so I thought I'd ask all the British people here :P

IronFist

Xebsball
01-13-2003, 07:01 PM
im always into learning new slang, but i doubt i can remember or effectively use the ones you people mentioned

dezhen2001
01-13-2003, 07:19 PM
sharky and souljah: safe ;)

dawood

Serpent
01-13-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by dezhen2001
sharky and souljah: safe ;)

dawood

Safe. ;)

At least we're all sorted.

Serpent
01-13-2003, 07:32 PM
whistle and flute= a suit

correct, no?

Almost correct. Whistle & flute = suit. Not a suit. Sounds pernicketty, but it's a relevant point.

The trouble with rhyming slang is that most people that do use it don't use the whole thing, but just single words that represent the rhyme. Kinda like slang within slang. This requires an example, doesn't it.

i.e. "Get up them apples and put on your whistle before I slap you right across the boat, you lazy Berkshire!"

In the above example:

Apples = apples & pears = stairs
whistle = whistle & flute = suit
boat = boat race = face
Berkshire = Berkshire hunt = ... I'm sure you get the rest of that one. (So think carefully whenever you call someone a berk!)

It's something that you probably don't want to get too worried about. It's a dying dialect. Which is a shame really, but what can you do, eh?

Pukka.

dezhen2001
01-13-2003, 07:41 PM

ah ken wutt e'meen :cool: (d@mn thats bloody hard to type!)

dawood

Serpent
01-13-2003, 07:44 PM

ah ken wutt e'meen :cool: (d@mn thats bloody hard to type!)

dawood

Aye, bot nae'un else'll ken what ye mean!

dezhen2001
01-13-2003, 07:47 PM
geed yin big man :D

dawood

dezhen2001
01-13-2003, 07:48 PM
thought u had maybe been gone for too long :p so much for not understanding ****ney rhyming slang :D

dawood

Serpent
01-13-2003, 07:54 PM
You know, it's weird. I talk like some weird English/Aussie hybrid most of the time, but when I get on the phone to English friends I sound like Ben Elton right away and when I'm in the presence of Scots I revert back to broad Scots accent in seconds. It's weird. When I visit Scotland I talk like a Scottish native for weeks afterwards until the accent slowly drifts away like treacle down a slightly blocked drain. I was only there till I was 7, but I've since spent a lot of time back there.

It's all weird. :)

eulerfan
01-13-2003, 07:57 PM
I lived there when I was five to seven. It's still my favorite accent of all. My younger brother, for some weird reason, still says, 'aboot'.

dezhen2001
01-13-2003, 07:58 PM
cool man :) i dont really have that much of an accent either, but have no idea why? just hope i dont end up with the aussie/arabic accent my um friends have :eek:

everyone else is probably wondering what the heck we were saying lol :D

dawood

Serpent
01-13-2003, 08:07 PM
That Aussie accent that middle eastern guys develop (especially the Lebanese) is really bad, huh!

eulerfan, are you sure your brother's not Canadian? ;)

dezhen2001
01-13-2003, 08:14 PM
like i said before: ah ken wutt e'meen (regional variation ;)) lol

thankfully its not THAT bad in my case or those close to me, but ive heard it around :)

really its pretty strange, i dont really speak like that at all, then sometimes a word just slips out by surprise. Especially here as most my friends are international students, they get confused :D

slang and accents are amazing things!

dawood

eulerfan
01-13-2003, 08:14 PM
Deep, deep south, baby!

He can do the scottish accent so well, he once convinced a group of scots he was from aberdeen.

dezhen2001
01-13-2003, 08:23 PM
As a 100% Scot im impressed! But no one can understand anyone form aberdeen anyway :D

dawood

eulerfan
01-13-2003, 08:26 PM
I should probably mention the rather large quantity of alcohol involved in this ruse.

dezhen2001
01-13-2003, 08:27 PM
but does he like sheep? thats the real test for ppl form Aberdeen... :eek: or is that the part when he was found out?

dawood

eulerfan
01-13-2003, 08:34 PM
English slang makes me think of a funny story.

My ex was from a little town about an hour from London. It took me the longest time to figure out why he kept promising me pudding but never gave me any. He'd ask if I wanted pudding and I'd say, 'yeah, sure.' Then he'd bring me candy or fruit or something. And I always thought, "Oh, he realized he was out of pudding so he just brought me something else. That's cool."

Serpent
01-13-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by eulerfan
Deep, deep south, baby!

He can do the scottish accent so well, he once convinced a group of scots he was from aberdeen.

Drunk or not, that's pretty impressive.

Sharky
01-13-2003, 08:36 PM
I'm too grimey for pudding

dezhen2001
01-13-2003, 08:37 PM
what IS pudding? i always thought pudding (or puh-din as we say :D) is the same as dessert:confused:

dawood

Serpent
01-13-2003, 08:38 PM
English slang makes me think of a funny story.

My ex was from a little town about an hour from London. It took me the longest time to figure out why he kept promising me pudding but never gave me any. He'd ask if I wanted pudding and I'd say, 'yeah, sure.' Then he'd bring me candy or fruit or something. And I always thought, "Oh, he realized he was out of pudding so he just brought me something else. That's cool."

Haha. Pud always follows tea and has nothing to do with dinner, which is served at lunch time! ;)

dezhen2001
01-13-2003, 08:39 PM
"the only way to live is the Grimey way..." man i listen to too much thugged out sheit :D

dawood

Serpent
01-13-2003, 08:39 PM
what IS pudding? i always thought pudding (or puh-din as we say :D) is the same as dessert:confused:

dawood

Exactly. To you and me it is (although I confuse my Aussie friends with that too). In Yankee land pudding is a specific dish.

eulerfan
01-13-2003, 08:41 PM

dawood

Well, it is up there. Here it's a type of dessert. About the consistance of custard, usually chocolate flavored. Sometimes vanilla or tapioca.

dezhen2001
01-13-2003, 08:41 PM
well i mean here we have bread and butter puddin or rice puddin, so what is the dish in the US?

dawood

dezhen2001
01-13-2003, 08:44 PM
wow perfect answer... think im gonna have to go to the US just to try that someday - anyone wanna hook me up?

dawood

Serpent
01-13-2003, 08:53 PM
Heh. Dezhen's looking for a street corner pudding pusher!

dezhen2001
01-13-2003, 08:57 PM
im sure i can find one here if i was THAT desperate... but i got no money and they are all old, anorexic and wear laddered tights :eek::(

dawood

IronFist
01-13-2003, 10:30 PM
Dude are you serious they don't sell American style pudding over there?

Maybe I can hook you up.

Let me think of something I want from UK in exhange :D

Over here they have like "instant pudding" you just add milk and cook it on the stove and it's ready in like 5-10 minutes (I'm taking a guess at the time, I don't ever cook it).

Or, you can buy it in these little like 4oz cups where you peel off a lid and eat it.

You can eat it hot or cold!

Do you guys have JELLO over there?

IronFist

Serpent
01-13-2003, 10:50 PM
I dunno what arsehole of the world Dezhen's living in ( ;) ), but yeah, there's pudding (as per the American description) in England. It's sold under all sorts of different names and there's different versions, but I'm sure you guys don't have anything that's not available in the UK on that score.

When I was in the states, I was offered pudding a couple of times. I got the reverse of eulerfan's experience. I was always thinking, d@mn these people always have the same thing for pudding! :)

And yeah, they gots Jello too, only not that brand. There's lots of brands, all referred to as Jelly. What you guys call Jelly, they call jam.

Are you sure you want to keep going with this!?

IronFist
01-13-2003, 11:18 PM
I think in America "jelly" is different from "jam." I forgot the difference, though. But I think there is one. Like, they're both things you put on bread, but they're different.

Anyone?

IronFist

Serpent
01-13-2003, 11:27 PM
Well, let's see if we can sort it out. In the UK and Australia, etc. jam is basically fruit and sugar in a sweet spread used on sammiches and so forth. It often has bits of the fruit in it (or should at least). Sometimes jam has no actual fruit in it and is just a jam-like sugar substance designed to destroy teeth.

Jelly is ... hang on, there's an easier way to do this:

jam
n.

A preserve made from whole fruit boiled to a pulp with sugar.

and

jel·ly

n. pl. jel·lies

A soft, semisolid food substance with a resilient consistency, made by the setting of a liquid containing pectin or gelatin or by the addition of gelatin to a liquid, especially such a substance made of fruit juice containing pectin boiled with sugar.

What do you think of that?

SevenStar
01-13-2003, 11:29 PM
Yeah, that's what the difference is. We've made homemeade jam. good stuff.

Hey do you guys and aussies really eat that veggie-mite stuff?

Serpent
01-13-2003, 11:34 PM
Oh man, that's a difficult question. The short answer is yes, however...

In both England and Australia there are similar products: Marmite and Vegemite. They are both yeast based spreads.

In England: Marmite is excellent, lovely and tasteful. Vegemite doesn't exist there.

In Australia: Marmite exists, but is nothing like English Marmite and the Aussie Marmite tastes horrible. However, Australia does have Vegemite, which is lovely and tasteful and tastes just like English Marmite.

Got that? I hope that made sense!

IronFist
01-13-2003, 11:37 PM
I heard Australians make fun of Fosters beer. Is that true? Like, Fosters tries to market itself as the cool Aussie beer in America (it does, I've seen the commercials), but they make fun of it for that very reason in Australia.

Is that true?

Someone in the know give me the info.

IronFist

Serpent
01-13-2003, 11:43 PM
I live in Australia. I don't know anyone that drinks that ****. However, in the US and the UK they love it! Bwwaaaahhahhaahhaaaaa! Fools!

XXXX is popular in Queensland, but nowhere else. That's marketed broadly in the US and the UK too!

SevenStar
01-13-2003, 11:53 PM
what does veggemite taste like?

Serpent
01-14-2003, 12:03 AM
Like nothing else you've ever tasted. I honestly have absolutely no idea how to describe it. It's an intense flavour, yeasty and strong. Most people only have the merest scrape of it on the bread, but I lather it on. Then again, most people look at me like I've grown another head when they see how much vegemite I use.

*shrug*

You'd have to taste it to know, really.

SevenStar
01-14-2003, 12:06 AM
I may try to buy some off the net

dezhen2001
01-14-2003, 04:55 AM
mmmm nyummmy.... i like marmite :p serpernt - this whole trans-world thing is a bit more complicated than i originally thought it was gonna be huh? oh well :cool:

dawood

SevenStar
01-14-2003, 05:37 AM
yeah, well - we have apple butter. Do you guys have that? :p

TigerJaw
01-14-2003, 06:48 AM
No but we do have, P G Tips, Digestive biscuits, Cadbury's and Galaxy Cholcolate, Thornton's Toffee, Baked beans, really good beer and curry.

So nah, nah, na, nah, nah :p

eulerfan
01-14-2003, 08:24 AM
A few years ago I found Nutella here. I don't know why it took so long to get here but MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

guohuen
01-14-2003, 11:12 AM
Are you all daft? Pudding has to be wrapped in cheesecloth and steamed. And flamed with brandy or rum at Christmas dinner. I prefer crumpets with my tea.:p Seriously, I was raized in the deep south and have no appreciable accent unless I'm really tired or drunk.:p I have the odd traight of being able to mimic accents with my singing voice but not my speaking voice. I understand most peoples accents most of the time.

apoweyn
01-14-2003, 11:34 AM
Oh man, that's a difficult question. The short answer is yes, however...

In both England and Australia there are similar products: Marmite and Vegemite. They are both yeast based spreads.

In England: Marmite is excellent, lovely and tasteful. Vegemite doesn't exist there.

In Australia: Marmite exists, but is nothing like English Marmite and the Aussie Marmite tastes horrible. However, Australia does have Vegemite, which is lovely and tasteful and tastes just like English Marmite.

Got that? I hope that made sense!

marmite is the perfect food. i love it. everyone else hates it. so... more for me.

as for ****ney rhyming slang, any american that wants to see it 'in action' should go and rent the limey starring terrance stamp as a father searching for his daughter in LA. he uses a lot of abbreviated rhyming slang throughout, as serpent (i think) described. and then he has to explain it to his east LA sidekick (played by luis guzman). good flick in its own right, but a must if you want to get a handle on the ****ney rhyming scheme.

of course, my dad (born and raised in london) and his mum still had to explain much of it to us as we went along.

stuart b.

eulerfan
01-14-2003, 11:39 AM
I'm from the deep south but I wasn't raised there, entirely. I was raised in New Orleans(the accent there is more New York than Souther U.S.), Scotland, Singapore and spent kindergarten year in Norway. I don't really have an accent. Most Americans regard me as foreign in some unidentifiable way. After about a month of training, my sifu asked, "So, you're from Norway, right?" I did spend a year there so I was impressed.

I've had quite a few foreigners ask me what part of Europe I'm from. I say, "I'm American. Do I have a European accent?"

The response is, "No. Your accent is *mostly* American but everything about your demeanor says 'europe'. You act like a European." How does a European act? I don't know. Apparently, like me.

A French guy once stopped me on the street and asked me if I was French. Sounds like a line but he was dismissive when I said I was American. "Never mind, then." Something about the way I looked and the way I walked down the street made him think I was French.

My ex, when he was moving home, told me I should move to Europe. I said, "I'd like to. I'm really going to miss you."

He said, "No, not to be with me. Forget about me. Just, at some point, you should move to Europe. I don't think you'll ever be happy here. You don't fit in. You are not American."

So, I imagine I'll try moving to Europe at some point. Probably the UK. I don't want to have to learn a language or anything.

dezhen2001
01-14-2003, 12:38 PM
depends which part of the uk you move to eulerfan... maybe u will have to learn a new language after all. we have some pretty mad accents here and different slang :D

dawood

eulerfan
01-14-2003, 12:57 PM
If it is descended from middle english, at least I'll have a leg up.

That's not by biggest worry.

Probably what is happening is that I seem very European when I'm surrounded by Americans. Were I surrounded by Europeans, I would seem quite obnoxiously American.

Relativity.

I'm sure I'll go to Europe only to discover that I actually don't fit in anywhere. That would suck.:(

Xebsball
01-14-2003, 01:03 PM
nah, since you fit fine on the multi cultural community of kfo :cool:

dezhen2001
01-14-2003, 01:03 PM
well at least u fit in at KFO wherever you are ;)

dawood

dezhen2001
01-14-2003, 01:04 PM
wow :eek:

dawood

Xebsball
01-14-2003, 01:06 PM
LOL dude stop copying me :D

dezhen2001
01-14-2003, 01:08 PM
okok - u can keep hitting on her :D

dawood

eulerfan
01-14-2003, 01:08 PM
I fit in here?

*single tear*:)

dezhen2001
01-14-2003, 01:10 PM
well u fit in as much as any of the rest of us do, thats for sure :)

dawood

Xebsball
01-14-2003, 01:16 PM
i wasnt hitting on her cos theres a bunch of other dudes higher on her list, i dont play for losing son... kinda :D

dezhen2001
01-14-2003, 01:21 PM
who said u would lose? ;)

dawood

Serpent
01-14-2003, 04:59 PM
If it is descended from middle english, at least I'll have a leg up.

That's not by biggest worry.

Probably what is happening is that I seem very European when I'm surrounded by Americans. Were I surrounded by Europeans, I would seem quite obnoxiously American.

Relativity.

I'm sure I'll go to Europe only to discover that I actually don't fit in anywhere. That would suck.:(

There's always Australia! ;)

And which one of you buggers just gave me a several year old yearning for Digestive Biscuits? I forget now, but your a b@stard! ;)

Mmmmm, chocolate Digestives!

dezhen2001
01-14-2003, 05:19 PM
what about hob-nobs? :D

dawood

Serpent
01-14-2003, 08:22 PM
what about hob-nobs? :D

dawood

Oh, you dirty, rotten wh0re! I'm going to have to arrange a trip to England to stock up on biccies!

dezhen2001
01-14-2003, 08:29 PM
or i could send u some useful things? :D
or if u come to england let me know!

dawood

Serpent
01-14-2003, 08:42 PM
or i could send u some useful things? :D
or if u come to england let me know!

dawood

Sure man, thanks.

What about Hula Hoops? I miss Hula Hoops.

My friends send me Polos!

dezhen2001
01-14-2003, 08:49 PM
shoot me a PM :)

dawood

eulerfan
01-14-2003, 08:51 PM

There's always Australia! ;)

"Australia is about as big as the U.S. but, and you probably don't know this, only twelve people live there." - Bill Hicks

Serpent
01-14-2003, 09:13 PM
Dezhen, I've got a pretty good supply line with friends still living there, but I'll give you a shout if they ever slack off! Thanks bro.

Eulerfan, you could be lucky thirteen!

Here's an actual fact that is pretty scary. You know the size of Australia, right? Texas would get lost in a corner of Australia. And you know the size of England, yeah? Tiny little overcrowded island.

Well, there are more people in the Greater London area (i.e. inside the circle of the M25) (25,000,000) than in the entire country of Australia (19,500,000)! :eek:

Now that's a scary statistic. One thing we do have out here is space! Except in the cities. All cities are crowded, everywhere in the world. But Sydney, albeit crowded, is nothing compared to London.

Sharky
01-15-2003, 06:35 AM
Did you know that they don't have American Hard Gums in America?

The irony nearly killed me.

guohuen
01-15-2003, 09:41 AM
Ya'll have a store called Goodwood's. The irony of that almost killed me.:D

dezhen2001
01-15-2003, 10:04 AM
Goodwoods? sorry i never heard of it - but its a cool name :cool:

dawood

Serpent
01-15-2003, 04:19 PM
There's a Goodwood race track (horse racing), but I never heard of Goodwood's stores.

This one'll make the English laugh: Remember that godawful show Are You Being Served? Well, in Australia there's a whole chain of huge department stores called Grace Brothers. Seriously, I thought it was a joke when I first got here, but they're everywhere.