PDA

View Full Version : how often should you train?

Zhiu
01-16-2003, 10:13 PM
usually i train half an hour to an hour and a half a day at night i don't train much more due to school.

i do this about 5 days a week but usually 7 whenever i can.
my question is if i don't train for a day is that bad? or will i stay at the same level i was a few days before?

thanks.

Prairie
01-17-2003, 12:29 AM
I believe that one should practice everyday. By practicing the same basic movements everyday, the movements should eventually become natural for the body. At the very least, this part of training should be done. It would also be handy to do partner training everyday - but I know well from experience that this is not generally possible.

Missing a day here or there probably won't hold you back much.

Taiji is ultimately about balance and that balance should extend through life. Taijiquan is not the only facet of life and other activities (including simply rest) need to be included.

Balance is a tricky thing...

Kaitain(UK)
01-17-2003, 06:20 AM
I train the form and QiGong once a day as the norm, but additional training I do if I feel like it (so probs 40 minutes to an hour a day). I miss a day now and then if I don't feel up to it, I stopped beating myself up about it.

There's no 'correct level' of training - do what you feel able to and don't turn it into a chore or you'll eventually burn out and start resenting it. I went through a bleak period last year in the summer when I was forcing myself to train and eventually I ended up completely arsed off with it.

count
01-17-2003, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by Zhiu
usually i train half an hour to an hour and a half a day at night i don't train much more due to school.

i do this about 5 days a week but usually 7 whenever i can.
my question is if i don't train for a day is that bad? or will i stay at the same level i was a few days before?

thanks.
Train all the time. Train when your not training. Train while you are sleeping. Train while you are walking down the street. Don't guilt yourself about skipping your exercise regiment, that's what a teacher is for.;)

HuangKaiVun
01-17-2003, 05:46 PM
It depends on what you're training for.

I myself am a professional sifu who teaches kung fu for a living. I don't practice much outside of class, as I get enough workouts with and against my students.

Every truly great master of any discipline I've ever studied (not just kung fu) will tell you that when you're practicing, PRACTICE.

They'll also tell you that when you're NOT practicing, DON'T practice.

David Jamieson
01-17-2003, 05:50 PM
everyday.

some days a little, some days a lot, but everyday do something from what you have learned and you will get better at it.

after a time, hey! you'll be pretty good :)

cheers

RickMatz
01-18-2003, 05:51 PM
Someone said it before me. I can't remember if it was on this forum or another: have the attitude that your training is an indulgence you look forward to, rather than a chore. With that attitude, you'll be surprised how much training you actually get done.

Best Regards,

RIck Matz

Samurai Jack
01-20-2003, 12:02 AM
I knew if I bummed around long enough, someone would ask this question for me. I personally have always subscribed to the "every-day-no-matter-what" philosophy of MA training.

I just started practicing Aikido though, and now I'm starting to wonder about what I should do. I attend class Mon/Tues/Wed/Sat for about an hour or so. I feel that this is an terribly sad state of affairs since I'd rather do six days a week (work conflicts though).

My Sensei just asked me the other day, " Aren't you sore yet? ". Fact is, my hips and knees had been killing me, so I told Sensei, " Yes, I'm extremly sore Sensei, but I wish to continue. ". Now I'm used to hard work, and a good amount of pain, so I kept to my schedule. I felt proud of myself, and feel like I want to make a good impression with my new Sensei.

So here's my problem: on Saturday, as I was warming up I noticed my abdomen, right around my Tan Den (center) was pretty sore. I kept working out though, and by the end of class I felt like I had an ice cold knife jammed right below my belly button.

The sensation only just this evening (Sun. night) has begun to let up. I'm using ibuprofen and massaging Dit Da Jow into the spot. I have this preverse idea that training through the pain will be a sort of baptismal trial by fire.

So the question is, do I go to class on Monday night and work through the pain, commited to make it through the the next three classes before taking two days off no matter what? Or, do I swallow my pride and sense of obligation and give my body time to recover?

I believe my body will recover no matter what, and that the small strain I'm going through will pass whether or not I give up. It's just that it'll take longer to heal if I keep practicing, and I run the risk of increased pain/possible injury.

What do you guys think?

Laughing Cow
01-20-2003, 12:10 AM
Samurai Jack.

I would take it easy.
That doesn't mean no training, do your basics,stances, footwork and similar.

First of all I don't like to put many chemicals into my body, hence I don't train so hard that I need them.

Secondly, if you train that hard what happens if you need your skills to defend yourself but got an Injury from training too hard?

Your training should keep you in a shape in which you can use your skills at any time without any notice given.
If that is not so you are wasting your time & effort.

Just my opinion.

cha kuen
01-20-2003, 01:41 AM
HuangkaiVun,

You said that in your post you are a "professional sifu." I do not mean to start trouble or offend you but perhaps you meant that you teach kung fu so you should practice more?

I just don't agree when people say that they themselves are a professional sifu. That makes it seem like you got "it" and your skill is at a pro level. Heck, I never liked it when people say, "Well you see, I'm a sifu" as if they accomplished something. Having something of substance to teach and being a sifu are different things IMHO.

Just some thoughts, not meant to stir up trouble. I think it would have sounded a lot better if you just said that you teach martial arts therefore your workout consists of.... etc etc.

TaiChiBob
01-20-2003, 05:37 AM
Greetings..

Without sounding trite, i suggest that we train continuously.. in the kwoon and out.. How we walk, how we sit, how we think, how we perceive, how we "live".. these are all areas we can refine in our day to day lives, refine with the principles of our chosen Art.. When i need to pick something up off the floor i try to use correct leg work to keep refining the knee/quad interaction.. when i need to look over my shoulder i twist my waist keeping the hips centered.. i try to expand the range of my periphial vision, noticing detail at the limits .. I try to bringTai Chi into my everyday life, it seems to work for me..

But, formal training is the topic.. i teach regular classes five days a week and private lessons usually round out the other two.. but that doesn't satisfy my own need for refinement, i still need to train myself.. so twice a day, i practice for at least 45 minutes paying attention to the details and studying the body, mind, spirit connection.. not to mention i seek good seminars and other such opportunities..

Be well..

Souljah
01-20-2003, 05:47 AM
I try to train once a day, but at the moment I can only practice basic movements as Im restricted to my basement room (too cold and wet to train outside)
During the warmer months I try and do about 45 mins a day at least. Though I cant say I've gotten this routine going for too long, im relatively new to the MA's.

-greg

Losttrak
01-20-2003, 08:24 AM
You need to read Ryu's old (months and months ago) post on his martial art Icon. Totally forgot his name tho lol. Training time = skill. If you want to be good... train a few times a week. If you want to be an expert you will train every day. If you want to be among the best, it must occupy your mind every waking minute...

Souljah
01-20-2003, 09:03 AM
Yea I definately agree with that.....

just saying that outload makes me want to train now actually

StarBoy
01-28-2003, 08:26 PM
They'll also tell you that when you're NOT practicing, DON'T practice.

I'm curious, what do you mean by that?

As for me, I would practice every day, for as long as I could fit in (usually about an hour, if not longer). I'm temporarily living in Niagara Falls though (no decent Kung Fu/Tai Chi instructors around here), so for some dumb reason I stopped training in my forms (I just hit the gym). I wish I kept up with practicing my forms. It's been a year and a half and I can't even remember the simplified yang 24 form. When I move back for good this summer, I plan to train at least an hour (if not 2) a day during the week and more on the weekends.

Laughing Cow
01-28-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by StarBoy

"They'll also tell you that when you're NOT practicing, DON'T practice."

I'm curious, what do you mean by that?

What it bassically means when you train you do it with 100% intent, anything less is a waste of your time.

In short best is set a time aside for training and do it full intent and you will benefit more from 1hr than from 2~3hrs a day with half-hearted intent.
If you don't train with full intent you will develop bad habits.

Personaly, I don't train much form at home, too little space.

But rather work on the basics and concentrate on one or two movements a day and try to do them correct by applying all the principles and things pointed out by my Sifu.

I found I benefit the most from 1hr training after waking up in the morning, rather than trying to do 2hrs at night.

That said you should still try to apply the principles to everyday life and body movement.

Just my Opinion naturally.

Cheese Dog
01-29-2003, 01:22 AM
TaiChiBob--GREAT POST!:cool:

lstern
01-29-2003, 05:25 PM
One of the things my sifu stresses is to practice "mindfully". In other words, it's the quality of your practice that counts, not the quantity. You can practice every day and not improve if you're not practicing mindfully, ie. with proper concentration and dedication.

Larry
www.northernwu.com

HuangKaiVun
01-31-2003, 04:49 PM
I think we misunderstand each other, cha kuen.

I'm a "professional sifu" in that students pay me money and I run a business teaching them kung fu.

It's your preconceived notion that "professional" makes you "it" and that somebody who is designated as such is at a "pro" level. I'm simply stating the FACTS, which means that kung fu is my day (more like night) job. That's how the IRS and city government see me.

How good I am as a teacher depends on the observer. But even if I were the worst instructor on the planet, that wouldn't change the fact that the IRS would come after me if I didn't pay taxes on my "profession", which is teaching kung fu.

You might not think I'm a "professional", but the government sure does. And it's to Uncle Sam I answer.

I sent two guys home yesterday.

These two carry huge responsibilities in life, and yet they're both the kind of student who comes to every class and tries to stay as long as possible. Because we were doing kung fu for relaxation yesterday, they were yawning uncontrollably in class. I didn't hold it against them but actually applauded them for doing the kung fu correctly.

I ordered them both home to REST, which they needed more than the training last night.

count
01-31-2003, 04:56 PM
Do you actually put "Professional Sifu" on your 1040 filing?

Yawning out of boredom? I didn't know yawning was a legitimate breathing method of kung fu. :rolleyes: :eek: ;) :p

Non-Combative
02-03-2003, 07:23 PM
Try to train daily, weather permitting, for Tai Chi Forms.
Qigong training daily (often indoors) regardless of the British weather.
Regards.

TkdWarrior
02-03-2003, 10:24 PM
one should practice his taiji forms at least 6 times per day
i don't remember who said it or wat's the reason behind this but i try to do at least 6 times per day...
two times at good pace, two times slow n last two times super slow(n i can't keep up with super slow motion )
-TkdWarrior-

Laughing Cow
02-03-2003, 10:39 PM
Not too sure about other styles, but in ours when you are finished with the Form you are facing backwards.

This is done deliberately to remind the Student that he needs to do the form again.

;) ;)

HuangKaiVun
02-09-2003, 06:37 PM
You live in CA, count.

I would love for you to come check me out. I'm in Phoenix, very close to you.

It would be terrific for you to check out my class - and meet the student of whom you aim your "boredom" comment against.

No, I don't put "professional sifu" on my 1040. But if I'm NOT a professional sifu, then I DESPERATELY need you to explain to me where my earnings come from since running a martial school is my full-time job.

Once again, it would be great to meet in person. I always look forward to meeting "local" martial artists.

count
02-10-2003, 01:45 PM
I'll be sure to do that Huang. I'd like to meet you sometime. Your students too. I wasn't aiming at your student. I just wondered why you hadn't imparted this wisdom on him, instead of sending him home?

Originally posted by HuangKaiVun
Every truly great master of any discipline I've ever studied (not just kung fu) will tell you that when you're practicing, PRACTICE.

I still say you can practice all the time. Even when your not practicing. Practice when you are standing, sitting, laying, breathing...practice. :cool:

Fred Sanford
02-12-2003, 01:15 PM
What's the name of your school in Phoenix, Arizona? and what exactly do you teach anyways? Still learning from wing lams video tape program?

HuangKaiVun
02-16-2003, 10:44 AM
My school's name is "Huang's Kung Fu Academy". It is located on the SW corner of Warner and Dobson roads in Chandler. Come and check us out, Mr. Sanford.

Yes, I'm still learning from Wing Lam's video program - among other things. Are you also learning from Wing Lam's videos?

See count, "practicing all the time" can mean many different things.

I can imagine that when you are sitting on the toilet, you are using your chi and dantien to "get it out". That does constitute practice in a certain way, and I'm not being humorous.

Real people in the real world have jobs, obligations, physical needs, and all sorts of other things to which kung fu often should take a back seat.

As far as I'm concerned, maintaining one's health by getting enough rest (particularly when one is as overworked as this young man you complain about is) is more important than grinding it out through another kung fu practice as you prescribe.

Besides, if your mind is always on kung fu as opposed to what you're DOING, then you're basically wasting your time.

count
02-16-2003, 11:31 AM
My school's name is "Huang's Kung Fu Academy". It is located on the SW corner of Warner and Dobson roads in Chandler. Come and check us out, Mr. Sanford.

Yes, I'm still learning from Wing Lam's video program - among other things. Are you also learning from Wing Lam's videos?

See count, "practicing all the time" can mean many different things.

I can imagine that when you are sitting on the toilet, you are using your chi and dantien to "get it out". That does constitute practice in a certain way, and I'm not being humorous.

Real people in the real world have jobs, obligations, physical needs, and all sorts of other things to which kung fu often should take a back seat.

As far as I'm concerned, maintaining one's health by getting enough rest (particularly when one is as overworked as this young man you complain about is) is more important than grinding it out through another kung fu practice as you prescribe.

Besides, if your mind is always on kung fu as opposed to what you're DOING, then you're basically wasting your time.

Yes Huang, practice even when you are sitting on the toilet. :rolleyes: Regardless of what some people think, there is much more value to learning kung fu than fighting. Maintaining ones health, for example, so that they may competantly handle the demands of ones job which according to your IRS filing is..? And no, I'm not complianing about anyone especially this person you post is one of your students. I don't know you or him or if either of you actually exists in reality. But one thing I do know, yawning has less to do with physical exhaustion than it does to do with proper breathing. :rolleyes:

Fred Sanford
02-16-2003, 03:49 PM
LOL

Somebody needs to stop by this clowns school to see if he really exists.

Water Dragon
02-18-2003, 11:46 AM
Right about now would be the perfect time for an internet no rules Death-match.

Fred Sanford
02-18-2003, 02:36 PM
LOL

taijiquan_student
02-18-2003, 09:35 PM
Man, think about how awesome this thread would be if it was on the Southern forum.

Fred Sanford
02-19-2003, 02:25 AM
nuh uh, my phoenix eye is better than yours.

count
02-19-2003, 06:51 AM
nuh uh, my phoenix eye is better than yours.
It b worsen than mys. Yur feenix b gay.:p

HuangKaiVun
02-19-2003, 12:28 PM
Yes, you really SHOULD come by - count and Sanford.

Some of my students would love to test your hands as well.

By the way, I gave a real address of a real business . I even told you which street corner I'm on. Do you have a problem finding your way to this location? I'll help you out.

Who the hell teaches you, count? What is this "yawning has less to do with physical exhaustion than it does to do with proper breathing" BS? Like you never yawn when you get tired? Do you even realize how STUPID you sound?

Personally, I want to see if I'm as fake as you guys think I am. My students want to see too.

count
02-19-2003, 01:36 PM
That's excellent Huang, fits right in. You must read the southern forum too. And the Shaolin forum, praying mantis forum,and every other style forum too. I guess it takes an expert like you to tell me how stupid I sound. Of course, I could always look it up in a book if it's related to science. If it's related to martial art, I could always rent a video. I guess I have no need for an expert like you after all. :p

Water Dragon
02-19-2003, 01:37 PM

Who the hell teaches you, count?

Jason Tsou dumb@ss.

Fred Sanford
02-19-2003, 02:49 PM
LOL

hairywhiteguy
02-19-2003, 03:08 PM
poop kung fu. D***, I know a bunch of old people we could prey on. ...

If you seriously believe that if I do something that I enjoy 20-30 hours out of the week, I won't think about it when I'm with a customer, or pooping. Of course I'm gonna go over my applications in my head on the last SOB that was a pain! Visualasations are imprtant. Or maybe realizing that causing him undue pain would be pointless. hehehehe To me, that is hard core training. When you wake, when you lie down, when you eat, when your working, it just amplifies you physical practice, stuff clicks really well. I know I can't always do it, but heck, give it a shot. No I'm not using chi-gung on my poo....but hey you thought of it, you want it you got it.

HuangKaiVun
02-21-2003, 10:06 AM
Then I'll talk directly to Jason Tsou - who I deeply respect - about this "yawning isn't due to fatigue" issue.

I still can't believe that people here don't yawn when they get tired.

Prairie
02-21-2003, 10:22 AM
I've yawned plenty of times because I'm simply tired and need some sleep.

I've yawned plenty of times because I'm exerting myself and have not been breathing very well. Can you believe that I've got a nasty habit of holding my breath? The yawning happens more when I'm working my legs a lot and not doing a good job breathing. I'm in danger of writing a real rant against myself. How can a person not do a good job at something we do our whole lives and mostly do without thinking about? Ok, I'll stop myself now.... <kick myself in the behind> :)

Bye for Now

Walter Joyce
02-21-2003, 10:31 AM
hey, cut that out!

;)

Prairie
02-21-2003, 10:37 AM
LOL! :)

count
02-21-2003, 11:17 AM
How come I yawn more when I wake up in the morning than before bed at night? After sleeping you would think I would not be tired. :confused: Actually huang, this didn't come from my martial arts teacher. Even though he has quite an excellent background in TCM, we mainly practice martial arts. I think I will ask him whet he thinks tomorrow. That trivial information, I just happen to remember from 3rd grade science. Yawning is the bodys reaction to oxygen deprivation. But it is kind of interesting that like in martial arts and TCM, you frequently should do the opposite of what you think you should. At any rate Huang, apparently you have taken this online banter way too seiously. Don't, you are very welcome to visit us anytime. We are really a very friendly bunch.:cool:

On a serious note, everyone is different and has different goals in martial arts. No one can tell you how much you should practice. What works for me doesn't apply across the board. Here's an analogy I'm sure you can relate to Huang. I play bass guitar. I have played "professionally" before. When I was learning, I had the advantage of really good teachers and band members to drive me to a higher level. Still, I had to practice 8 hours to be half as good as some of my friends who were just naturally talanted. Don't take anything I have said personally Huang. I'm sure you are a very nice person.:cool:

HuangKaiVun
02-21-2003, 11:27 AM
That's very cool, count.

I'm just trying to protect my school. That student really WAS tired that day, and tends to be due to his insane work schedule. You and your sifu would've sent him home as well if you had seen how red his eyes were when he entered class.

Meanwhile, I don't appreciate Fred Sanford trying to make up stories that my school doesn't exist. He thinks or anybody else I'm a fraud, he can try my hands. Let him come to Phoenix and talk like that - I can name at least 4 guys (including myself) who'd love to show him what "Huang Style" is all about.

Young as I am, I've had quite a few folks try to take me out in the past because of who I am and what I do. I as a professional sifu don't take kindly to anybody who wants to bully me just because I'm young, short, Chinese, or whatever. If they want to do that, I'm going to call them out and battle them out in the open.

I will respectfully visit you and your school (NO CHALLENGES) when I visit LA, count.

count
02-21-2003, 12:09 PM
Huang, your private box is full.;)

Fred Sanford
02-21-2003, 04:11 PM
yes your private box is full.

I honestly don't care enough about you to travel to Phoenix. I think you are funny. I guess you need 3 or 4 people for backup? Is that supposed to be the scarey threat, or does that one come later?

However, if you are ever in San Francisco let me know, I guarantee it won't be a friendly meeting.

This is my last comment on this thread.

Yawn.

Zhiu
02-24-2003, 10:31 PM
umm i haven't been here for a while but i read this post and it seems to have gotten nasty. i sure hope you people just calm down and not fight.

oh yeah and if you do fight the winner will be the one who is the purest intentions.

Laughing Cow
02-24-2003, 10:36 PM
Zhiu.

Here is my take on it.

Train daily, more important is how you well train than how long you train.
Psst, look at my sig. ;)

As one of my Sifu used to say:

"Treat TJQ training like meals, you don't skip meals so don't skip training either."

Cheers.

HuangKaiVun
02-25-2003, 11:04 AM
Sanford, you're scared!

No private messages, no desire to come "check me out"?

What's this, the guy who wants to personally see if my school is "for real" (see earlier this thread) is RUNNING AWAY????

Hey, that's the right way to save yourself from the trouble your mouth got you into. Back down and cut your losses.

I applaud you thoroughly for your change of heart. Your sifu would be proud of you.

TzuChan
02-25-2003, 02:17 PM
Yes, you really SHOULD come by - count and Sanford.

Some of my students would love to test your hands as well.

By the way, I gave a real address of a real business . I even told you which street corner I'm on. Do you have a problem finding your way to this location? I'll help you out.

Who the hell teaches you, count? What is this "yawning has less to do with physical exhaustion than it does to do with proper breathing" BS? Like you never yawn when you get tired? Do you even realize how STUPID you sound?

Personally, I want to see if I'm as fake as you guys think I am. My students want to see too.

Not to start anything, but since alot of my friends are studying to become a doctor, I asked this question a couple of times before.

And yawning happens : When you are tired, to make your circulation pump up a bit.

BUT it also happens when you don't breath properly (or just after a long time of no yawning), in your lungs you have this very thin 'layer' with bubbles in between (hey I'm not a doctor :)) and when you yawn you make it put itself into place and the bubbles get filled again or something like that. So it's not just because you are tired, you also yawn because of that .. natural need/restoration function. It's not totally correct what I'm saying, it was something like that though =)

Fred Sanford
02-25-2003, 04:33 PM
ok one last post.

nah no private messages for some reason your inbox was full. I'll just post this info publicly because I don't care.

for one I'm not scared of whatever made up bs you are teaching. Come to San Francisco. I will kick your ass you sorry little queer. Here's my phone number, call me when you get here. My name is Paul Meyer and my phone number is 408-375-2001.

Why waste the money going to Phoenix? You are a nobody.

and for the record I never said I was personally going to go by your sorry little school. I said someone should go check it out to see if you really exist. see this is a quote of what I actually said vs. your paraphrasing or lack of reading comprehension.

Somebody needs to stop by this clowns school to see if he really exists.

ok, now I'm done

Water Dragon
02-25-2003, 06:21 PM
Fred, did you troll me about a year ago?

Fred Sanford
02-25-2003, 07:03 PM
Not that I am aware of. Feeling left out?

Brad
02-25-2003, 08:35 PM
My name is Paul Meyer
Then who's Fred Sanford? :confused:

Fred Sanford
02-25-2003, 09:01 PM
ever heard of Sanford and Son the tv show, sheesh.

Brad
02-25-2003, 09:04 PM
Ahh... I get it now. I wasn't trying to be mean or anything, I was just genuinely confused! Never watched that show, lol.

count
02-26-2003, 07:15 AM
Fred,
You got a face like a gorilla!

Fred Sanford
02-27-2003, 02:34 AM
You got a face like a gorilla!

Turns you on doesn't it? you pervert.

count
02-27-2003, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by Fred Sanford

Turns you on doesn't it? you pervert.
Now, but it sure turned on your mama. I can't believe out of 10,000 sperm you got there first.

HuangKaiVun
02-27-2003, 11:00 AM
Then COME, Meyer!

If you're not scared of "whatever BS I'm teaching", GET YOUR BUTT OVER HERE and put our school down in person.

You'll beat me down easily, and you'll prove to the world that I'm a total fraud. It'll be worth the trip because then you'll put at least one miserable kung fu school out of existence.

Now is the time for action. You know where I am, you know where to find me. We all know that you'll never show your face, but I'll leave my door open for you. Come on weeknights, 5-9 PM.

Keep in mind that the longer you wait, the more I'll be teaching my "BS" to the future generation. In fact, one of my students just used that BS to SAVE HER LIFE against an evil guy. Why don't you let her show you how this BS works for real?

I welcome your challenge to show the world how your art makes mine "BS". If your sifu feels the same way as you do, let HIM come as well.

Water Dragon
02-27-2003, 11:41 AM
If your sifu feels the same way as you do, let HIM come as well.

Now that's something I would pay to see ;)

HuangKaiVun
02-27-2003, 02:03 PM
Actually, me too. :D

Fred Sanford
02-27-2003, 02:41 PM
you have no idea who i currently train with and who i have trained with in the past.

keep studying those wing lam video tapes, tough guy.

If I ever happen to be in Phoenix on business I will definately be by, or if you want to send me airfare via paypal go right ahead.

in the meantime you have my phone number and you know where a live, like i said call me if you are ever in san francisco.

HuangKaiVun
02-27-2003, 03:10 PM
I will keep studying those Wing Lam video tapes, Paul Meyer. Thanks for that encouragement.

There's all sorts of stuff on there that is useful in real combat. You'll see how we apply it.

Bring your sifu. I'd love to meet him in person.

Fred Sanford
02-27-2003, 04:51 PM
LOL