PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with me!!?

Viper555
01-14-2003, 07:40 PM
Ok, for about a month my forarms had started hurting whenever I would start working on punching the bag,especially when doing forearm strikes.After awhile of this I went to the doctor and they said that I had minor contusions to keep ice on it for two weeks and rest my arms.I did this and what happens??Nothing,it still hurts to puch and now when I do a backfist in the air it hurts at the bottom of my biceps(for lack of better description).I haven't worked on my arms in two weeks and if this doesn't heal up i'm afraid i'll start to lose some of my arm strength.Does anyone know what is going on here and what I should do about it?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Viper555
01-14-2003, 08:55 PM
Anybody?? Another thing I just noticed, whenever I shake up my medidcine it hurts below the elbow but on the top and bottom of the arm.What is up with that?!That's the first time anything like this has ever happened to me.Could someone please shed some light on this?

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-14-2003, 09:19 PM
you have cancer. draw a will and make peace with the idea of dying.

Cheese Dog
01-14-2003, 10:19 PM
Viper555; you could try another doctor for a second opinion. You could also try a chiropractor or physical therapist. A good chiro can manipulate bones anywhere, not just your spine. I have a recurring problem in my left elbow, where one of the forearm bones slips out of place and causes pain similiar to some of your symptoms. My chiro simply "pops" it back into place and it's fine for weeks or months at a time.

SevenStar
01-14-2003, 10:57 PM
also kinda sounds like tendonitis

Repulsive Monkey
01-15-2003, 03:30 AM
It does rather sound like where the tendons insert into the bone i.e. the bicep onto the olecranon/forearm condyles could be slightly inflammed. This would account for the type of movement/pain sensation you mention somewhat. It could be (from a TCM perspective) Qi stagnation in the muscle from repititve or overly excessive work outs.

Viper555
01-15-2003, 03:43 AM
I don't think it's from over excessive workouts since I haven't really worked out my arms at for about 2 weeks now.I guess i'll just go to another doctor.

No_Know
01-15-2003, 04:55 AM
On tendonitis (https://www.yourhealth.com/ahl/2109.html)

morbicid
01-15-2003, 05:59 AM
here's a crazy idea.... give your body some time to heal itself!!! Unless you require surgury, the only thing the doctors can do for you, besides take your money and let u know exactly what you did to yourself, is they'll tell you to stop hitting things and give your limbs some rest. Whatever you hurt, the damage is done, the only cure for that is time. If if hurts to do something, dont do it. Its your body's way of letting you know something is wrong.
You say you took 2 weeks off of training, but that's really not a lot of time. I had some pretty bad pain in my elbow a while back. I didnt flip out and start running to hospitals, I simply took about a month and a half off of training. When my arm felt better, I eased myself back into some light training. And (surprise!!), my elbow felt good as new when I started training hard again.

vamierr
01-15-2003, 06:10 AM
originally posted by morbicid - "here's a crazy idea.... give your body some time to heal itself!!! Unless you require surgury, the only thing the doctors can do for you, besides take your money and let u know exactly what you did to yourself, is they'll tell you to stop hitting things and give your limbs some rest. Whatever you hurt, the damage is done, the only cure for that is time. If if hurts to do something, dont do it. Its your body's way of letting you know something is wrong.
You say you took 2 weeks off of training, but that's really not a lot of time. I had some pretty bad pain in my elbow a while back. I didnt flip out and start running to hospitals, I simply took about a month and a half off of training. When my arm felt better, I eased myself back into some light training. And (surprise!!), my elbow felt good as new when I started training hard again."

Those are the words of a softy!!! Dont listen to him! Dont stoop to his level and let your body weaken. My advice is that you arent training hard enough. Your body is aching because it is getting lazy and tired of the same workout all the time, and you most likely havent been pushing it hard enough. Pain is just something you need to deal with if you want to get better, its the price we pay. You should continue hitting the bag with 100% intensity. If your arms are b*tching and moaning about it, show them how nice you were really being to them before. Personally, I would stop hitting the bag, and progress to hitting a solid target (probably wood), this will allow calcium to build up in the bones and strengthen them, then go back to hitting the bag after about a week of this. You may notice that the bag is now NO PROBLEM after hitting solid wood.

Ish
01-15-2003, 06:30 AM
Nice 1 vamierr, thatt was a great post really cheered me up.

Viper555
01-15-2003, 03:26 PM
Dude, I didn't rush to a hospital,it lasted a month before I want to the DOCTOR.They told me I had MINOR contusions and that a week would be more than enough time for them to heal up.I took two just to be safe and they are just the same as they were before.There's no way i'm resting for a month and letting all the strength in my arms go down the ****ter.

fa_jing
01-15-2003, 03:30 PM
Your strength won't increase by all that much if you take a month off. Also, have you tried performing deep-tissue massage on yourself?

prana
01-15-2003, 04:04 PM
I dont usually talk like this but here goes.

You sound like one of those insecure manic training geeks out there. I was once like that, wanting to be strong and win the competition outright. I would train until everything hirts and then I would go back for more.

At the end, I tore all my contracting muscles in my left arm, and ripped a few tendons on my right. My elbow has lost much movement due to the increasing monkey posture. And my scar tissues are still there. 5 years on, I still get sharp pains when using my fingers.

2 weeks is nothing, 2 months is nothing. Try being forced to take 2 years off climbing, when you are at the top of the rankings, then you tell me.

Learn some discipline before its too late.

Back on topic : it sounds like tendonitist hehehe from constant repetitive movements. After the initial 2 weeks of applying cold, if any internal bleeding or swelling is subdued, light massage and heat might be a good idea. And take it easy going back to training, warm up slow and take extra time. Your muscles will thank you for it, and you will be back stronger than ever.

I wish you best of luck.

Repulsive Monkey
01-15-2003, 04:07 PM
well said brother.

Laughing Cow
01-15-2003, 04:36 PM
viper555.

If it is tendonitis take it easy, it can take a looong time to heal. And some injuries will keep reminding you the rest of your life whenever the weather changes.

My advise is see a proper sports doctor NOT a GP or similar. They are not trained to diagnose/treat that type of injury.

Being young and fit does not mean that you will recover that much quicker or that you won't seriously injured.
Forget the tough man attitude you get given 1 body for your whole life, take care of it.

Also find out what exactly caused your injury bad tech, wrong alignement, o ver-training, etc after that get someone knowledgeable to supervise you and give constant corrections.

I have seen many guys in many sports that train wrong, get an Injury, heal up and than keep training making the same mistakes that caused the Injury.

Presto, here it comes again only worse.

Take it easy. According to your profile you are now 22, still many years of good and correct training left. At the same time be also aware that your Body in some in some aspects is already past it's peak.

Hope you will get better soon.

Viper555
01-15-2003, 07:37 PM
Actually i'm 14,apparently I made a typo in the profile.I'll go ahead and rest my arms for a month. Another thing that I just noticed is that there are about 5 cists built up over the spot on my left arm.

BTW:What are those massages you were talking about and how do I do them?

Viper555
01-15-2003, 07:50 PM
Good point Prana. I'll do that. One other question though.On the website on tendonitis it says to rest it as much as possible.Do you think that it would hurt to do 50 pushups a week(possibly with a couple of other arm exercises).On mondays and wednesdays(25 a day) in class.I gues I can take this time off to work out the other parts of body a little harder.

I'm not completely sure how I did this but a friend and I were sparring and he got mad and started kicking as hard as he could and my arms hurt for about 2 days after that from blocking them.After those two days though they seemed to be fine.That was about 4 months ago.About two months after that my arms started stinging in that area pretty bad but that went away pretty quickly too.And now this.I'm not sure if that's what happened but it seems like the most likely to me seeing as how i've only had my bag since christmas and have just started using it recently(that's when I first noticed the pain).

Oh yeah,thanks to whoever it was that gave me the link to the tendonitis website and everyone else on thsi thread.

morbicid
01-15-2003, 07:54 PM
Your only 14 and your already pis$ing and moaning like an old woman!!! Softy!! What kind of man are you supposed to grow up to be saying "ohhh my arm hurts"? Tape it up and jump back in there! The pain is all in your head lad. It's your body's way of trying to make excuses to make you stop training because it just doesnt want to do the work. When I was your age I punched the bag every day even if my arms were broken! Seriously though, in my honest opinion, I would suggest numbing them with an ice pack for about 25 minutes before you hit the bag with full intensity, this will numb the pain and help you ignore your injury. Do not stop training until your arms simply FAIL to perform punches. Nevermind the pain, if you are capable of hitting that **** bag, DO IT!!! All of your friends will be able to kick your @ss soon if you keep taking time off of training. Think about THAT!

You wanna do massages on yourself now too?? You twisted young man!!! Get your mind back on training.... you are getting weaker by the moment. Every day that you take off, your arms are gonna be getting weaker and scrawny.

prana
01-15-2003, 08:12 PM
I am not a massage man, but some massage you could do include...

1. cross fibre masage at the base of your muscles. For me, my target area is usually same the inner forearms right next to the elbow.

2. The physio throughly recommends to remove scar tissue, constantly massaging the muscles towards the elbow (on the forearm). I think the intention here is generally the direction of your veins blood flow.

Other things like dipping in a warm bath, if you have the luxury of it (I dont, someone wanna make me a millionaire ?)

and probably something most atheletes hate doing, STRETCH and WARM UP!

ricksitterly
01-15-2003, 08:16 PM
You are a sick, sick man morbicid. But you are right... Viper just needs to suck it up and be man. Start training like a man and stop all your whining!! ...... no just kidding.

If you really are only 14, you need not worry about "building strength" or "losing strength". Your body is slowly , but naturally, increasing its strength every year as you mature. You do not need to lift weights to stimulate growth. Working out to the point where you get the pains you are getting can actually stunt your growth and cause all sorts of damage. Take my word for it, when I was your age, I spent a LOT of time lifting weights every day after school. My strength and size went NOWHERE until I hit about 18 yr old. It was very frustrating during those years between 14 and 18. I was only 130 pounds back then and was putting my body through he!l week after week trying to increase my bench press, curls, all that good stuff. What I should have been doing is eating well to aid my body in its natural growth. That is what you should focus on at this point, your diet. Eat plenty of good food, and dont push your body too hard while working out. Take a couple months off if you have to, trust me time is not of the essence at this point in your life. :) Tendonitis is common among young people who put too much stress of their muscles(which are underdeveloped). I remember several wrestlers in high school getting tendonitis. When the muscles are being pushed beyond their limits, the stress goes to the joints. Also, high impact training puts a LOT of stress on the joints as well (such as hitting the bag). Um.. that's it, heal up, be safe, eat lots.

Laughing Cow
01-15-2003, 08:20 PM
morbicid.

You sure you are 33yrs old and got " 5yrs wing chun with some boxing experience ".

So far since you signed up you made 7 posts with little or no value to anybody.

To be honest you sound more like a scrawny teenage TROLL with small chest, no pecs that dreams too much about being the big tough guy on the block and maybe some day real soon getting laid.

BTW, still would like to see you doing the "Chi head exploding demo" on your OWN head. But not prepared to fork out $29.99 for that pleasure.

Have fun.

ricksitterly
01-15-2003, 08:30 PM
Hey! I paid morbicid good money to learn how I can get head explodee too ( I still dont have females gravitated toward my chi and doing my "wet, evil bidding"). I want my money back, I think I got ripped off. My one question is, if its just u and him, and you give him the 29.99 and he's gonna do the demonstration, WHO's head is gonna explode? Seems like this is one demo that you only get to see once... and then it's all over.

Laughing Cow
01-15-2003, 08:35 PM
ricksitterly.

No worries, my Sifu taught me how to protect myself against such an attack.

He learned it from a mystic sage that we cannot name due to a vow he took and I am the first non-tibetan that he taught the skill too.

For ONLY $79.99 I will send you the Intro tape.
Of course you will need the advanced and masters tapes too, but I will throw a FREE "Grandmasters Big Poopa" Certificate in for KFO members.

:D :p :D

Viper555
01-16-2003, 04:49 AM
Actually I've been making fairly good and steady gains in my strength over the last 6 months or so.I went from 120 to 160 on my benchpress and am well on my way to 170(well,was)and I haven't maxed out on anything else yet.

So, do you guys think it would hurt if I hit the bag softly just to practice technique,no real speed or strength behind it and would it be a problem for me to go ahead and do the class workout twice a week?

prana
01-16-2003, 04:57 AM
trust me I know how much you WANT to get back into training. But you ought to rest it completely for like 2 weeks at least with tendonitist. Actually it is more like 6 weeks since tendons dont get as much blood supply as muscles do.

See one cause of tendonist is constant repetitive movement of a muscle tendon group. Hence moving it back and forth whilst its already inflamed, is not beneficial to your recovery. You'll just end up with useless scar tissues...

The other things you might notice is this, sometimes mental training helps your motor neurons develop even if you are not "doing" the exercise physically, we Chinese chingkees call it "Yi".

Yi is good :) Practise Yi :) Yi is good for your mind :)