PDA

View Full Version : Profuse sweating

Eread
01-16-2003, 04:00 PM
Hi people,

New to the boards. I train Wing Chun Kung Fu.

I see the subject of sweating more than "normal" has been up more than once on the board - I too have this "problem".

In my case it seems to be somewhat related to my astma, my breathing's mostly fine now, due to a breathing method created by Dr. Buteyko, but I get"warm" spells when I'm near dogs for instance... and the same thing seems to happen during my kung fu class.

However I've noticed a very long warmup will dimish the sweating considerably - and it's not just the loss of liquids, since I drink a lot as well.

I'm not sure how far it's between my place and the Kung Fu training hall, but I use around 40- 50 minutes riding my bike at a good, but not insane, speed.

If I use the car to get to training, I'll be soaked in sweat very quickly, pouring down from my forehead. But if I ride the bike it's much, much less.

I hadn't seen the point about long warmups in the other threads, so I thought I'd add my two cents.

Eread

Cheese Dog
01-16-2003, 11:52 PM
First of all, welcome to the forum! I think you'll find this an interesting and informative place!

I too sweat alot. But not nearly as much as I used to since I lost about 50 lbs. People used to hate ground sparring with me because I would get THEM soaked! (Ick!) Anyway, if you have a weight problem that could be a contributing factor. But it sounds like the long warmups help considerably. Maybe your body just sweats more when it's forced to go from a normal temperature to a "workout temperature" too quickly.

Eread
01-17-2003, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Cheese Dog
First of all, welcome to the forum! I think you'll find this an interesting and informative place!

Thanks! It's looking good!

Yeah, I do have some weight problem...It seems though, my running is starting to have some effect.. it'll be intresting to see if I'll sweat less when I've lost some kilos, like happened to you. If I'm rememering the kilo- pound ratio right I should probably loose about the same amount you did.

Losttrak
01-17-2003, 09:31 PM
Heavy sweating isnt such a bad thing... I wouldnt say I sweat HEAVILY but I do get a nice shine. I find it very handy when it comes to trapping, etc. No one can hold onto my arms! Also when i punch... even when they move back... stinging sweat right in the eyes! Its like a secret weapon! Sweating is only bad on dates... in fighting its a boon.

IronFist
01-19-2003, 03:58 PM
Oh man. When I used to eat 5-6000 calories a day I would sweat so much. It was nasty. I'd always wear a white t-shirt under whatever I was wearing, and it would always be soaking at the end of the day. I wasn't even fat, just a fast metabolism burning a ton of calories.

I tried Certain Dri, the non-prescription anti-perspirant, but it sucked. It didn't do anything for me at all.

So I went to the doctor and had my thyroid checked. He said it was all within normal limits, and that my fast metabolism, large diet, and the fact that I'm kind of a nervous person all contributed to my sweating. He wrote me a prescription for something called DrySol which is a more heavy duty antiperspirant that you apply at night. When I was using it I did notice less sweating in my armpits, but it seemed to increase elsewhere, like in my lower back.

You can also have surgery to remove sweat glands, but they say that your body just compensates by sweating in other places. Like some people get them removed from their armpits, and then they start sweating out of their hands. Gross. I'd prefer armpit stains than wet hands.

So that's pretty much all I know about sweating. See if you can get a prescription for DrySol. Just use it as needed. Be careful, though, one night I put on too much and I couldn't go to sleep because my armpits were burning.

IronFist

Souljah
01-19-2003, 05:42 PM
So I went to the doctor and had my thyroid checked. He said it was all within normal limits, and that my fast metabolism, large diet, and the fact that I'm kind of a nervous person all contributed to my sweating. He wrote me a prescription for something called DrySol which is a more heavy duty antiperspirant that you apply at night. When I was using it I did notice less sweating in my armpits, but it seemed to increase
elsewhere, like in my lower back.

I too have the same prob, I get hot really easily and i sweat buckets, but im not over weight actually im underweight (6'2 and about 72kg, apparently I should be at least 78-80kg) I'd say I'm reasonably fit (though I dont really know how I measure it). But anyway.
IF, did you say u 'USED' to sweat loads. So what happened to lessen it?
Just curious cos ur case sounds similar to mine (fast metabolism - my old PE teacher said I was as I eat alot and dont really put on weight).

"Be careful, though, one night I put on too much and I couldn't go to sleep because my armpits were burning."

LMAO:D

Serpent
01-19-2003, 06:01 PM
Surgery to have sweat glands removed?!

What the fukk is wrong with people!? :confused:

Cheese Dog
01-20-2003, 12:13 AM
No kidding! Having your sweat glands removed couldn't be good for you. The fact that your body compensates by sweating more from other places tells me your body NEEDS to sweat that much, no matter how much it grosses you out. I would think the problem could be diet, most likely over-consumption of carbs.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-20-2003, 12:36 AM
*more information you dont need from your local cancer bi tch*

i smell so bad. "as far as they can tell" (comforting words) i am in remission, but it's procedure for them to follow up chemo with radiation to kill any cancer cells that could still be lingering about. now the radiation isn't nearly as bad as the chemo, and i only have to do it for 3 weeks, but the side effects compile on top of one another to make me smell like rotting entrails on a hot summer day. i can't wear deodorant during the treatment because of the skin irritation .... i also can not use soap to wash under my arms ... and i have to take a medicine (that keeps me salavating normally) 3 times a day that makes me sweat buckets for 45 minutes straigth. it doesn't matter if im in my car before it warms up and its 4 degrees out .... im soaked from head to balls ... and extremely cold ... and hot ... and smelly.