PDA

View Full Version : Confused about food

TigerJaw
01-16-2003, 04:16 AM
A friend of mine has been reading up on nutrition according to Chinese medicine principles. Apparently, you are not supposed to eat protein and starch in the same meal. My confusion is that it is my understanding that western nutritionists tell us to combine protein and starch as, IIRC, the protein slows the breaking down of the starch into sugar.

So is it that Chinese and Western though on this matter contradict? Is one right and one wrong? Am I, as is most likely, misinformed, misunderstanding or missing something?

JADE ROSE
01-16-2003, 04:24 AM
I am no nutrionalist I am even lucky if I can spell the word, but isn't rice one of the starchiest foods around? If so all of their meals combine both protein and starch when the rice is eaten with any meat or nuts. Chicken being one of the highest in protein always been served on a bed of rice (well at least at the local takeaway). This doesn't sound right to me.

Cheese Dog
01-16-2003, 12:41 PM
I believe what you are talking about is called food combining. The idea is that the stomach enviroment that is best for absorbing protein is not the optimum for carbohydrates. This idea isn't just in some asian cultures; there are a few "natural health" movements in western society that is similiar, most of them dating to the late 1800's. Even though they make fantastic claims about increased health, curing disease, etc., if you follow their practices I've never seen any evidence beyond anecdotal of this. Also when you eat nothing but carbs by themselves you are much more likely to have problems with insulin levels fluctuating rapidly, which is not good for you, it can eventually lead to adult onset diabetes.

SaMantis
01-17-2003, 01:46 PM
My mom was always a stickler about eating carbs with protein. Complex carbs only -- whole grain, whole wheat. If we had an egg for breakfast, we had to have wheat toast, oatmeal, whatever.

The main thing was that she didn't allow processed foods into the house. For a couple years she even banned chocolate, sugar, pizza, and coffee. (This was when my brother was diagnosed as diabetic.) We hated it but the funny thing was, for that two-year period, my teeth were in better shape than they've ever been before or since: no cleaning needed, much less fillings.

Yup, those were the days. Now excuse me, I've gotta get back to my jelly donut. Mmm, donut ...

18elders
01-19-2003, 08:41 PM
your friend is correct, you shouldn't mix them.

Serpent
01-19-2003, 09:29 PM
Ideally, you shouldn't eat carbs and proteins in the same meal as they digest differently. You'll feel much less bloated after an all protein or all carb meal.

However, think about it. In this day and age, can you imagine not mixing them with the ways we eat?

Take any meal you can think of:

Hamburger - bread/meat = carb/protein
Steak & Chips - potato/meat = carb/protein
Tofu stir-fry - Tofu/vegetables* = protein/carb
Cheese sandwich - cheese/bread = protein/carb

*cos veggies are carbohyrates.

Therefore, the only way to really avoid mixing them is to eat only veggies, fruit, bread, etc. all the time, so that it's only carbs, and then eat protein only on it's own seperately. i.e. just a steak, just some eggs, a pile of beans! ;)

Pretty tricky way to live.

TigerJaw
01-20-2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by 18elders
your friend is correct, you shouldn't mix them.

Well, that's the end of that debate then. :rolleyes:

So, after a little research on my part and a bit of interigation. i've found out that this food combining malarky is a western interpretation of the chinese ideas of Yin and Yang food. I've discovered that it's based on psuedo-scientific bio-chemistry and there's no actual laboratory evidence what-so-ever. The case for is based purely on the pseudo-science and anecdotal evidence which is sketchy at best unless somebody can present any more concrete evidence on the matter.

One question still remains. Why do so many people think that combining carb and protein at every meal is a good idea? I know that western nutritionists tell us to but why?

StarBoy
02-20-2003, 09:39 PM
I came across this thread while doing a search for nutrition information.

My question is what does one do? I can't imagine having a meal where I don't mix all kinds of food together. Is someone supposed eat a serving of rice and veggies, wait until he or she digests that, then have a chicken breast by itself or something?

And what exactly are the benefits of not mixing foods?

IronFist
02-21-2003, 01:18 AM
I tell you what, I'm kinda drunk right now but I say you should eat protein with every meal. If you were to mix this with your friend's advice, then that means you should eat some meals that consist of only starch (carbs). But since you shoudl have protein with every meal according to me, that's not possible.

Wait, no.

Does starch interfere with protein synthesis? I don't think so. Does protein interfere with carbohydrate metabolism. Not as far as I know.

So I say don't worry about it.

But remember, I'm kinda drunk right now :)

IronFist

Laughing Cow
02-21-2003, 01:23 AM
Can't really see how most Asians can have a meal with those seperated.

Rice and Noodles are an integral part of their cuisine.

DuLayLoMo
02-21-2003, 07:53 AM
Tiger:

There is no need to be confuse about what diet is right or wrong. I think common sense will tell you more than what experts might let on about the diets. As long your present diet is helping you to maintain your life optimally there should be no moral dilemma to who is right or wrong. I would encourage seeking knowledge and trying to apply what works best for you, but pls remember to take everything with a grain of salt.

Western and Eastern people are cultural different and it is no surprise that their diets would be different. I am sure eatting fast foods are quite weird too many people, but it is common place in America. Today there are so many experts and diets that it goes to show we are very complex and yet simple. But you cant conform to any one theory, but allow our insight of experience guide us to what is right for us in diet and life. Doing simple things like eating should be fun and pleasant and not work, in my book. It reminds of those sex books, we have really gone far from from our natural instincts if we need a book on sex to learn this and that goes togther. When you makes things complex the less you help people make simple choices for health, happiness, and wealth. Pl take it easy and try both diets and make a decision based on what feels right or what better results you have with it.

Former castleva
02-23-2003, 04:40 PM
Timely advice on nutrition is what I would recommend.
This is an interesting case for sure,makes me want to analyze briefly.
Chinese diet is nice.I must point out my idea that the whole fuss grew out of taoism,taoism with itīs ideas of cosmology and certain set patterns to explain about everything in.
From what I have examined,it would seem that food,"colours" etc. grew out as sort of an extension for this philosophy,again these set patterns to reflect another area.
Thus it was determined which belongs to what etc.

"So, after a little research on my part and a bit of interigation. i've found out that this food combining malarky is a western interpretation of the chinese ideas of Yin and Yang food. I've discovered that it's based on psuedo-scientific bio-chemistry and there's no actual laboratory evidence what-so-ever. The case for is based purely on the pseudo-science and anecdotal evidence which is sketchy at best unless somebody can present any more concrete evidence on the matter."

Well now you layed it on the line sir,it is unwise to deny itīs pseudoscientifical basis.

Another thing I have thought for a while myself is that of culture.
Symbols and associating thing with symbolics is evident in Chinese culture.
This should go as far as this nutrition case of us.
Colours,elements,yin,yang,hot,warm etc...
Simple solutions for complex problems,or not?
Well,letīs pick some somewhat related examples of this.
OK,letīs pick tiger,now what does tiger mean?
Tiger means strength,prowess,passion etc.
Are you familiar with (extinct) tiger(īs) ***** soup as a food for impotence?
Consider this and youīll see where Iīm getting at.
How about eating pigīs BRAIN to cure a HEADache?
"Warm" foods for "Cold" times?

Well,there would probably be more to this but this is good for now.