PDA

View Full Version : Where can I learn Choy Mok in NYC?

John Z
09-11-2000, 04:33 AM
I have read about Choy Mok in, "The Complete Guide to Kung Fu Fighting Styles", however I have yet to find any instructors who teach it.

Does anyone out there know anything about it?

Please email me if you have any info:
JohnPZergaJr@earthlink.net

[This message has been edited by John Z (edited 09-11-2000).]

[This message has been edited by John Z (edited 09-11-2000).]

Paul Skrypichayko
09-11-2000, 06:45 AM
You're the only person I've ever heard mention "Choy Mok Kuen". There is a book on it available in some Chinatown bookstores. It's one of thsoe hybrid styles, someone mixed choy gar and mok gar, and made their own style. I haven't heard of anyone teaching it anywhere, or any famous or high level sifus. Maybe someone else on here has some info?

If you'd like the book on it, I can try and get it for you. I'm not sure what the cost is right now, and I'm not sure if there is any English in it either.

CLFNole
09-11-2000, 08:43 PM
I believe it is mainly seen in Hong Kong. I have never heard of anyone teaching it in the U.S. If you can't find someone who teaches it you could try Choy Lay Fut or Hung Gar since are southern styles. Hung Gar is one of the famouse 5 southern familly styles, while Choy Lay Fut incorporates Choy Gar and Lay Gar. It also has aspects of what could be called Fut Gar, Fut referring to Buddha.

FIRE HAWK
09-12-2000, 05:03 AM
Hi iwould be very interested in this CHOY MOK book to.I have herd of this style but have not been able to get any information on CHOY MOK so i would be very interested in this book. my email is GRB7065835@aol.com FIRE HAWK or my real name is ROBERT

John Z
09-12-2000, 06:15 AM
Thanks for repling to my initial question. I know of a few stores in Chinatown who might have the book your talking about.

However, my interst in Choy Mok being a Wing Chun student is the Chi-Sao like exercise exclusive to Choy Mok.

It is supposed to be a recent system, but I find it interesting that it is based on two old sytles of Kung-fu as was mentioned. I will continue my search and hope for the best.