PDA

View Full Version : Gerk Jong?

Mute_Jong
01-16-2003, 11:37 AM
Anyone know of a video that shows the gerk jong in use?

The gerk jong, as far as I understand it, is a kicking form performed on three posts.

Moy Yat was said to have taught it, and I have heard the Leung Ting has taught it as well.

Any info would be appreciated.

rubthebuddha
01-17-2003, 12:00 AM
if i remember correctly, leung ting demonstrates it on his video "authentic wing tsun." it's a good video, but it's a bit pricey if all you're hankering for is to see the legwork.

black and blue
01-17-2003, 02:55 AM
Anyone know the specific movements of the gerk jong form, and does anyone know the layout of the posts, how far apart they should be, ect?

Tom Kagan
01-17-2003, 09:37 AM
Contained in this essay is a brief layout description of the Gerk Jong portion of the Ving Tsun Moy Fah Jong (http://www.Moyyat.com/dummy.html).

I have a SiJat who has his own school. This guy stands about 6 feet, 6 inches tall and carries a large proportion of his height in his legs. When he built a Gerk Jong for his school, he set the posts about 4 feet apart and 4 feet tall. He wonders why a few of my SiHings think that's amusing. :)

If I'm not mistaken, Dunn Wah included a full chapter about the Gerk Jong, including diagrams, in at least one of his books.

I've attached a picture of Moy Yat using a three post (single petal) Gerk Jong, circa 1994. Unfortunately, I am uncertain where the picture was taken and who was the cameraman, so I am unable to give further credit for the time being.

ma3j
01-17-2003, 10:13 AM
My sifu has a gerk jong setup in his backyard and it has more than 3 posts, although I can't remember the exact layout.

One day when we were in his backyard he had me try this exercise where starting at one side you kick the first post then land in such a way so that you can kick the next post with the other leg and so on without kicking the same post twice...

...doesn't answer you question...but thought I would share anyway...

yuanfen
01-17-2003, 11:53 AM
Thanks for sharing- Tom

Mute_Jong
01-17-2003, 04:54 PM
Was this part of the Ip Man school, then, or something that came after?

Here is another picture of a Gerk Jong I found on the web.

Mute_Jong
01-17-2003, 05:11 PM
I have a couple more of these, but they are all very similar. Leung Ting, does give a "two step" demo of the form on the "clip compilation" near the end of the video mentioned earlier.

Austin Goh has a kicking form on his DVD but it doesn't use posts, and looks like it is just a collection of the WC kicks put in order for practice.

Duncan Leung mentions it in his video about the wooden dummy, and suggests he will make a video about it, but he never has. I have talked to his students, and am told that his gerk jong uses tri-pods, rather than being stuck in the ground, and they don't acutally kick it, but do footwork in a pattern around the gerk jong.

Duncan Leung is also an Ip Man student, which has me wondering about the origen of this training device.

The only other place I have seen it, is in the fictional movie, Stranger from Shaolin. This is a sensationalized Hong Kong theater version of the Wing Chun story. In it, she does a three post form that looks very similar to Leung Ting's demo, except longer. Of course in HK fiction style, at the end of the set, she kickes or punches all three posts, breaking them. **chuckle**

Tom Kagan
01-20-2003, 09:53 AM
Your attachment within your last message is a picture of Pete Pajil, circa 1999. The picture was taken in the side yard of the Museum school in Huber Heights, Ohio. Pete Pajil is a student of Moy Yat and teaches in Southern New Jersey.

After reading your follow up posts and glancing at your profile, I fear you you might have a few more pressing issues than the Gerk Jong to concern yourself within your training. Instead of concentrating on collecting more items to include in your library, might I suggest sticking with a Sifu who is willing to train you for more than "a couple of months" and, in time, will teach you more than you ever thought possible to learn regarding stepping and kicking?

Good luck in your training.

"And in the meantime, I'm tryin' to tell you we're comin' in too fast. I think they know it, and I think that's why we don't have a god**** reentry plan."

"That's, that's duly noted."

"Thank you, Jack."

--- dialog from Apollo 13 (The Movie). Any relevance in this Gerk Jong discussion may be coincidental.

Mute_Jong
01-20-2003, 10:03 AM
**shrug** Just curious, so I asked.

If nobody knows the answer, that's fine.

Tom Kagan
01-20-2003, 11:50 AM
If nobody knows the answer, that's fine

"Two hands, two eyes, two ears, one brain, one mouth - you do the math and stop annoying me." -- Moy Yat (said in response to a similar comment) ;)

You received what I thought were pretty good answers on the subject of the Gerk Jong here, especially when considering the confines of attempting to communicate via a text forum with people with whom you have no real relationship and have no real obligation to you in return.

That, combined with the information to which you indicate you already have access, leads me to believe you just didn't understand what you read and chose, instead, to believe everyone lurking and/or posting here simply does not know.

I'm curious about a lot of things, too. However, when I ask questions, especially of strangers, I try to do my best to be prepared for an answer, even if the answer given may not appear to be what I wanted to hear.

Mute_Jong
01-20-2003, 12:56 PM
Here is the very first line of this thread:

"Anyone know of a video that shows the gerk jong in use? "

Nobody gave an answer to that (other than the Leung Ting clip, which I acknowledged), so I just assumed that nobody knew the answer, or, that there wasn't an answer. No disrespect should be read into that.

Like I say, no big deal, pally. It's okay. Really. :D

I learned some other things that I didn't know before.

In case anyone else was waiting to see if the answer to that question actually came up, I found out that the "Level 9" video from the NAWCA shows the form being done by apprentice instructors.

http://www.wingchuncenter.com/products.htm

I plan on investigating the Dun Wah book connection as well.

Thanks guys.

Tom Kagan
01-20-2003, 03:35 PM
I've read no disrespect into your posts because you offered none.

However, what you really should be investigating is what it will take for you to spend a few more years training (whether it be under your former instructor, Joy, or someone else). Without it, the books & videos are just stuff cluttering up your house - and head. You're not going to learn anything new from a post in the ground (or a video of one). That's why it's referred to as a "dummy." ;)

Mute_Jong
01-22-2003, 05:15 PM
Thank you EmptyCup.

Yes I agree, following videos exclusively without coaching would be counter productive. I think everyone here would agree on that.

The only reason the form has kept my interest is because it is so rarely talked about. Purely a "curiosity factor". You know how it goes, burning Wing Chun question, so you hunt up a Wing Chun forum. **chuckle**

As soon as my job situation settles down, I hope to be back in a class, here locally.

Mute_Jong
01-22-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Tom Kagan
what you really should be investigating is what it will take for you to spend a few more years training

Thanks, but no investigation needed there. I am perfectly aware of my personal situation.

You're not going to learn anything new from a post in the ground (or a video of one). That's why it's referred to as a "dummy." ;)

I agree increasing your skills from a book or video is a dubious endevor. But I don't watch "Real TV" on TNN to learn how to break my leg on a skateboard, nor do I watch football players, so that I might one day, be one. Sometimes people just watch, and that is okay.

burnsypoo
01-22-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Mute_Jong
I agree increasing your skills from a book or video is a dubious endevor. But I don't watch "Real TV" on TNN to learn how to break my leg on a skateboard, nor do I watch football players, so that I might one day, be one. Sometimes people just watch, and that is okay. [/B]

Too true. If only the parents of the 80's could have understood. I, wanna rock and roll all night. And party, everyday.

Matrix
01-22-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by burnsypoo
Too true. If only the parents of the 80's could have understood. I, wanna rock and roll all night. And party, everyday. Oh, we understand all right!! :p