PDA

View Full Version : N-Large Shakes

IronFist
01-15-2003, 02:45 PM
Since there were recently mentioned here.

I just got some. Vanilla flavor.

One scoop in 12oz water - Didn't mix that well with a spoon. Didn't taste very good.

Two scoops in 24oz water - Mixed in blender. Tasted alright, then I added a bunch of frozen strawberries. Tasted much better, considering it's a protein/weight gain drink.

Three scoops in 24oz water - Mixed in blender. Tastes pretty decent. I think I added 6 or 7 strawberries. It doesn't taste like a McDonalds strawberry milkshake, but it's not bad at all for what it is.

Given the amount of sugar in this, I'm suprised it's not a little sweeter, though.

The only thing that was nasty were all the strawberry seeds at the bottom of the blender cup thing (I drink it out of the blender cup after I make it).

I'm also going to try it with some Hershey's chocolate syrup mixed in some time (no strawberries, though) and see how that is. That's why I bought Vanilla, so I can change the taste accordingly. And Chocolate flavored powders usually aren't very chocolatey tasting.

Overall ratings:

Taste: If you make it the strawberry way I described above, it gets 8 or 9 out of 10. It's not the best tasting thing in the world, but for protein/weight gain shakes, it's very good.

Mix: With a blender, 9/10. Mixes very well.

Content: Each scoop contains:
Calories: 150
Fat: 1.25g (2% RDA)
Sat. Fat: .75g (3.75% RDA)
Cholesterol: 25mg (8.25% RDA)
Sodium: 40mg (1.75%)
Carbs: 22g (7.25%)
Protein: 13g (26% RDA... ok, wtf, I wonder how they came up with this bull**** RDA value?)
Calcium: 100mg
Iron: .375mg

Each scoop also has 2.31g of L-Glutamic Acid. If that's the same as glutamine, then that's very good.

Not bad. I'm glad there's some fat in there with the carbs and protein, and I'm also glad that there's not a rediculously high sat. fat. amount like in some weight gainers.

IronFist

ewallace
01-16-2003, 07:47 AM
Try throwing a banana in instead of the strawberries.

inic
01-16-2003, 08:26 AM
or try eating REAL food.... =P
try my shake sometime:
2-4 raw eggs (make sure they are free running, grain fed chickens- expensive though...)
3/4 cup stonyfield organic plain yogurt
a fruit (i like banana or strawberry)
piece of a honeycomb
handfull wheatgerm
handfull raw oatmeal
rice milk, soy milk
tofu if you really want, but i usually dont.
i once tried peanut butter, but that didnt turn out good.... i know i'm missing one more ingredient.... oh well i'll think of it later.

each shake costs about 2$ to make though mostly from the honey and eggs, which are very expensive cause of the type i get. make sure you use the honey straight from the comb, or even use the comb itself! it should be yellow like butter and not pourable

inic
01-16-2003, 08:27 AM
i usually drink this in the mornings before my workout and nibble on some almonds or walnuts

abobo
01-16-2003, 09:15 AM
I no longer buy powders - but here's a real shake for you...

I just eyeball amounts and throw the following into the blender. It tastes good every time, so I'm not too picky about it. Unfortunately I can't remember the nutritional specs that I estimated.

So here are the ingredients, in approximate amounts:

1 cup low fat cottage cheese
1 banana
1/2 cup strawberry yogurt
2/3 cup Tropicana
3/4 cup soy milk
1 hearty scoop of peanut butter (1/4 cup?)

For the peanut butter I've used Jif or Smuckers Natural. No partially hydrogenated oils - in that respect any natural peanut butter will do.

This makes about five cups. The yogurt seems to add the brunt of the sweetness. I tried plain strawberries, but that wasn't as good. I've also tried fresh oranges, but they work better for juice than for milkshakes.

Drinking the whole thing will makeyou pretty full. I usually leave one glass for later. It can be pretty thick at times but you can easily thin it out by adding more water, juice, or milk.

Personally, I stay away from throwing eggs into a shake. The last time I tried it, it made my kitchen stink and then tasted terrible.

I also tried a peaches and cream variant - basically cottage cheese, soy milk, peaches, and plain yogurt. Quite delicious.

Guzzle your way to Abobo-like proportions...

Silumkid
01-16-2003, 09:30 AM
Iron,

You know those stupid RDA's for "the average sednetary person". Screw RDA's...the government can't even do their own job right most of the time, why do we expect them to care about our needs?

If you like hitting the protein shakes, I recommend MaxMuscle High5...the dry powder is about 26g or protein per serving from 5 sources....whey, egg, milk, soy, and another form of whey (if I remember right...don't have the tub in front of me.) One scoop in 8oz of milk and you're hitting around 35g of protein and you don't have to mess with a blender. Shaker cup mixes it perfectly. MaxMuscle also used to make a protein/creatine blend called MaxExcel...may not be in production anymore, but it was good stuff too.

IronFist
01-16-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by abobo

Guzzle your way to Abobo-like proportions...

Double Dragon rules!

IronFist