PDA

View Full Version : dc metro folks

apoweyn
01-15-2003, 08:04 AM
to the dc metro folks:

merryprankster and me are going to get together for some sparring on friday evening. third power gym in adam's morgan. at 6:00pm. so we figured we'd see if anyone felt like joining us. it's about $12 to get in.

shaolintiger, no_know, whomever else...

come and help me start the long road back to fighting shape by mercilessly beating me around the head and shoulders. or just stand on the sidelines shouting, "yer trainin' like a bum, ya bum!" i'll leave that bit up to you.

stuart b.

red5angel
01-15-2003, 08:09 AM
shouldn't that be Merryprankster and I?

;)

Merryprankster
01-15-2003, 08:10 AM
Red, shouldn't that be Merryprankster and I?

Don't hold us to the $12. I'm pretty sure that's all it is on a per use, vice membership basis.

ShaolinTiger00
01-15-2003, 08:15 AM
I believe I can do that!
email me guys!

Stranger
01-15-2003, 08:20 AM
ap,

I'll be in Nashville. If you want I can give you a call before you leave to train and tell you your a bum and a huge disappointment to your parents.

apoweyn
01-15-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by red5angel
shouldn't that be Merryprankster and I?

;)

er, no. you're in minnesota, red5. duh.

stuart b.

apoweyn
01-15-2003, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Stranger
ap,

I'll be in Nashville. If you want I can give you a call before you leave to train and tell you your a bum and a huge disappointment to your parents.

well, by all means tell me i'm a bum. but my parents already called, so that part's taken care of.

:)

seriously, though, hopefully next time stranger.

stuart b.

apoweyn
01-15-2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by ShaolinTiger00
I believe I can do that!
email me guys!

you've got mail... or will, shortly.

stuart b.

[EDIT: i take that back. i think my system bounced your email back to me. if you've got my address (or james' address), drop us a line. and we can figure out what's wrong with the address i've got (or whether it's just our system). cheers bill.]

red5angel
01-15-2003, 08:37 AM
**** you guys and your getting together to kick each others asses!! There needs to be more of that here in the midwest!!

apoweyn
01-15-2003, 08:42 AM
shaolintiger,

scratch that last post. merryprankster has your other email address. i'd forgotten about that one. mea culpa.

we'll be in touch shortly.

stuart b.

Suntzu
01-15-2003, 08:51 AM
uggggghhh… I hate driving in DC… now if I brave all that fu(ked up traffic and confusing azz streetz… I'm kickin somebody azz… and I know Yahoo maps is gonna give me some all-around the world directions

nogawdd@mnspamKIMBROWR@hotmail.com….

apoweyn
01-15-2003, 09:00 AM
suntzu,

you've got mail (assuming that i got the address right, that is.)

ShaolinTiger00
01-15-2003, 10:52 AM
Suntzu - save yourself some driving: take car to New Carrolton metro stop. park. take orange line to metro center. change to redline going towards shady grove road. adams morgan stop is about 5 stops after metro center.

just a thought if driving is a huge problem.

Suntzu
01-15-2003, 11:04 AM
naw not a HUGE problem… I just hate driving in DC… yall streets and such SUCK… all those circles and detours:mad:

ShaolinTiger00
01-15-2003, 12:15 PM
Were you aware that the city was designed that way on purpose? Keeps the badguys from marching right down the road to the Capitol.

watch your mouth call circles and one way streets lame!

apoweyn
01-15-2003, 12:20 PM
'the bad guys' meaning 'the british.' and you can rest well assured that it works like a charm.

stuart b.

Suntzu
01-15-2003, 12:25 PM
Now ST… I would puff my chest out and talk alotta ish for 'talkin' to me like that…… but u kinda a big dude so…… they are LAME:eek:

apoweyn
01-15-2003, 12:29 PM
so far, we've got:

merryprankster
shaolintiger
suntzu, and
apoweyn

jowbacca? you out there?

stuart b.

Jowbacca
01-15-2003, 01:19 PM
Awww maaaannn
I was supposed to be the ominous, nameless lurker... and now I need to roll a 17 or higher on my "evil bad dude" attribute to disappear back into the shadows. :D

Happy BDay to MP btw... was gonna start a thread yesterday but as I only lurk anymore, I was hopin someone else would.

I'd like to take a moment to pay homage to the UFC game on the GameCube. This is probly why we have not seen hair nor hide of our best friend Ralek. Just wish they woulda consulted with a kung fu guy in designing kung fu moves for the career mode....unless all human beings that go into the octagon really DO have to fight with the exact same techniques.

As for going, I'll probly have to ask my mommy. ;) Big brother may wanna come too, if that's not a prollem. If I can come it'll probly only be for like an hour or so, more if I can swing it.

Oh yah and I'll prolly have to keep my old fashioned ideas to myself as I dun wanna catch no guff.

Finally gettin over an illness that held a brutha down for the past week and a half. I'll try to take it a lil easy the rest of the week, so it don't come back by friday.

Can I bring my dog?

apoweyn
01-15-2003, 02:20 PM
by 'dog' do you mean 'gym bag'?

Jowbacca
01-15-2003, 02:59 PM
no i meant my dog... she's like a half-sized boxer, probly a lil pit. i'm pretty sure she could take half of you... She's my runnin partner too so she could prolly help whip ya into shape. :D

joedoe
01-15-2003, 03:45 PM
D@mmit I just came back to Oz from there - I spent 2 weeks in Annandale Va.

LEGEND
01-15-2003, 03:57 PM
Sorry. Will be clubbing on Friday at HOMEs. Plus parking in Adam's Morgan is a biatch! Have fun guys.

No_Know
01-15-2003, 10:14 PM
For all the birthday people of January I have not hoped Happy birthday, Happy Birthday!

At least three January birthday-ers there on Friday...Awesome. I hope it's still only $12.

Serpent
01-15-2003, 10:20 PM
apoweyn, you're a bum.

Merryprankster
01-16-2003, 04:09 AM
There may be a small additional fee for the open sparring, but I don't know how much. We may be paying for gym use fee AND for the open sparring, is what I'm trying to say, but still, likely worth it. Open sparring is from 6:30 to 8:00pm, according to the website. I need to be home by 8:30, meself. FWIW, the adams morgan metro isn't that close to the gym. Walkable, probably, but you'd kinda need to know how to get there :D

Their headgear, and gloves, etc, are somewhat rudimentary, but adequate. I would advise bringing your own of whatever it is your kinda partial too. If I had open face, amateur boxing headgear, I'd bring that. I think their stuff has the face bar across it. I have Fairtex shinpads and I can swipe Nicole's ringside boxing gloves (gotta love a woman who OWNS boxing gloves...) I have MMA gloves and hand wraps. I can also scrounge up thai pads and a thai style belly protector.

I doubt they'll have a problem with 4 or 5 guys showing up to put money in their pocket. These guys do run a business after all, and they've been nothing but professional w/me everytime I've been.

Any preexisting injuries?

Thanks for the birthday wishes.

Oso
01-16-2003, 05:44 AM
Awww maaaannn
I was supposed to be the ominous, nameless lurker... and now I need to roll a 17 or higher on my "evil bad dude" attribute to disappear back into the shadows.

nice, you failed it at least once though.

MP, what's the website???

matt

brothernumber9
01-16-2003, 11:11 AM
whats the web site for this place? and wich street is it on? is it closer to 18th or 16th, on columbia or what? I can only imagine, go fight, get banged up, then run over to heaven & hell and start a new dance craze when all i'm trying to do is limp over to the bar.

apoweyn
01-16-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Serpent
apoweyn, you're a bum.

it's true, god help me! [sob]

apoweyn
01-16-2003, 11:26 AM
http://www.thirdpower-fitness.com/

apoweyn
01-16-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Jowbacca
no i meant my dog... she's like a half-sized boxer, probly a lil pit. i'm pretty sure she could take half of you... She's my runnin partner too so she could prolly help whip ya into shape. :D

well, what i know personally about this gym or the surrounding area wouldn't fit into a particularly small thimble. so [shrug] i have no idea.

but i'm inclined to say bring her. i'll need someone to watch my back. and i don't trust a one of you clowns to do it.

Suntzu
01-16-2003, 12:25 PM
I can only imagine, go fight, get banged up, then run over to heaven & hell and start a new dance craze when all i'm trying to do is limp over to the bar. that sounds like a helluva Friday nite… I guess I'll need to bring a change of clothes… do they have towel service at third power???

alright these are the directions I got… I'm coming from columbia…

29---> lft on 16th---> rt on Florida ---> 18th street

sounds about right????

apoweyn
01-16-2003, 12:49 PM
well, i know shaolintiger and merryprankster already. but the rest of you guys, i've never met. so to avoid anyone having to wander around the gym going, "psst... you merryprankster?", here's a handy dandy KFO'er recognition card:

(p.s. i'd have put shaolintiger on there too, but i didn't have a picture handy. no offence, bill.)

Suntzu
01-16-2003, 12:55 PM
that is toooo funny…… mine aint that clear tho…

apoweyn
01-16-2003, 01:00 PM
that'll work, suntzu.

you look tall. you tall?

Suntzu
01-16-2003, 01:05 PM
only if your 4'11"…… I'm like 5'8"… and a HALF…

apoweyn
01-16-2003, 01:16 PM
good. i'm fed up with being 6'1" and still being the shortest cat in the room. all my friends are freaking monoliths.

ShaolinTiger00
01-16-2003, 02:16 PM
me or a guy who looks like me (http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid40/p083c57d7bb31cc83adcc2c8d2b1ee533/fd00c866.jpg)

apoweyn
01-16-2003, 02:22 PM
THAT'S the pic i was thinking of, yeah.

stuart b.

Suntzu
01-16-2003, 02:36 PM
I'm good for tommorrow… unless it snows and I don’t post on this board… in that case I'm home on the coach… sleep…

No_Know
01-16-2003, 05:05 PM
(202) 483-8408 seems to be what I called to find out some stuff.

The metro stops near there are Dupont Circle And Woodly Park/Zoo.

The Connecticut Avenue side of the zoo stop you go less than a block; left on Calvert; cross a bridge; winding road; right at intersection to 18th and Columbia; go down two traffic lights; the gym is just before you get to 18th and Florida Avenue. 2007 is the street number.

Equipment is free to use. Friday, 6 30 to 8 00 p.m. is open ring. $12 to use the ring-ish (No_Know what they called this charge.) Directions from someone else. Other information from Julia.

So (needle-and-thread), brothernumber9 it is above 18th and Florida on 18th...that's where I'll be looking. Unless I see you at lion dancing or before a demo I can show you about that Head Self-defense on another thread. :-)

And I look a something like the image attached.

No_Know
01-17-2003, 12:15 AM
You know how like I look, yet it seems that I am unlikely to be there at this Now.

Stop the legs at the feet and shins. Hit the attack, at dependant regions. learn how your joints work, there's arelikely nearly the same-like.

Now you can beat them all, apoweyn.

Be well.

apoweyn
01-17-2003, 07:41 AM
Now you can beat them all, apoweyn.

if by 'beat' you mean 'cough on' then, yeah, i've got it covered.

cheers no_know.

Suntzu
01-17-2003, 08:06 AM
D@mmit… it didn't snow enuff… so I had to come to work… so is that $12 ring use on top of the other $12 to use the gym… or just $12…

No_Know
01-17-2003, 08:09 AM
I meant be victorious. Since you don't see how, I'll just have to bring mixed and chilled Jell-o. The proof 'll be in the pudding.

Whether it'll be putting my foot in my mouth or money where my mouth is, is yet to be determined.

ReQu might come to the gathering. Is that O.K. with people? She would not spar. Just come to watch.

I hope to find out that I No_Know.

Merryprankster
01-17-2003, 08:15 AM
Everytime I've been, it's only been $12 straight. I'd bring $24 just in case.

If you are taking the metro (generic you), come plenty early. Trust me.

apoweyn
01-17-2003, 08:36 AM
no_know,

my old boss used to tell us that 'the truth is in the pudding.' of course, my old boss was dumber than the shoes i'm wearing right now. so there you have it.

i haven't seen reg in ages. it'd be good to see her again. it's fine with me if she comes. i don't know whether spectators will have to pay or not though. sounds like you've talked with them on the phone. what's the word?

stuart b.

No_Know
01-17-2003, 09:33 AM
It seems $12 is to use the ring. Didn't ask about fees for just being there.

The Ring costs $40 per hour to reserve. When not open (ring).

Julia said they have all the equipment when I said it would be used for sparring. No charge for equipment use (my understanding).

It's at least two blocks from Woodley Park-Zoo Metro station.

Whoever would like to verify~ The gym's telephone number should be (202) 483-8408 .

FatherDog
01-19-2003, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by Merryprankster
and I can swipe Nicole's ringside boxing gloves (gotta love a woman who OWNS boxing gloves...)

**** you, MP. :D

Hey, anytime y'all are up in Jersey...

SevenStar
01-19-2003, 09:00 AM
Seems like most of the good women are in jersey!

Oso
01-20-2003, 09:33 AM
so where is the fight report???

we want details (or at least I do)

who showed and who was the nightly champ?

any video?

apoweyn
01-20-2003, 09:49 AM
we didn't get as far as actually duking it out this time. but we did get some good throwing and takedown practice. and we'll definitely be going there again soon.

who showed: merryprankster, shaolintiger, jowbacca, no_know, and suntzu.

merryprankster and shaolintiger grappled for a bit. both know what they're doing on the ground.

then i got a lesson in sprawling (merryprankster), kick catches, and takedowns (shaolintiger).

we also got some padwork in for boxing.

from a personal standpoint, it was good to meet jowbacca and suntzu for the first time, as well as hang with no_know, shaolintiger, and merryprankster again.

jowbacca took to throwing like a fish to water. suntzu is jackrabbit quick. looking forward to seeing both of them again.

the only disappointment was that we didn't have time to get to the sparring. next time.

stuart b.

Oso
01-20-2003, 09:57 AM
cool, thanks ap.

I hope to run up there next time I'm in Richmond to visit family.

sounds like good training

matt

apoweyn
01-20-2003, 10:12 AM
no worries oso.

honestly, i'm not sorry that we didn't get around to sparring this time. collectively, those guys are no slouches. and i'll need to be in better form than i was on friday to avoid getting traded for cigarettes.

my family is in richmond too, by the way. so i'm down that way quite a bit myself.

stuart b.

Oso
01-20-2003, 10:24 AM
I used to get up to Richmond 3 or 4 times a year but haven't
been since July 2002 and probably won't get there till late march
this year

but I'll definitely give you a shout...I don't know anyplace to train
in Richmond but I'm not opposed to a park...or the James River
area, I've gone down to the rocks and played forms etc. before

anyways...

Suntzu
01-20-2003, 10:25 AM
me and No_Know sparred around for a lil bit… he reversed splashed me got me up against the ropes… pounded on me… he plays too much with his footwork… but I'm sure if he gets mad he'll run u over like a truck…

I owe MP one… for almost decking me… I gotta a lil scratch across the lips… but he got all that reach… gawd I hate that…

Thanks ST… now I gotta start all over with my throws… u know going in the other directions… so that’s gonna be a summers worth of work…

Ap… I was thinkin…I don’t know why I didn't think about it before… the first hook after the cross… *I* step forward with the right foot on the right hook… might be wrong… but my footwork isn't the best… but it might be something to experiment with…

Jow… I really didn't get to interact with… maybe next time,,,

overall… I had fun… I love the gym… I wish it was closer to where I live… I'm feeling the general area sourrounding the place… next time afterwards I'm gonna hangout… get something to eat… oh yeah… don’t drink the Isopure… or whatever its called… that stuff is horible… I mean ewwww…

apoweyn
01-20-2003, 10:45 AM
suntzu,

what lead did you take? left (orthodox) lead?

i use a right lead. so in that combination, i would've thrown jab (right), cross (left), lead hook (right), rear hook (left). is that correct?

if so, are you talking about stepping into the lead (right) hook with my lead (right) foot? or stepping into the lead (right) hook with the rear (left) foot?

i know that's a bit confused. so if i'm not making any sense now, perhaps you can show me the next time. cheers suntzu.

stuart b.

Suntzu
01-20-2003, 11:02 AM
:eek:
you were stepping into it with the lead and "dragging"(for lack of a better word) the rear… correct???… *I* step forward with the rear… in effect switching stance… for... me orthodox to south… for u… south to orthodox… and on the 2nd hook… the rear steps up and... viola... back to the original stance...:confused:

yeah… I'll just show u next time:(

apoweyn
01-20-2003, 11:28 AM
suntzu,

oof. if that was what i was doing, then no wonder it wasn't going very well. that's terrible.

i think i picture what you're saying. so you step through the target a little bit without turning your back to it. rear foot first, lead foot second.

stuart b.

No_Know
01-20-2003, 05:27 PM
Me and ReQu got there late (40 plus minutes to get parking).

There was constant ThuDDD, THwaThuDDD. Four in the ring, then When I changed and got in with, There was a smoote transitiong of people withing the group sharing and being inviting.

What I got from them or that they showed me or that I noticed from them.

Jowbacca showed me follow through and form techniques Can work used appropriately.

Shaolintiger00 showed me that I have a way to go before I am Strong.

apoweyn and Sun-tzu introduced me to pad drills which I basically hadn't done before.

MerryPrankster showed me focus and training in action.

Sun-tzu also showed me to be thankful for head gear. And showed me weakness in my intercepting with my arms out, strikes.

I also, with at least apoweyn, got to experiment with a guard I hadn't tried before (much).

Serpent
01-20-2003, 06:00 PM
Hey you guys, does No_Know talk like that in real life?

Suntzu
01-21-2003, 07:11 AM
He's bigger than me…… No Comment…

ShaolinTiger00
01-21-2003, 07:36 AM
It was great meeting everyone and I hope that we can get together again very soon.

a monthly meeting at the gym would be ideal..

Suntzu
01-21-2003, 07:38 AM
works for me…

apoweyn
01-21-2003, 08:23 AM
me too.

apoweyn
01-21-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Serpent
Hey you guys, does No_Know talk like that in real life?

yep.

Merryprankster
01-21-2003, 09:51 AM
What's funny is that at 6' and almost 190, I was the lightest guy there, except suntzu.

Sorry about the lip. You can whack me around next time.

Suntzu
01-21-2003, 09:57 AM
aww man… u should have seen me trryin to throw No_Know… I was hangin off of him like clothing accessories…

apoweyn
01-21-2003, 10:12 AM
LOL

ShaolinTiger00
01-21-2003, 10:13 AM
Sun - throwing is all about 3 things.

setup/off balancing

fit in/ your position

the execution.

Chances are if you didn't get NK's weight off centre, then he wasn't going anywhere.

Suntzu
01-21-2003, 10:15 AM
yeah… next time I'll take a bigger running start…

ShaolinTiger00
01-21-2003, 10:17 AM
LOL! Now you're thinking!

ShaolinTiger00
01-21-2003, 10:26 AM
SunTzu - just watched you video clips 'bodyslam!' was great almost comical how you opponents leg was raised so high. Classic example of the danger of high kicking and how a trained man can capitalize on it!

LEGEND
01-21-2003, 06:44 PM
Anythang on DIGITAL CAM???

No_Know
01-22-2003, 02:08 AM
Fridays are good with me. Get a date or certain Friday each month. I'll be there if I can.-ish

February is the next target Month (at Once a month).

Suntzu
01-22-2003, 07:20 AM
that's why I wasn't tryin to bring around the hook kick after the round kick when I was shadowing in the mirror… I don’t want that to happen to me…

LEGEND
01-22-2003, 04:59 PM
attn: Suntzu...does Julian Sawyer still teaches WING CHUN there??? Wow...where were you guys in 1992. I wasted so much money in other martial arts back then...my standup suck. Use to live in Randallstown until 94.

Suntzu
01-23-2003, 07:05 AM
does Julian Sawyer still teaches WING CHUN there??? :D :D :D yeah he's still there… we sparred some of his guys a couple times… we decided to stop…

LEGEND
01-23-2003, 09:36 AM
Suntzu...yeah I would understand why! I love Julian...he's a great guy...but let's just say his students are well...close minded. I hope u didn't hurt anybody during the slams! OUCH.

No_Know
01-24-2003, 12:21 PM
Next meeting I hope to find out at least, what I No-Know about High kicking and I presume I'll get really friendly with the mat.

Whewwwwwwwwwww Thudddddd!! Hello, Mat? I am No_Know.
Pwhewwwwwwwwwww Thuddd Hello again, Mat? I 'm No_Know.
Slammmmmmmmmmmm Uh? Mat right? I No_Know...

apoweyn
01-24-2003, 12:26 PM
LOL!

ShaolinTiger00
01-24-2003, 12:59 PM
No_know - I'd be more than happy to show you some breakfalls, in that you may meet the mat many times, you'll always be able to leave the mat one more time than you land.

from slipping on ice to falling on a wet bathroom floor, - by far my most "useful" techniques.

lol @ "may meet the mat many"

No_Know
01-24-2003, 01:19 PM
Thank you for the sincere offer ShaolinTiger00. From the gist of opinions of you it seems that that would be an honor. However, I must decline your kind offer.

No_Know while likely severly accurate is also sarcastic. My Arrogance is so great that I don't think I have need of learning many more things. Perhaps greater specifics to what I already might comprehend, but...

I hopefully already picked-up a useable amount on break-falls (or the such). It is now for me to momentarilly apply obtained awareness.

I fall; I break! One way or another. :-)

Hopefully, in that application I would percieve the potential for the fall to occure and circumvent That occurance. It is much more impressive to me to read the throw/takedown and use it or disregard it against the other's advantage.

ShaolinTiger00
01-24-2003, 02:13 PM
Hopefully, in that application I would percieve the potential for the fall to occure and circumvent That occurance. It is much more impressive to me to read the throw/takedown and use it or disregard it against the other's advantage.

Good thinking but unfortunately by the time you "percieve" a fall you have already been pulled off balance and basically at the mercy of the opponent. falling safely is your best option as trying to twist and turn could only heighten your chance at injury.

Your perception needs to occur before this happens :D

No_Know
01-24-2003, 04:43 PM
I thought the quote you posted did not refer to perception Of the fall, but the potential for a fall.

"Your perception needs to occur before this happens"

I thought that that was to what I Did refer?

" Good thinking but unfortunately by the time you "percieve" a fall you have already been pulled off balance and basically at the mercy of the opponent. falling safely is your best option as trying to twist and turn could only heighten your chance at injury."

I was under the impression that balance can be regained (to a point) (and before a point). The opponent might only know of mercy what you show to the opponent.

Falling to me, should be opportunity to use Gravity increased force to offbalance the opponent or damage the opponent or a combination~sharing the force that would have been All mine so that I am less hurt than could have been.

Perhaps you would be gracious enough to educate me as to what I No_Know in this area, which it is my perception is your forte during all of ours get together, next again.

ShaolinTiger00
01-25-2003, 08:54 AM
I was under the impression that balance can be regained (to a point) (and before a point).

Not if you are being thrown properly. the principle of off balancing is to keep the opponent off balance during the entire throw. Letting you regain your balance is the opposite of what I want to happen.

Falling to me, should be opportunity to use Gravity increased force to offbalance the opponent or damage the opponent or a combination~sharing the force that would have been All mine

I understand your motive, but the reality is that if you are caught in the midst of my attempt to throw you - you have zero control over me while I have total control over you. The only time we would "share" damage is when I would attempt a "sacrifice" throw - I purposely go down to the ground with you. (ex- tomoe nage or tani otoshi) and then you still take far more damage than me.

That is really the entire point of throwing someone. - control in every aspect. As soon as I'm able to get you off balance - you're mine. (assuming I execute proper skill)

In my opinion throwing has a very "internal" feel. the off balancing can either be amazingly explosive and thud!! or it can be the subtle footsweep or even counter to a throw.

These things are best shown. talking about them is not the best form of description.

See you soon!

:) :)

No_Know
01-26-2003, 07:58 AM
Hoping to be shown what I No_Know. Thank you in advance, ShaolinTiger00.

That does not mean take it easy. :-) soon enough, hopefully.