PDA

View Full Version : Eatting Cow

WinterPalm
01-15-2003, 08:28 PM
Does eatting beef seem to you guys like a better idea than eatting protein powder. I know I prefer it. Imagine eatting a huge bowl of beef and then doing an intense set of 20 rep squats. Now imagine eatting a milk shake with some protein in it and then doing that stupid leg curl thing at the gym.
Man, it just doesn't compare, does it?

Serpent
01-15-2003, 09:14 PM
You should eat protein after training, for one thing, when your muscles need to feed, not before.

Also, your body is only capable of processing so much red meat. Beef once a week is more than enough. Most people that eat a lot of red meat end up with up to a Kilo (2lbs) of undigested red meat in their gut, wrapped up in a mucous membrance, slowly rotting.

IronFist
01-15-2003, 10:36 PM
You should really only use the powder stuff as a supplement to your regular meals. For example, if you need 200g of protein per day but can't get that eating normally, then shakes might help you.

The problem occurs when people start relying on supplements instead of normal food.

IronFist

Ford Prefect
01-16-2003, 07:42 AM
Mmmmm.... beef. I'm having some filets tonight. I agree with IF, and disagree with that undigested meat in your intestines BS. That is all conjecture without any scientific proof.

Ford Prefect
01-16-2003, 12:15 PM
Mmmm.... buffalo wings.

rubthebuddha
01-16-2003, 02:36 PM
he said buffalo, not buffalo wings.

speaking of which, buffalo burgers sounds nummy right now.

Serpent
01-16-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by inic
sigh, again with the beef!
ok, it takes your body 15-18 hours to digest UNCOOKED beef. but takes 20x that time digest cooked beef, hence the myth of beef only once a week, which is a crock... the key to this is to vary your protein intake, dont eat the same crap over and over. eat fish, lamb, buffalo, beef, squid. i usually only eat beef 2-3x a week, unless i get my special raw beef shipped in... then its raw beef everyday! until it runs out...
and dont get me started on supplements... all garbage that is

So 300+ hours to digest cooked beef? So how does that not back up what I said earlier?

David Jamieson
01-16-2003, 03:51 PM
k, guys, here's how it is.

red meat (factory farmed, not wild): requires up to 90% of the energy gained from it to be burned in the gaining of it.

poultry (factory farmed) requires up to 50% of the energy gained from it to be used in the gaining of it.

Fish (all except for Salmon) requires only up to 10% of the energy to be gained from it to be burned in the gaining of it.

Factory farmed red meat in short, tastes good but isn't very useful. It costs almost more than what you get out of it.

I'm not a vegetarian in any way, but the red meat is the smaller amount of the animal based protien I do eat.

Chicken and fish are the larger portions, followed by cheese and nuts. Legumes (beans) are also good, but they'll make you fat if you eat too many of them.

I don't care much for tofu personally, but it is good.

Whey protein isn't bad, but supplements are only useful if you burn the calories to actually get any use out of them.

consumption of protien is a good thing after the workout as it contributes to the building of muscle through it's transformation from food to enrgy and blood. It is by no means instant though as the process of digestion and transformation takes about 10-20 hours.

it's a fact!

cheers

p.s wild meat (red,white or fish) is the very best source of protien for the meat eater, so if you know any hunters or fishermen, get in good with them cause they got the good stuff :D

also, remember that what you don't digest is only poison.

ricksitterly
01-19-2003, 06:02 PM
what about EGGS???? I hear that egg whites are almost pure protein. Considering how soft and jiggley they are compared to meat (when cooked), I imagine they get digested fairly easily. Any eggsperts care to comment ?

Cheese Dog
01-20-2003, 12:06 AM
WHOLE eggs are a great source of protein. If you toss the yolk you lose half of the protein and all of the vitamins and minerals. Also the yolk contains a substance that makes the proteins more absorbable. Don't worry about the cholesterol in egg yolks. Firstly, the kind of cholesterol is the good kind your body needs to make hormones. Secondly, eggs are the best natural source of a substance called LECITHIN. It keeps the fats in the yolk emulsified and will do the same in your body.

Oh, and don't eat them raw. Salmonella is no fun! And besides that, cooking them actually makes the proteins much more absorbable by deactivating a subatance called avriin (or something like that).

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-20-2003, 12:44 AM
did you know that the yolk is just a feeding sack for the chicken fetus, and the eggs we eat are completely unfertalized? laughing cow tried to tell me i was eating dead baby chicken and i had to correct him.

ElPietro
01-21-2003, 09:55 AM
Supplements are fine. As long as it's a complete protein, your body will use it and have no clue where it came from. Red meat is good, but it also contains a lot of fat. Fat is not necessarily bad, and in many cases good, but it is also calorie dense, so keeping yourself at whatever caloric level you want, may be difficult with a high red meat diet.

Different sources have different bioavailabilities, and I also don't believe the whole, meat rotting BS.

I don't know where some of you guys get your digestion rates, I don't know the numbers, but I know that if we used some of the ones quoted here we'd only need to eat twice a day, and would be fully satiated for a very long time, since that's not the case, common sense would lead me to believe these numbers are vastly incorrect.

ElPietro
01-21-2003, 11:58 AM
I meant that if things took 30 hours to digest as some people say, we'd eventually get physically to a limit where no more food can fit in our bodies, and then we'd be only eating maybe once a day or so as everything is backlogged and slowly digesting. 30 hours is not an accurate assumption.

As for carrying undigested food in your body, of course you are. Your body doesn't digest something at once. If you eat a steak, your body starts digesting it when it reaches the stomach, and then over time maybe 4-6 hours it is pretty much done. So if you eat 4-6 meals a day there is probably undigested food from 2 or 3 meals still in your stomach. I don't find this alarming at all, as this is what you'd figure is in your stomach or intestine.

TaoBoy
01-21-2003, 08:48 PM
Mmm mmm beef for dinner tonight.

Now, everyone - let's just face the fact that there are a million and one different diet and nutritional ideas floating around and those that are supposed to work will not work for everyone. Just accept it.

Has anyone researched the 'eat right for your type' diet? It's red meat for O blood group right?

IronFist
01-21-2003, 10:42 PM
I've heard of that book. Have you read it? What was it like?

IronFist

lowsweep
01-24-2003, 12:49 PM
It says something along the lines of each blood type evolved during a time when people ate different types of foods. I believe type O blood was the earliest and it came from meat eating people. Other blood types evolved when people began to eat grains and othe staple foods.

Cheese Dog
01-25-2003, 12:31 AM
"Eat Right For Your Type". I bought that book a couple of years ago and agree with nearly everything in it. It explains why different diets work for different people. For instance, I could never lose weight on a low fat high carb diet, even though I was hungry constantly and worked out every day. When I went on a diet that was basically the type O diet, I was able to lose 50 lbs. and keep it off.

ricksitterly
01-25-2003, 02:09 PM
i "eat right for my type" too, including various intruders that infest my backyard. upon capture, and after rigorous interrogation, they are forced into a baking pan, regardless of whether they confess to their treason. of coarse i dont eat them, but instead I feed them to their comrades, as I am slowly converting their diet from acorns to meat. Personally, I dont need to eat much at all anymore. My grappling schedule more than makes up for my lack of proteins and minerals.