PDA

View Full Version : MA shops in central London

phoenix-eye
01-17-2003, 05:49 AM
I'm coming down to London on business in mid February and was wondering where the best MA shops are in central London? I'll be staying near Leicester Square.

I seem to remember there was a shop (Shaolin Way?) in Chinatown when I was there some years ago. Is it still there and are there any others?

I'm specifically looking for Butterfly Knives and a Chain Whip. (to fight off the laydeez...)

;)

Also, I might have a night off and wouldn't mind going along to a good MA class. I'm doing Hung Gar at the moment and, as available styles are a bit limited up in Scotland, I would be keen to see something a bit different - like Mantis. Any recommendations?

I've done seminars with Shaolin Temple UK's Shi Yanzi before and thought about taking a trip out to his school (Tufnel Park) - how far out is this?

Thanks for any help

PE

Kaitain(UK)
01-17-2003, 06:00 AM
Yeah Shaolin Way is still open and going strong - bit further out is Playwell (Harrow). There's the Lonsdale shop but they don't do chainwhips :) Shaolin have loads of good vids btw - I picked up a bunch of Gracie tapes and UFC's that i hadn't seen (if that's your thing)

Not sure what to suggest class wise - there's so many clubs in London.... dunno where Tufnel Park is though

Sharky
01-17-2003, 12:20 PM
Yeah, there are a few around china town, near where you're staying. Shaolin way won't have chains and stuff though will they?

Austin Gohs shop is just off Carnaby street, which is just off (or right next to) Regents Street. They have wooden dummys, pads, books, video's etc. Although i remember them being expensive, even when Austin Goh was my sifu, he'd shaft you up the arse and not think twice about it.

There isn't a massive, great, wonderful one-stop shop that i know about really. There should be though.

Take care

Souljah
01-17-2003, 03:25 PM
Another suggestion would be tao-sports (in haringay). Their not strict into kung fu like shaolin way but I do remember them having a large selection of weapons - definately saw some butterfly knifes, dont know about a chain whip though. Theres also a 'shaolin-do' school on the same road if thats your thing.

I do remember hearing about a white crane school in covent garden (or somewhere close), has anyone heard of this place or been to it? I havent been able to locate it. The soft-speaking guy in shaolin way said he'd look into it for me...i'll go down there tomorrow to see if theres has been any luck.

dezhen2001
01-17-2003, 04:51 PM
i usually go to Shaolin Way as well (i remember Austin Gohs place too Sharky :D). yap Leong has a good selection of books and videos there, and im sure he will have some Hung butterfly knives. Not so sure about the chain whip as for sure its pretty rare, but i would guess either he will or know someone who does.

have a good time in london - hopefully im gonna be down there someitme in feb/march too :)

dawood

carly
01-17-2003, 05:00 PM
that a great, huge, multi-cultural city like London wouldn't have a place with all the Chinese martial arts supplies. Are there few Chinese there? Is kung fu popular and available?

dezhen2001
01-17-2003, 05:46 PM
london has plenty of places - u just gotta know where to look (which is the fun part) :)

dawood

R
01-17-2003, 05:50 PM
You can buy more cheaply over the internet and also not have to transport stuff in your car.

http://www.gwangung.co.uk/

These guys do a light chain whip for 9.99 and a book for another 9. Butterfly knives are 20 pounds. Some of their kit is a bit naff but overall they have the best prices in the UK. Best if you can get by and see what they sell.

SO stop in Leicester on the way if you can or order over the net....

Cheers from the midlands.

R

Andrew
01-18-2003, 07:33 AM
Look in the back of Combat magazine for Shi Yanzi's website
you'll be able to the address and training timetables there.

If you study Hung Kune. What about visiting Jim Uglow, www.kungfu.co.uk to visit
Jim Uglow's school. I think its in Wood Green. There is another
school that trains at the Elephant and castle, but exact details
I cannot remember.

Andrew

Sharky
01-18-2003, 08:08 AM
sifu shi yanzi trains in brixton, doesn't he? i would have liked to have seen him in action, or view a class some time. why not go have a look?

ps - if anyone offers you anything, say no, and don't make direct eye contact with anyone, but don't look at the floor *heh*

phoenix-eye
01-18-2003, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the replies everybody

I've had a look at Gwangung on the net but some of the stuff seems a bit "wushu". Y'know tin foil swords and stuff. They've got some nice looking broadswords but I don't want to fork out for a set of knives that would be better for slapping than cutting.......

I've also checked out www.kungfusupply.co.uk. It's run by Derek Frearson(mantis and wing chun - advertises in back of Combat) and has some cool looking stuff - including whip chains. I've been going to order from there but they don't take orders over the net. That's why I thought I'd try in London when I'm down.

I'll drop in to Shaolin Way and have a good look around.

I quite fancy running by Jim Uglow's school and I'll look into it on his website - cheers.

By the way - what do you suggest for taking butterfly swords back to Scotland on the plane? Who do you tell at the airport so you don't set off all the alarms and stuff?

Cheers

PE

dezhen2001
01-18-2003, 10:50 AM
i think u could probably get Shaolin Way or whoever to post deliver them... coz i wouldnt think u would get thru airport security like that mate!

as for shi yanzi, i dunno if he lets anyone watch his classes or not - or there would be a queue out the door.

dawood

R
01-18-2003, 02:15 PM
Last time I saw my sifu I brought back a horse cutter from Canada with me. Just cut off the handle and put the blade in my suitcase. No one even bothered to ask me what it was heh heh. I took a wushu broadsword through with me ON a different plane (before 9/11) and I was able to talk them into letting me keep it.....sort of helped that they had detoured me into the US and force me to go through US customs before going to the UK.

In Canada I had to take my boots off twice while they didn't even search me at all in the UK!

So put them in your suitcase! Hey even fingernail clippers and the like were being confiscated on international flights.

Cheers, R

phoenix-eye
01-20-2003, 12:05 PM
Duhhh uhhhh

I wasn' t thinking about carrying them in my hand luggage.......

I can see the News of the World headlines now......

Can you see me trying to argue that the BF knives are really just a new style of Gillette? Or cutlery for the visually impaired....

And the chain whip is a swanky new Versace belt....