PDA

View Full Version : W.T. in San Fransisco

PQS
01-14-2003, 05:39 AM
Hi I'm hopefully going to be in San Francisco in mid March, does anyone know the address of the W.T. school in the bay area? as I would like to attend/take part in a lesson, does anyone train there, thanks in advance
Regards
Peter

Savi
01-14-2003, 10:31 AM
Hello Peter,
If you would like to visit a Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun School, you can go to this site for contact information:

www.hungfayi.com

Their kwoon is in the San Fran area.

Regards,
-Savi.

PQS
01-14-2003, 01:58 PM
Hi Savi,
thanks for your reply, but as I do Leung Ting Wing Tsun in England, I would like to go and visit the school there . I'm only going for a long weekend as it's my wife's birthday so I'll only get the chance to visit one school.
regards
Peter

wingtsunmonk
01-14-2003, 03:41 PM
PQS,

Here is our website.

http://www.bm-wingtsun.com/

Our class locations and times are posted there and you are more than welcome to visit/train while you are in SF.

Cheers,
Steve
Bay Mountain WT

AndrewS
01-14-2003, 09:30 PM
Steve,

the Julia on your website- German lady? Been training for rather a while, came over with her 6SG or so? I think I met her and her husband back in '97 when I was visiting SF and doing some private lessons with Simon. If she's the lady in question, could you please pass my e-mail along to her- <razorbladekiss23@yahoo.com>.

TIA,

Andrew

PQS,

check <www.ebmas.net> for the EBMAS rep's contact info up there. Steve Buck is one of our students who's trying to get things going up in the Bay area, and is a very nice guy.

PM me if you wanna make a run down to LA.

Later,

Andrew

PQS
01-15-2003, 11:08 AM
Wingtsunmonk
thanks for the link will contact you and hope to see you in March
Andrews
don't think I'll get to LA but thanks for the invite
regards
Peter

rubthebuddha
01-15-2003, 04:51 PM
PQS,

here are the schools authorized by grandmaster in the bay area:

http://www.leungtingwingtsun.net/locate.html#california

enjoy your visit and your training. :)

wingtsunmonk
01-15-2003, 05:27 PM
PQS,

Not a problem. I bounce between the San Francisco classe and the San Rafael classe so there is a good chance our paths will cross when you get out here.

Look forward to meeting you.

AndrewS,

Yes, I believe you are speaking of the Julia I know of. I don't know her e-mail but I will pass your e-mail on when I see her next.

PQS
01-15-2003, 06:25 PM
I've booked the holiday, I will be arriving in San Francisco on 03/13/03 and leaving on 03/20/03, as it's my wife's 40th birthday on the 17th and that's why we are going to San Fran I am not going to be able to train very often, maybe only the one class.
Wingtsunmonk I've emaild your school address, and hopefully we can meet up.
I will be staying at the Holiday Inn at Fishermans Wharf is that close to your school?
Does anybody Know of any places to visit outside the obvious tourist haunts
look forward to anyone who might want to meet up for a beer etc
regards
Peter

rubthebuddha
01-16-2003, 11:46 PM
why, chinatown, of course. where else you gonna eat?

PQS
01-17-2003, 01:44 AM
Mmmmm, Bacon Sammiches and special fried rice
regards
Peter

aelward
01-17-2003, 10:10 AM
I don't recommend going to Chinatown to eat, because most of the places there are tourist traps that really stink. Same with Fisherman's Wharf, whis is even worse in terms of prices and food quality.

If you DO eat in Chinatown, then go to R&G (Kearny and Clay) -- it is a tad bit more expensive than the otherwise cheap prices, but the food is pretty good. For cheap noodles that are decent, try Utopia Cafe (Waverly and Washington). For OK fare that is a little overpriced, then try Washington Cafe (Washington and Kearny). There is also a nice little reasonably priced Vietnamese place on the west side of Portsmouth Square, as well. The frequently touted House of Nanking has super small servings of fake Chinese food. It isn't bad, though.

For good Chinese food, check out Clement Street in the Richmond or Irving Street in the Sunset; look in the windows of the various restaurants and see if Chinese are eating there! They aren't as easy to get to, though.

Have fun in SF!

John Weiland
01-17-2003, 02:23 PM
Ken Chung's 2002 Wing Chun camp attendees ate here beforehand last year:

Parc Hong Kong Restaurant
5322 Geary Boulevard
San Francisco.
tel. 415-668-8998
(cross street 18th Ave.)

I thought it was very good and easy to find. Better than anything I've found in Chinatown.

You are invited to visit Ken's affiliated schools if you have time. 50 miles South of Frisco to San Jose Wing Chun.

Click here to visit the schools' websites (http://www.bawcsa.org/)

Regards,

PQS
01-20-2003, 04:53 AM
Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.
I'm hoping to attend Bay Mountain school whilst I am there
if you don't mind I'll post a link on my instructors site.
Is the school anywhere near Fishermans wharf?
and do they sell decent beer in America?
Regards
Peter

Grendel
01-20-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by PQS

Is the school anywhere near Fishermans wharf?

I don't know about the school's location, but you can get decent food at Fisherman's wharf at most of the little vendors. I can't vouch for the big restaurants, but I'm skeptical of the value/cost relationship.

and do they sell decent beer in America?

Yes, but like anywhere, the most popular brands aren't the best. Try a brew pub or boutique brewery offerings. My personal favorite is Red Hook ESB (extra special bitter).

Visit Redhook Brewery (http://www.redhook.com/index2.html)

Good luck and enjoy your visit.

Rolling_Hand
01-20-2003, 07:08 PM
<<Is the school anywhere near Fishermans wharf?>>

One of Sifu Ken Chung's students has been teaching WCK at

Fishermans Wharf. His name is Patrick Au, a friend of mine who

had trained under Au for a month.

Grendel
01-20-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Rolling_Hand
<<Is the school anywhere near Fishermans wharf?>>

One of Sifu Ken Chung's students has been teaching WCK at

Fishermans Wharf. His name is Patrick Au, a friend of mine who

had trained under Au for a month.

Does your friend have a link to a web page for Patrick? I couldn't find a link from searching.

Patrick had gotten his primary Wing Chun training from Wong Si Wing. Wong Si Wing was the brother of Wong Kiu, someone whom Ken had known in Hong Kong back at the beginning of his training. Patrick's a good teacher but is no longer closely affiliated with Ken. Patrick has taken another path since learning Taijiquan.

A former student of Patrick and current student of Ben Der and Ken Chung, Steve Leung, co-teaches Wing Chun in Union City, a short drive south of San Francisco.

Click here to view the Union City Wing Chun web site (http://128.32.250.15/~sjeung/wingchun/class.html)

Rolling_Hand
01-20-2003, 09:54 PM
<<Patrick's a good teacher but is no longer closely affiliated with Ken. Patrick has taken another path since learning Taijiquan.>>

Patrick Au is an underground WCK teacher, and he does mix his WCK with taiji Chi Kung.

PQS
02-18-2003, 01:40 AM
Wingtsunmonk,
I have sent an email to the address on your website
is it still o.k. to attend a training session at the Saturday class on the 15th of March? also could I purchase some T shirts as souvineres?
Regards
Peter