Hey Joe, long time!

dezhen2001
01-15-2003, 05:42 PM
:confused:

joe: u been lurking all this time? :D hope you are well buddy

dawood

joedoe
01-15-2003, 05:45 PM
Hey fellas. Haven't been lurking - been on holiday for 3 weeks. Went to the US to visit friends and family. Had a great time.

Hope you guys had a good Xmas and a Happy New Year.

dezhen2001
01-15-2003, 05:47 PM
cool buddy, all is the same here (kfo).. i had a good holiday period too :)

dawood

Serpent
01-15-2003, 05:48 PM
Welcome back, bro.

So, what's all this about Jim Fung then? He ain't all that...

joedoe
01-15-2003, 05:54 PM
He ain't at all. In fact one of our students went to see one of his classes and - how can I put this politely - he has not decided to go learn from Jim Fung.

Serpent
01-15-2003, 06:01 PM
I went by once and asked about his classes, just out of interest. I often swing by schools to check them out. Fung spent about ten minutes trying to sell me his instructor's course, assuring me I'd be a qualified istructor in two years and that the course was fully AusStudy (student loan) compatible, etc. It was all about the $$$, man.

Then I watched a class for a while and chuckled all the way home.

joedoe
01-15-2003, 06:23 PM
Well, let's just say that I have never been impressed by his demos and my classmate said that he didn't have much power. To make things worse, when my classmate asked if he could see how Wing Chun dealt with a straight punch, Jim Fung asked him if that was a challenge.

dezhen2001
01-15-2003, 06:58 PM
gonna have to hook up with u guys if i come to sydney sometime:)

dawood

joedoe
01-15-2003, 07:23 PM
All you gotta do is let us know when you are coming. :)

dezhen2001
01-15-2003, 07:37 PM
as soon as i know i will let u know :D (a lot of things are hanging in the balance right now)

dawood

Serpent
01-15-2003, 07:39 PM
Another thing about Fung is that outside his school in Chinatown is a picture of him doing a sidekick. This is obviously designed to sell the school to prospective students, but it is simply the most badly executed side kick I've ever seen! His arms are flailing, his back is turned, his hips are... ridiculous, his rooting leg is not rooted and turned out. Just awful...

Andoi's gone quiet, eh.

joedoe
01-15-2003, 07:51 PM
Is Andoi a student of Jim Fung's?

I don't know how good Fung is - I have only seen him at demos and he didn't seem that amazing. He was pretty quick but apart from that there was nothing all that special.

My classmate on the other hand was graced by a few demos from Jim Fung - 1 inch punch, blocking etc. He wasn't impressed at all, especially when Jim Fung accused him of issuing a challenge.

andoi
01-16-2003, 05:23 AM
and you guys dont find that amazing??????

SevenStar
01-16-2003, 02:09 PM
I'm sure they did

joedoe
01-16-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by andoi

Which bit are you expecting us to find amazing?

If you are a student of Jim Fung's, I am not trying to make fun of him or put him down. I try to avoid bagging out other martial artists as much as I can. I am just relating my observations of him and those of my classmate. I have never touched hands with him so I don't know how good he really is.

So are you one of his students/instructors? Care to share your experiences with him?

dezhen2001
01-16-2003, 03:21 PM
still confused :confused:

dawood

fa_jing
01-16-2003, 03:43 PM
I read a pretty good article by him in a Wing Chun magazine, on the Bon Sao. I'm sure he's skilled as his name is well-known. His sidekicks are, well, his sidekicks - I think I know the photo of which you speak. It didn't seem like bad form to me - it just didn't seem like Wing Chun. Now, I don't like to hear about aggressive selling tactics in the MA world, because I've been on the losing end of one of those before. So just because he's a good Martial Artist doesn't mean he isn't a dirty salesman.

Serpent
01-16-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by andoi

Heh heh. I think Andoi is actually agreeing with us here! ;)

joedoe
01-16-2003, 05:05 PM
Hmmm. Wasn't sure if he was serious about Jim Fung being amazing or if he was taking the p!ss. Just hedging my bets and playing the PC game :).

Serpent
01-16-2003, 05:18 PM
Fair enough. I haven't crossed hands with him myself, so I can't say he's a crap martial artist. However, I have spoken to him and it was all about guaranteed instructorship in two, "You could open your own school!", and all about the $$$'s involved. That made me really annoyed, especially as he wasn't interested in my questions about his style or his teaching.

Then I watched a class. When I check out other schools, I always look for the advanced students and see how they perform to get an idea of what's being taught. The advanced students in this class I watched were pretty indistinguishable form teh beginners! :eek:

*shrug*

Buyer beware, that's my advice.

jon
01-16-2003, 05:48 PM
Been there several times.
Have not been really impressed with there kung fu as of yet.
Certainly have some first rate marketing.
I cant complain about the way i was treated either, very polite and easy going.
Ive been to both classes and just to chat and try to get them to join in with various events we are organising.

One assistant told me that they could not compete in San Shoa becouse there art was totaly geared to kill and contained mainly finger jabs and groin and knee shots. It was almost like something out of a fairy tale, i just kinda stood there dumbfounded. I finaly managed to mumble " you really should just put some gloves on and give it a try(meaning the San Shoa). Then i left still not quite sure if the guy was having me on, it was honestly the first time ive heard someone professing to be an instructor try to tell me there art was all about finger pokes and crippling stomp kicks.

Ive also had another assistant tell me during one of there classes a long time a go that there trademark hourglass stance could be used to effectively block groin kicks:rolleyes:
I actualy considered doing there instructor course but after about three lessons i saw many things i *really* didnt like and left. Ive been back many times since on all kinds of silly erands or special interest calls.

Still i cant cry foul on the entire organisation, ive just personaly not had great experiences with them. Could also be i just dont understand why they do things the way they do. Im a big fan of some of the other WC schools around though - noteably Rick Spain's gym.

TaoBoy
01-16-2003, 05:54 PM
Do I smell sarcasm?

I've never met Mr. Fung so I will not comment on his kung fu or his motivations. However, his most recent advertising campaign in Blitz leaves a lot to be desired. It features two shots of the one inch punch (before and after). Now look here, if you stand in front of me holding a phone book, with your feet together I could certainly send you across the room too. All this with < 5 years of internal training. Egad! :rolleyes:

Serpent
01-16-2003, 06:06 PM
Jon, I hear you. Rick Spain is awesome, even though I'm not a big fan of WC.

Taoboy, I've seen that demo from so many places! It amazes me that even regular members of the public don't see straight through it! :rolleyes:

sammac
11-07-2004, 03:42 PM
Hello All
My first post:)
I live on the Gold Coast, and my choices of kungfu schools is limted to 2, well 3 if iwant to learn Wushu Mantis. Anyways, I searched the net for more info in Sifu Jim Fung, but couldnt find much, except the aust webpage. I wish the video on the homepage was more inspiring, wished that Sifu Jim couldve given more of a demo, just saw the 1inch punch. I am still confused, but I think wing chun is for me...:)
cheers
Sam

Serpent
11-07-2004, 07:09 PM
Woah! Zombie thread invasion!

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!

sammac
11-08-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Serpent
Woah! Zombie thread invasion!

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!

:D WTF hehehe
I guess in Sydney you would have a better choice of WC schools. I was searching the net the other day... it like out of some kungfu movie ....

In the past, martial artists in Cambodia were very traditional. If someone opened a new martial arts school, he would be paid a visit by all of the other masters, who would want to fight him. My friend, Chiva who is the head instructor of the Yuthkun Kung Fu club, in Phnom Penh , told me. "My brother walked into a new school, and challenged the master. The fight was over in five seconds. My brother used snake to beat tiger. But very fast! The next day, the school was closed."

"My brother used snake to beat tiger?" I thought I had just stepped into a low budget Kung Fu film. But, apparently, this was the attitude in Cambodia ten years ago

Serpent
11-08-2004, 04:51 PM
It should be the same here - Jim Fung would be long gone!

:eek: ;)

sammac
11-08-2004, 06:15 PM
That would be funny:D hehehehe.

8.7MB
http://www.wing-chun.com.au/multimedia/open%20day/openday_hi.wmv (jim fung school open day hi res)

3.7MB
http://www.wing-chun.com.au/multimedia/open%20day/openday_low.wmv (jim fung school open day low res)

Great video from www.leungting.com :)

www.leungting.com/new_videos/2r_384k.wmv (Wing Chun demo)