PDA

View Full Version : Static and Dynamic stretching? what is it and whats the difference...!!!

Mizong_Kid
01-16-2003, 10:29 AM
i kepe hearing the term static and dynamic stretching....whats the difference? define each one?

and i notice that when people stretch they seem to just hold one position for a certain time and then relax and then go back to that position while stretching!

however i always seem to see my master "bouncing" when he stretches and he is incredibly flexible beyond belief!

any comments or views on the bouncing?

from now on i will bounce when i stretch!

Losttrak
01-16-2003, 01:55 PM
There are only 4 types of stretching from what I have gathered from research and experience and I only speak of these while standing on the shoulders of those who know alot more...

Active Dynamic
Active Static

&

Passive Dynamic
Passive Static

Active: means the muscles are being used/flexed, etc
Passive: means the muscles is totally relaxed... little if any muscular usage

Dynamic: means the limb is while moving as the tensile reserve depletes (ex: a high heel kick... the higher it goes the tighter it gets)

Static: mean the limb is completely still as the stretch is performed.

As a rule... its best to focus on stretches that simulate the movements you will be performing.

Lung Hu Pai
01-16-2003, 03:02 PM
www.stadion.com has some good info on stretching too. i got thomas kurz book "stretching scientifically" a couple of weeks ago and it was a solid purchase, i think.